Quality Issues

dan123

My car is now 16 months old (130 Comfort) and has covered about 35000 miles.

Problems to date;

Boot wouldn't close(bounced back)

Boot lid now stiff to close.

Bonnet pull broke, took 2 full days to repair.

Climate control broke down, 4 full days to repair(including removing the whole dash unit).(Good point;was given a 130PD Octavia as courtesy car)

Seats wearing prematurely

Electric windows failed, then miraculously started working again on the way to the dealer.

Split in air intake(or something like that) leading to snuffling resonance at 1500rpm

Chassis creaks when getting into car.

Controversial this one, constant disagreements with dealer that Superb drivers should always and automatically be given the best courtesy car available.(light blue touch paper and stand back, I'm not joking though, if you drive an 18K car you shouldn't be given a 1.2 Fabia as a coutesy car.)

Rear seat belts lock up in normal use and are hence difficult to use with children or child seats.

Power socket no longer works.

Anyone else have similar experiences? I know 35K miles is a fair few but surely I should expect better durability.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is about 17/18 months old, but with only 11k on the clock. Only things I find are a slightly stiffish boot lid...ie doesnt open on its own fully once unlocked and released, and again slight signs of fabric wear on the seat fabric.

Other than that..all is well.

ps... I understand what you mean about the loan car thing though, and I have to say that when mine goes in for its first service I will be expecting someting better than a base Fabia.

My car is now 16 months old (130 Comfort) and has covered about 35000 miles.

...drive an 18K car you shouldn't be given a 1.2 Fabia as a coutesy car....

Anyone else have similar experiences? I know 35K miles is a fair few but surely I should expect better durability.

Mate of mine drives a TVR and has had a 1.2 Corsa as a courtesy car before.

My Superb 130 Classic is almost 2 years old, nudging towards 40,000 and I'm less than happy.

Stiff boot (seems to be standard)

Had what felt like a total brake failure - front discs and pads replaced under warranty.

Then had a bizzare fault where some interior lights worked and others didn't, including under door lights / glove box / boot light. - Thanks to Briskoda this was diagnosed as a water leak around the pollen filter housing which found its way to the control box for interior lights - this can be found under the carpet just in front of the front passenger seat.

And the worst is still not fixed. Had total loss of turbo power - couple of bits replaced, this left the car with an intermitant turbo which gets switched off because the CPU decides that there is overboost when there isn't. Car been at the dealers for 1 day, then 3 days, then 4 weeks and 1 day, then back for a few vacuum pipes (while U wait), and now its back again, currently 2 days

This has been going on since 10th June - up till then I was happy enough with the car - now - well what do you think?

I bought the car on the basis of reasonable performance / comfort - good mpg and reliability, and the last one I haven't got :mad:

Vince

Oh and the rear seatbelt thing is a bit annoying, but it does hold a child car seat in very well indeed.

I'm afraid your overboost problems sound as if you could be heading for a new Turbo but you'll only get one after they've tried everything else such as boost solenoid, vacuum pipes etc. This problem was the reason I got rid of my Galaxy 115hp it got a turbo under warranty and came back not exactly 100% .

I'm afraid your overboost problems sound as if you could be heading for a new Turbo...

First time in, it had a new MAF and solenoid.

Second time in, had a new turbo.

Third time it was in they changed virtually everything else related to the turbo system, ECU and some vacuum pipes.

Then the rest of the vacuum pipes.

My hunch is that one of the new parts fitted is faulty ie boost solenoid is sticking - sometimes car sounds like it has a DV but diesels don't have them I believe, and sometimes there is a delay before boost starts building.

Vince

My boot lid is still okay! (4500 miles / 2.5 months)

Annoying creak in dash.

Booming exhaust at 1300 revs - will get this booked in to look at this.

Doesn't surprise me about the wear on the seats. The quality of the seats is definately a step down from my previous Passat.

Still relatively happy with it though :)

boot lid is okay, they oil the doors and boot here in greece at the services

never had any problems with bonnet pull (that silly black plastic thing, isnt it?)

the climate control thing should not be credited to superb, unfortunately it is a universal vag part and problem.

the seats.. come on, got to have all-leather in a car this size

I have changed my sunroof because it was making noises (found out the right side clipper was broken)

I changed the valve responsible for cold start (sometimes it wouldnt start with 1st time i turned ignition)

30.000km and thats about my problems

1.8t trim by the way

My boot lid is still okay! (4500 miles / 2.5 months)

Booming exhaust at 1300 revs - will get this booked in to look at this.

