Superb 1.8T fuel consumption

Hi All

Wanted to get an idea of what type of fuel consumption is expected from a 1.8T? My Cupra on a full tank averaged 230-250 on a 62ltr tank on combined driving.

I know the 1.9 version is very economically, not too sure how the petrol version compares. Official states dont really mean anything to me.

I drive under 3k revs so turbo is out of the question. Also I am basing the measuring from full tank to the empty tank alert (i rarely allow for this as i fill up with quarter of a tank left)

Hi All

Wanted to get an idea of what type of fuel consumption is expected from a 1.8T? My Cupra on a full tank averaged 230-250 on a 62ltr tank on combined driving.

I know the 1.9 version is very economically, not too sure how the petrol version compares. Official states dont really mean anything to me.

I drive under 3k revs so turbo is out of the question. Also I am basing the measuring from full tank to the empty tank alert (i rarely allow for this as i fill up with quarter of a tank left)

When I had my 1.8T if I drove carefully I could get 320 - 340 miles from a 60ltr tank, If I put my foot down it would be about 280 - 300 miles, 1 good thing about the 1.8T is that for a big car it is surprisingly quick and fun to drive, I only swapped mine because we wanted a bigger caravan and the 1.9Tdi was a no brainer, Although I must admit the fuel consumption is a massive bonus and it's not much slower to drive!

1 thing that always confussed me was why Skoda never put TC on the 1.8T even though it has second most power of the Superb range and all the rest of the range get it and beleive me sometimes you need it on the 1.8T

When I had my 1.8T if I drove carefully I could get 320 - 340 miles from a 60ltr tank,

Ouch 25mpg! now that would hurt, and i was concerned because i don't normally get 50mpg (48 -49 is my average)

Ouch 25mpg! now that would hurt, and i was concerned because i don't normally get 50mpg (48 -49 is my average)

Ouch indeed, Imagine what it was like towing a caravan! i'd be very lucky to get over 200miles per tank,now towing a larger caravan with my 1.9TDi I did 140 miles on Motorway and A roads and only used just over a quarter of a tank, I have friends with various other cars, 4x4's, Volvo's aand even one with a Mondeo diesel (tow car of the year) and none of them get the performance or MPG I get from my Superb! can't say better than that

When I had my 1.8T if I drove carefully I could get 320 - 340 miles from a 60ltr tank, If I put my foot down it would be about 280 - 300 miles, 1 good thing about the 1.8T is that for a big car it is surprisingly quick and fun to drive, I only swapped mine because we wanted a bigger caravan and the 1.9Tdi was a no brainer, Although I must admit the fuel consumption is a massive bonus and it's not much slower to drive!

1 thing that always confussed me was why Skoda never put TC on the 1.8T even though it has second most power of the Superb range and all the rest of the range get it and beleive me sometimes you need it on the 1.8T

Bryanp: TC is a concern for me as i was considering a remap at some point. I have even posted a thread regarding this. With the potential 50bhp, not too sure if i would be happy with no TC. I must admit, the car is quite big so there might not be a need for it, i could be wrong.

Alot of people have the 1.9TDI as its the best engine to go for. They were a grand or so over my budget for the same age and more milage (over 80k). Based on a years light use (i average 5 to 6k a year) this will be equal to approx. 1000 ltrs (£930) of petrol a year. Compared to a diesal which i presume will require approx. 600 ltrs (£600) over the year. Depreciation will be interesting over the period of a year. I intend to upgrade to the Elegance in a years time.

I reckon I will get just over 300 to a full tank. At least its better than the leon Cupra which was a 1.8T and averaged 230-240 on a full 60ltr tank! I cant complain as this is a bigger car and MGP is better.

I did a lot of motorway miles in my 1.8T, but having said that I also spent a lot of time stuck in traffic on the M1, M25 etc. I regularly got 500 from a tank. My average over two years, in which time I did 65k, was about 38mpg.

I didn't hammer it, but I didn't do 65 everywhere either. For the record, I always used Tesco fuel. On one run down to South Wales, I got 45 mpg for the journey, averaging about 60 due to traffic.

I'd recommend this engine to anybody. :)

I did a lot of motorway miles in my 1.8T, but having said that I also spent a lot of time stuck in traffic on the M1, M25 etc. I regularly got 500 from a tank. My average over two years, in which time I did 65k, was about 38mpg.

