Superb - Wiper problem

Help - we have recently purchased a Superb 1.9TDi which 99.9% is fantastic and is a replacement to our missed Octavia which was wiped out in an argument with another car!

The Superb has has been to the garage twice for a fault with the intermittent wiper. On both occassions they have drawn a blank on fixing the problem.

Here goes:-

When on intermittent the wipers wipe the screen once or twice (at the most) and then do not wipe the screen again. Wipers will work correctly if on continually slow and fast speed.

The switch, wiper stalk and motor have all been changed and the fault persists.

Any help would be most gratefully received and thank you all for reading.

:confused::confused:

Edited by dave2773
Incorrect spelling

OK, whether it is rain sensing or not, check/change wiper control relay.

Gray box for the ones with rain sensor, brown box for the ones without rain sensor. Around stlg30 at stealer, they're interchangeable with the Octavia (Mk I at least).

Actually these relays are interchangeable, so if you do not like the way rain sensor uses up your wipers, just replace the relay and hey presto-fixed intermittent mode. That is what I did (I am using RainX and this was driving the rain sensor mad :mad:).

The rain sensor is activated when the little rocker switch is on the max or furthest right position on the stalk. Hope this helps...

Are you sure about that? I've got a B5 Passat and not much is said about this "adjustable delay" switch when rain sensing wipers are fitted - I always thought that this "adjustable delay" might just adjust the sensitivity or response of the system to match what you expect to happen.

Are you sure about that? I've got a B5 Passat and not much is said about this "adjustable delay" switch when rain sensing wipers are fitted - I always thought that this "adjustable delay" might just adjust the sensitivity or response of the system to match what you expect to happen.

I think the manual for the Superb states that the little switch on top of the wiper stalk sets the sensitivity of the rain sensor, lemme check.

I think the manual for the Superb states that the little switch on top of the wiper stalk sets the sensitivity of the rain sensor, lemme check.

Yeah, I think it does - but only on models with rain sensitive wipers. On poverty spec models it controls the delay between wipes as mentioned above.

Correct, after posting that I checked the on-line manual with the link on this site, my Passat must have been too old for VW to work out that fuller expanation was required in the manual when "rain sensing" was fitted - even although I did get supplied with the latest (last) issue of the B5 manual from VW-UK at M-K.

Help - we have recently purchased a Superb 1.9TDi which 99.9% is fantastic and is a replacement to our missed Octavia which was wiped out in an argument with another car!

The Superb has has been to the garage twice for a fault with the intermittent wiper. On both occassions they have drawn a blank on fixing the problem.

Here goes:-

When on intermittent the wipers wipe the screen once or twice (at the most) and then do not wipe the screen again. Wipers will work correctly if on continually slow and fast speed.

The switch, wiper stalk and motor have all been changed and the fault persists.

Any help would be most gratefully received and thank you all for reading.

:confused::confused:

If you have rain sensors on your screen the intermittent wash wipe will not work unless the sensor is wet (will not work on a dry screen)

The sensor is located in the rear view mirror part of the screen, pour some water on the sensor then try your int wash wipe again.

What? I'd hope the OP had worked out that "no rain" means "no wiping" - surely I'm not the exception to this way of thinking?

• 8 years later...
On 4/2/2009 at 15:45, dieselV6 said:

OK, whether it is rain sensing or not, check/change wiper control relay.

Gray box for the ones with rain sensor, brown box for the ones without rain sensor. Around stlg30 at stealer, they're interchangeable with the Octavia (Mk I at least).

Actually these relays are interchangeable, so if you do not like the way rain sensor uses up your wipers, just replace the relay and hey presto-fixed intermittent mode. That is what I did (I am using RainX and this was driving the rain sensor mad :mad:).

I have a Skoda Octavia MKI and the rain sensor is driving me mad - could you, dieselV6, tell me which relay(make and model) to use soI  presto-fixed intermittent mode, instead of the rainsensor relay - thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

You need part number 4B0955531C or E, relay is marked "603", under a tenner on eBay, older versions were marked 377 and 389.  

Your current rain sensing relay is 1J0955531A and is marked "192" and grey in colour.

Installation is plug and play, remove lower dashboard cover, take out relay 192, insert relay 603 (or 389/377) in its place.