I thought I had a rattle on the exhaust, turned out to be 2 of the plastic covers on top of the engine rattling against each other - this happend about 1300 and died off by 1500 rpm.

Vince

Oh yeah, garage put a bit of rubber / foam stuff between them and the noise has stopped - done without asking when car was serviced.

My TDI elegance 110 has now done 29k in 14 months and the only problem I've had is a slightly sticky passenger seatbelt that was like that when new but I never got round to getting done.

The only other problem has been someone driving into it but I cant hold Skoda to blame for that.

I have changed my sunroof because it was making noises (found out the right side clipper was broken)

I changed the valve responsible for cold start (sometimes it wouldnt start with 1st time i turned ignition)

30.000km and thats about my problems

1.8t trim by the way

What was that valve responsible of the cold starts??? I have a Octavia L&K 1.8T that suffer from the same thing and the VAG computer says everything is OK :eek:

THX

I live in Central America and the only Superbs that the dealer bring here to my country are the 1.8T 20V which does not have to many extras and the V6 2.8 30Valves full extras.

Have any one of you have experience with the V6 one? I want to trade in my wife Skoda Octavia Combi for a Superb V6

Mine is a Superb Elegance 1.9TDi (Full Leather)

Only problem I've had is a sticky interior handle on the passenger door. It sometimes doesn't spring back when released. Sorted by the dealer in about 20 minutes while I waited.

I've have the car for 4 weeks now, and done 3500 miles.

Bagpuss.

• 3 weeks later...

This stiff boot fault seems all too common. My PD 130 Comfort has had the problem for about 5000 miles, currently 7 months old and 18000 miles. Isn't it fixed under warranty? I thought the problem was failure of the gas struts? As I'm on variable servicing I'm still waiting for the computer to decide it's time and currently have put about 1.5 litres of oil (liquid gold ?) in - 250 ml a month so far - is this typical ? Apart from the boot thing I've had no problems so far (I'm touching wood as I type).

Phil

Superb PD130 Comfort with "easyklean"17" solid alloys

This stiff boot fault seems all too common. My PD 130 Comfort has had the problem for about 5000 miles' date=' currently 7 months old and 18000 miles. Isn't it fixed under warranty? I thought the problem was failure of the gas struts? As I'm on variable servicing I'm still waiting for the computer to decide it's time and currently have put about 1.5 litres of oil (liquid gold ?) in - 250 ml a month so far - is this typical ? Apart from the boot thing I've had no problems so far (I'm touching wood as I type).

Phil

Superb PD130 Comfort with "easyklean"17" solid alloys[/quote']

Mine was the linkage pivot points tightening up, and was solved with some liberal 3in1 oil and lots of opening/closing of the boot lid. All sorted now and easy to open/close on its own.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Mine is an 03 1.9tdi elegance, problems included rattling @ 1500rpm , stiff boot lid, bonnet release, creaking rear seat ( very annoying) .

took the car to Auto-Sales at Bilston cured it all in 1 day. They advised the boot lid is subject to a Skoda bullitin to specially lubricate , after they'd done it it nearly took my head off. Also after 3 months the problem has'nt returned, the rattling is the plastic air intake cover - when its fixed you realise how noisy it made the car. Hope this helps

morgan

btw its done 40000miles

• 6 months later...

I collected my Superb Elegance TDI at 11 00 am yesterday with delivery mileage only. At 24 miles a warning light came on and the automatic transmission went into emergency mode. The dealer has never encountered such a problem and as I write, they are, on Skoda technical services advice interogating every single electrical circuit in the car. Having had 3 previous trouble feee Octavias I am sitting here wandering as to whether this purchase has been a big mistake.

No matter how well the manufacturer puts it's cars together there is always the chance of problems. It's unlucky that you are the one that's been caught here , but I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Savilles garage have just rung me, apparently the problem was down to a single valve that is currently being replaced. It will be ready for collection this afternoon.Excellent service.
Good to hear it is being sorted quickly. And many thanks for posting feedback on the dealer. :)

Step father just traded his in for octavia now.

Cracking car his superb.Faults in two years? Sticking boot like everyone else and the plastic on the ashtray thing peeled (replaced under warranty)

Not one complaint in ownership.Obviously happy enough to buy another skoda(just didn't want such a big car this time)