sorry , dumb *** question

ric04vrs

if i have a wireless enabled laptop (802.11b/g) and it is currently plugged into a Sagem broadband modem, what exactly do i need to buy to make it wireless ?

good, and reasonably priced products to buy would be helpful too

please be kind as i am having a bit of bad time at the moment , as some of my recent posts will testify to :rotz:

You need a wireless router Ric. Is your broadband BT-based or through a cable company? This will matter for which type of router you buy.

Steve

You'll need a wireless router with decent transfer speed, and one suited to your broadband connection - i.e. a cable router, or an ASDL router for telephone broadband.

Your local PCworld should sort you out. Or if you're due to change your ISP, try and get one for nowt.

Yes, an ADSL wireless router will do the trick. That will do the job that the Sagem currently does, but allows allows computers to connect wirelessly to it.

Something like: NETGEAR DG834G Wireless-G ADSL2+ Modem Router - Ebuyer or http://www.ebuyer.com/product/94017 - plenty to choose from :)

Steve

You could keep your existing Tiscali box and get a bridge.

Tenda Wireless-G Access Point - Ebuyer

But don't, get a router.

Check your current broadband deal, it might be worth while cancelling and taking up a new deal that will supply the wireless kit for free.

Remember to enable the security if you don't want the neighbours using it.

I wouldn't touch TalkTalk with a barge pole personally, but the sentiment is right - by changing supplier you could get a better deal, and wireless kit into the bargain.

Steve

i am pritty sure if you just call Tiscali up they will give you a free upgrade. Sky will.

Also Talk Talk isn't bad I have loads of customers using it and it works fine.

if Tiscali will not give you a free upgrade you want a AP (Access Point) not a bridge, i bridge is used to join or strengthen a wirless signal over a large distance.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132431 this will do you fine as your laptop dosn't have Wireless N.

You can only use this thou if the Modem/Router you have is RJ45 ethernet cable, if it is USB them its a compleate new router I am affraid.

Edited by phil_monk

Ive just moved to BE* - time will tell if they are any good... seem good so far as will be connected next thurs :D

Damn - could have recommended you and we'd have both got a month free :)

I bought a router for £50 and we can't get it to work either on cable (two desktops) or on laptop with BT link ISP, plus Googled loads of forums about probs getting them set up and working for laptops...

No help at all as I'm not techie enough, so just thinking to keep pennies in pocket until there's a good chance that you know it will work and not via Press 1 at £1 per minute if it doesn't lol.

Mo

Gosh thanks guys :o Have given up on ours so no worries.

Wasn't intended as a hijack, just that routers don't always seem to do what they say on the tin (or at least don't seem to be plug-and-play) from what I've read was all. More hoping that ric04vrs would buy or do something that did work first go for him :) As said, it's a bit beyond me to know what that might be. *Goes back to knitting*

Many thanks and best to ric04vrs :)

Mo

• 2 weeks later...

WOOHOO, I'm up and running ,wirelessly connected to the Tinternet , wasn't to difficult to do either

just need to sort out how to access my old email account from the TalkTalk connection