Favorit 1.3 turning but not firing.

I get home, agreed to take my gran somewhere then get told my Car won't start up.

Checked the car earlier and the starter turns but the car doesn't fire

The starter sounded rough when i bought the car.

I'm guessing it's prob the starter.

If the starters the same as the 1.6 i can scavenge it off the Felicia.

I know from previous posts here other things to check are the alternator and earth points right?

If the starter's spinning normally or fast, and the engine isn't spinning, it's the solonoid.

If the engine's spinning but not firing, it's fuel or ignition, and with a Favorit I'd tend towards ignition unless it has an electric fuel pump.

I might have to stick the fuel pump/sender in from the Felicia. To see what happens.

How do you know if the engines spinning or not?

You can hear the starter going but the engine doesnt appear to be firing.

My dad suspected petrol might be low but the low fuel light hasnt been on.

You can hear the engine turning over, and sometimes, if it turns for long enough, you can make the oil pressure light go out.

Also, you might hear it trying to start. If so, I'd suspect the battery.

I really don't know what system these have for fueling etc. Do they have a crank sensor?

Could be the coil... perhaps you could take the lead off that comes from the coil to the dizzy and hold it (with a big pair of rubber handled pliers!) against the engine block while someone cranks it over and see if you're getting a spark.

Phil

I shall flick through the Haynes to get acquainted with the engine's sensors and coils.

Stuck in a jimmy can full of petrol still didnt fire. So it's not cause the tank is empty.

My Dad says it can't be the starter. The only reason I suspect that is because even when I let go of the key the starter motor gives a light wheeze or maybe thats just the sound it makes and it's never heard over the engine.

Could be the crank sensor on the gearbox. The 1.6 Felicia has the crank sensor in the distributor I believe so that's not useable. Also the Felicia 1.3 crank sensors are slightly different to the Fav's. The fav's has a lead attached whereas the Felicia one has a socket on top.

Ignition coil can be tested following Haynes instructions with a multimeter

Well, if the starter motor's turning, and it's got fuel at the "rail" (carb, throttle body, injectors, whatever) then if the engine's turning over, it must be ignition; sensors already discussed. Otherwise it must be the solonoid, so spin it on the starter and look to see if the front pulleys are turning!

Well its been fixed for now

Fuel Pump was sticking. My mechanic was round this afternoon and cleaned up the old pump, and the engine was purring :D

He did say if it happens again swap it for the Felicias pump although it'll need a bit of bodging as the connectors are slightly different. (these can be snipped off the Felly)

I'm just happy my Favorit is running again!!

• 1 month later...

Oh Sh** Not anymore

I was dropping off the soldering iron I borrowed off Paulsyd and the car didn't start afterwards!!

Called my sister, went to Asda then went back to the car later.

Hit the pump with a hammer and the car fired back up.........only to cut off as soon as I drove around the corner!!

Think the pumps well and truly gone!

I guess the filter has been changed in the last few years and is installed in the correct orientation (arrow pointing towards engine)?

Based on the Butts of Bawtry catalogue it looks like the fuel pump on the 1.3 spi felicia (models up to 7/96) is the same as the Favorit one - which may be easier to find in a scrappie (edit: just typed all that and realised you pointed this out above :) ). Might be worth checking the wiring carefully first though and cleaning any connections up a little with contact cleaner.

I emailed that guy breaking the Favorit.

I want the parcel shelf, the bits where the shelf sits (plastic trim bits) and the fuel pump!

My street looks odd without my Favorit outside. Will have to get it towed home.

The bits the shelf sit on would probably be a good location for some speakers if there are decent sounding ones in a size that will fit in there :)

Parcel shelf had gone and one of the sides had broke.

They thought it was a carb model but the guy who looked at the car said it was an LXI Plus

Gonna ring now and see how jmuch the fuel pump is.

Brand new from a dealer £220 for a fuel pump!! I almost said f*** in astonishment down the phone!!

As it has I in the model it will be injection. But easy way to tell. If fuel pump is mechanical and bolted on front of the engine it's the carb. If it's hidden under the rear seat it's injection. I'd search the local scrappies for a 1.3 spi felly. I don't think the pump is difficult to remove or needs many tools.

No it doesn't. It's very similar to my Felicia. But i can't seem to unscrew the top fro my Favorit. Will get my mechanic to do it once I get the new fuel pump.

I have paypalled the guy for the fuel pump unit from the Favorit and gonna get the pump back from the guy I sold my Felicia to.

2 Fuel Pumps are better than 1 :D

I had a similar problem with my 1.3 felly 1999.For a while she would start then nothing and i could still hear the starter whiring.I took of the starter to have a look and the soleniod had broken.Not sure if the favorit has the same starter.But if it does they suffer from not having an enclosed shaft.Mine had shot out of place when the solenoid switched on and went past the flywheel hence no starting.the new one has a revised design where the shaft is enclosed.to check this take the starter out and try bump starting the car .If i remember right the new starter was about £90 on a part exchange basis

(From Haynes) the felicia 1.3 mpi and 1.6 mpi use a fuel pump which delivers 1100 cm cubed per minute with a regulated pressure of 2.5 bar. The 1.3 spi does 1000 cm cubed per minute and regulates a pressure of 0.8 to 1.2 bar. I suspect the extra pressure of the other fuel pump is to supply the 4 injectors adequately (compared with the spi's one injector).

Probably. I haven't studied my version of the Haynes manual that deep though.

My mechanic told my Dad he might be able to fit the fuel pump off a Micra onto it though.

Luckily I bought the one from that Blue Favorit being broken up off Ebay.

According to haynes, observe supply and return arrow markings (and label the hoses). Remove hoses. Apparently a plastic securing ring unscrews using a pair of water pump pliers, and there is a flange and seal to remove. It then says turn he pump/sender unit to the left to release it from it's bayonet fitting and lift it out allowing fuel to drain out.

To refit haynes states take care not to bend the float arm, when correctly installed pump/sender unit float arm must be 90 degrees to the centre line of the vehicle, smear the tank aperture rubber seal with clean fuel, arrow markings on sender unit body and fuel tank must be aligned, and reconnect hoses to correct port.