I didn't hammer it, but I didn't do 65 everywhere either. For the record, I always used Tesco fuel. On one run down to South Wales, I got 45 mpg for the journey, averaging about 60 due to traffic.

I'd recommend this engine to anybody. :)

500:eek: thats desel territory

• 2 months later...

I always get 500 to a tank and average 42mpg. I drive at 70 to 75 on the motorway and very smoothly on A and B roads. The Superb is a comfort car, not a sports car. :)

Once got 50mpg on a run from Birmingham to Yorkshire!

Hi All

230-250 from a tank average, you must either drive like tool or don't know how to drive the car properly really. my octavia 4x4 would easily average 300+ from a tank and thats a 4WD 1450Kg with a 55litre tank car not an ibiza!

and have you ever driven a 1.8T? they make peak torque from about 1700rpm - 5000rpm or something silly so driving under 3000rpm won't stop the turbo from working and also why a turbo car and try to drive so the turbo doesn't boost?

forgot to say that was with a remap/fmic etc etc and even with a bigger turbo running around 280bhp i averaged about 32mpg from scotland to oxford without even trying to drive sensibly.

230-250 from a tank average, you must either drive like tool or don't know how to drive the car properly really. my octavia 4x4 would easily average 300+ from a tank and thats a 4WD 1450Kg with a 55litre tank car not an ibiza!

and have you ever driven a 1.8T? they make peak torque from about 1700rpm - 5000rpm or something silly so driving under 3000rpm won't stop the turbo from working and also why a turbo car and try to drive so the turbo doesn't boost?

Dude i know how to drive! :mad:

Yes i have driven a 1.8T before. A Seat Leon Cupra to be precise for over 2.5 years. I rarely did any motor driving though. All local B roads and occassionaly A roads.

Why have a turbo car and not use the turbo you ask? Well I used to persume that the turbo will consume additional fuel. Well i was wrong there,:rotz: thats only the case with superchargers.

The optimum fuel economy i get is just under 3k revs at 72mph. On longer trips the trip computer states around 500miles to the full tank. Mix driving im getting 350 to the full tanks (majority local driving).

So i guess getting a true reflection is difficult. I guess i need to drive up to scotland or something to get a true measurement. :rofl:

forgot to say that was with a remap/fmic etc etc and even with a bigger turbo running around 280bhp i averaged about 32mpg from scotland to oxford without even trying to drive sensibly.

you missed the point mate. Motorway driving will be the opitmum however i rarely do this.

I dont have a heavy foot as the superb isnt a sports car. Sports people go for the octovia vrs.Its not rocket science:D

Guest westallc

i average around the 280 to 300 to a full tank down to 250 if i drive hard but my car has everything done to it and running 230+ bhp so i guess thats why lol

as for someone saying they can get 500+ miles from a tank you are having a laugh mate not a hope in hell even on a standard 1.8t :o;)

Guest westallc

you what thats loads all i seem to do is drive on the motorway....but i lack the take foot of accelatrator pedal and drive sensible mode lol

i have months where i try and drive well and get the most out of a tank but there is always one day i play with another car and bang goes the fuel lol

maybe one day i will grow up and drive normal but until then i will keep using lots of fuel lol

and im sure the map has something to do with it thats why i have a plan ( unit 18 );):D:thumbup:

you what thats loads all i seem to do is drive on the motorway....but i lack the take foot of accelatrator pedal and drive sensible mode lol

i have months where i try and drive well and get the most out of a tank but there is always one day i play with another car and bang goes the fuel lol

maybe one day i will grow up and drive normal but until then i will keep using lots of fuel lol

and im sure the map has something to do with it thats why i have a plan ( unit 18 );):D:thumbup:

that 400+ miles was coming back from the tosspots in Scotland after they fitted the POS GT2x turbo. we were in two cars and we were not hanging around :D

Guest westallc

i would say im going to try and get 400miles to a tank but feck it i dont drive a modded turbo'd car for mpg lol :thumbup:

so i shall carry on driving like a tool :D;)

what the fuel consuption going to be like with the gt30 for the first few runs lol :eek: :eek: :eek:

Guest westallc

because octy's are better simple so we like to rule the forum as we are the kings of the skoda group:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :P

because octy's are better simple so we like to rule the forum as we are the kings of the skoda group:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :P

Octy's are better on some levels :rotz:however loose out when it comes down to interior space:rofl::rofl::rofl::P:P

Superbs are execellent value for money. I had the leon cupra and loved it and was going to considering the octy vrs however the space was limited.