standard engine transplant worthwhile? or wasteing my time dreaming

Jmii

looking to buy a vRS and cant find any with low mileage (less then 80k) at around the 5g mark.

I'm finding some in 100k mark which I know is fine, I should be able to get 120k with no probs. But just say I got one of these and the engine gave up at 120k (I know highly unlikely if taken care of), by then I'd like to think I would have some more money saved up:rofl:, how realistic/worthwhile is a engine transplant say from a cheap 1.9tdi comfort (example: insurance write off, rear ended), just keep the vRS turbos and what ever else can be salvaged to keep power at min 130bhp? this is prob a very stupid question I just don't wanna waste my money on a car that will last 3 years or so.

When I get my payout I need to get a car for work a.s.a.p, so cant hang around for them dream deals thats pop up once in a blue moon. =(

I might end up just getting another comfort :(

There's a HUGE difference between what's under the bonnet of a Fabia vRS and any other diesel Fabia - just ask Jason (Devonutopia). Like BRUN's said, if you can afford an engine transplant, you can afford a better car. As long as your high-miler hasn't been remapped or otherwise tampered-with, and has had its cambelt changed every 60k or 4 years, then it should see you right for many years! :thumbup: Even remapped ones deserve a second look, as they're often looked after better so the extra TLC they receive more than compensates for the increase strain the extra power puts on the drivetrain... :)

If it's looked after, no reason it won't last for 200k, mines got 82k and there is no way it's going anywhere soon, so it will probably have upwards of 150k when it goes, but as ap0gee says, so long as the cam belt is done at the correct times there should be no problem.

Just make sure there is a good service history with it just to reasure yourself it's been looked after.

The main things to look for are the usual things like console bushes etc!

200k miles, and the rest. I know of several examples of that engine that have been driven to the Moon and back (joys of knowing people who taxi).

There you go Jmii, no need to worry mate, they just keep on going!

Rock solid engine, no probs!

Hey PastyBoy that deal is 214 miles away =)

I know the engine's do go forever, well Ive found a gem but its not a skoda, it's a Audi A4 on 02 reg 79,000 miles same engine 1.9tdi 130bhp, with f.s.h 4 miles from my house asking for 3,800 I'm gonna offer 3,500.

all the same end of the day. I don't know why i couldn't find a similar skoda engine that cheap

if the Merc club has a Million Mile club section.... I am sure we can his 200,000K in a fabia. I have seen Passats and Octavia TDI's with 300,000K+ Don't worry about the milliage, if your getting a fabia with 100,000K on it then is has only just been worn in :)