Brakes not very progressive

I've always found the brakes on wifey's Octy non-progressive & very 'grabby'.

Even with a light amount of braking, at slowish speeds, there seems to be little braking for a second or so, then a very sudden bite... It makes it very difficult to brake evenly and progressively.

Is this a common trait or indication of something wrong?

Car has done approx 50K now, and I don't think front nor rear pads have been replaced yet (will need to re-check service records) -- but it's always behaved in this manner since new.

The brakes on the Octy are IMHO very 'sharp' on initial application to the point of being over servoed but beyond this you perhaps have two issues;

1. The pads are worn and there is therefore a degree of 'play' before the pads have full contact with the discs, when pressure is applied to the pedal. This perhaps is making it difficult to judge the 'bite point', and

2. If the brakes are only ever used lightly they perhaps need cleaning up. Have a look at the discs; are they clean and shiny, almost polished or dull? The bedding in process as suggested by vRSLen should sort them out.

I think you've also given a clue with 'wifey's Octy'. As Bahnstormer says, the Octy brakes are sharp, but if you're drving the car all the time, you quickly adjust. If you're only an occaisional driver (of 'Wifey's' car) you probably never get used to adusting your driving style to allow for the 'grabby' brakes.

I find my vRS brakes quite a bit over-assisted, but have no delay whatsoever from application of foot to start of retardation. As others have suggested, maybe a problem with pads needing bedding in, or possibly a disk is warped ?

If I have been driving my Transporter for a while I have to recalibrate my braking effort when I get back in the Octy or risk burying the front spoiler in the bitumen when all I wanted to do was gently slow down.

IIRC there was a thread here some time ago about similar Octy braking problems - I can't remember what the final answer was.

I find my vRS brakes quite a bit over-assisted, but have no delay whatsoever from application of foot to start of retardation. As others have suggested, maybe a problem with pads needing bedding in, or possibly a disk is warped ?

If I have been driving my Transporter for a while I have to recalibrate my braking effort when I get back in the Octy or risk burying the front spoiler in the bitumen when all I wanted to do was gently slow down.

IIRC there was a thread here some time ago about similar Octy braking problems - I can't remember what the final answer was.

Here are some comments I made in a thread about 9 months ago that may help and if you do a search for 'DS2500' it will pull up several informative threads;-

I switched my front pads to Ferodo DS2500s on 1st service at 18,000; not that they needed to be changed but I wanted a better pad.

Whilst I reckoned my vRS brakes were up to scratch I found that they faded after the initial (too sharp) bite, particularly on a long application from speed. I had used the Ferodo DS2500s in my Fabia and also have them fitted in my wife's FIAT Doblo (the OE brakes for which ARE terrible); both to excellent effect.

Got them fitted, bedded them in (as per instructions as they are really a 'race' pad) and for the past 2,000 miles wunderbar!!

Initial application is still excellent, but not too sharp, and then stopping power is maintained without any increase in pedal pressure even on a long hard stop. DS2500s are not cheap, about £120 for a front pair inc P&P, but then cheapest is seldom the best. If the £££ are an issue though others here reckon the EBC Redstuff (ceramics) to the job well; as well.

I bought mine (DS2500s) from Demon Tweeks Motorsport, Motorcycle, Modifying, Parts and Accessories (ask for Chris Rhodes).

Same again. Jumped back into my Octy after having a Focus hire car for the day, and the level of intial 'assistance' takes you by surprise. I have got to say that on occasion the assistance can make the car more difficult to drive smoothly, even even you have been driving the car for months. This would appear to be a VAG trait (Transporters excepted). I was also taken out in a Passat a few weeks ago by someone who had never driven the car before, and he nearly put us through the windscreen the first time that he used the brakes!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies folks; I shall monitor the situation and try better to adjust my braking technique in wifey's car -- she doesn't seem to think there's a problem with them.

Perhaps I'm just used to the consistent and progressive control I have in my RX-8. I'll consider a pad type change when they next require it, but I don't think Wifey would appreciate a 'racing' performance pad setup herself ;)

Oddly, I find the brakes on my Elegance initially unresponsive although they work fine. I just like a firmer pedal set-up (like a 3 series BMW if I'm honest...).

I also set up the brakes with a firm pedal on my race car so I can heel and toe. My advice for anyone considering a race pad on a road car is DON'T.

Race pads work best when they (and the tyres) are really warm. If they're all cold they'll probably terrify you!.

You can always get a "fast road pad".

dill

Spooky,I have just logged in to write a new thread on this very subject,I have had my Octy A5 for about a month now 1.9 TDI 06 plate with 49,000 miles,I thought I would have got used to the brakes by now as I am in the car all day for work.But as some of the threads above say I am not.I have had the car into Skoda who say they are fine,I also had a friend who is an MOT inspector check them on the rolling road and it passed. However every time I come to the lights in pole position as it were I always always go over the white line every time (frustrating).I have also nearly rear ended countless cars in traffic not good. I too find them very non progressive and grabby.I also noticed when I had the window down a hissing - pssss noise when I apply the foot brake I told the guy in Skoda about this ,but he did not mention it when he told me he could not find anything wrong.This is my first Skoda after being a Vauxhall driver for the last 15 years, but I am not getting used to these brakes.

Very odd this. When I ordered my 4x4, last June, the nearest they had as a demonstrator was a 1.9Tdi elegance. had this for about two hours and both wife and I found the brakes dangerously sharp, to the extent that we took a deep breath before ordering.

The 4x4 brakes are as smooth and progressive as any I have driven, although VERY powerful. I regularly change between the Octy and SWMBOs Fiat Doblo, and have no problems adjusting.

Strange, I find the brakes on mine very progressive. They can be very subtle if you are gentle, but if you slam them on expect all the seatbelts to make that locking noise!

get a hose and spray around the brake area washing out all the dust, go up the road and drive with the brakes on for 5-10 seconds then hit the brakes hard. next time you apply the brakes they should be much better, this is what ive found works on cars with crap brakes.

Strange, I find the brakes on mine very progressive. They can be very subtle if you are gentle, but if you slam them on expect all the seatbelts to make that locking noise!

And everything else!! Only stamped on mine once, dark road, something there, STAMP!! Find I was almost nose to nose with a very confused looking deer. But boy! had that car stopped!!