Damage to new car:-(

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the hell did you manage that in a car park? You were either unlucky or impatient but couldn't comment because I wasn't there. Did the other party accept liability and were they insured?

Don't mean to be funny or anything mate, but if the driver of the other car was already reversing, or about to (with his reverse lights on), and the OP was impatient (or didn't notice) and tried to nip past them then they are hardly going to admit it on here are they.

If he is worried about costs then the other party hasn't admitted liability, there's only 2 reasons why that might be.

Thats a bit unfair IMO, how often do any of us drive through a packed car park watching every car in case any one of them moves out?

If the other party reversed out of a space into a car already moving there is little doubt as to who is to blame.

I've had to slam on the anchors in a car park more than once due to some muppet reversing out and not seeing my car :thumbdwn:

He's not worried about costs, he was wondering if there was any possibility his new car would be a write-off. Really don't know what you're thinking with that last post.

If I'm reversing out of my drive whilst you're driving past & we collide, who's fault's that? I would be at fault as you have right of way.

That scenario ain't too different in a car park, is it? That's how I understood the OPs original post as to how the collision happened - OP had right of way over the car that was reversing out of a parking bay.

There is no right of way in a car park, and yes it is different to the scenario you suggest as generally in a car park people are polite enough to allow someone to reverse out of a space if their reversing lights are on. Whereas on a road you have to wait until it is clear or someone is kind enough to wait for you.

Anyway it doesn't matter as the OP has cleared it up. Glad to hear it wasn't written off and the other party admitted liabiity.

I can't remember the last time anyone stopped to let me reverse out of a space in a car park. That probably expalins the 'shut your eyes and reverse out' mentality that is becoming more commonplace in the vast Tesco car parks across the land :rolleyes:

And of course, most trolley pilots fail to understand reversing lights and continue to walk past the back of the car :doh:

Will be going over the car tomorrow with a fine tooth comb

I hope you get as good a job on yours as I got on mine a couple of months ago. Not quite as big a job as yours, just a scrape down the rear quarter caused by a stone gatepost failing to give way as I reversed into my drive :mad:

At the same time they sorted a small area of bubbling paint under warranty.

DM Keith's in Leeds did a fantastic job - I've examined it from every angle in sunlight, streetlights, wet, dry, clean, dirty and cannot tell where they sprayed it. Really is a perfect job - as good as new.:thumbup:

Don't mean to be funny or anything mate, but if the driver of the other car was already reversing, or about to (with his reverse lights on), and the OP was impatient (or didn't notice) and tried to nip past them then they are hardly going to admit it on here are they.

If he is worried about costs then the other party hasn't admitted liability, there's only 2 reasons why that might be.

I'll be blunt here.

Stop being a *****. This isn't the first thread where you have completely failed to read the post and rest of the thread before wading in with your "knowledge".

Regardless of your age, you're acting like a teenager, so either start acting like an adult or go find somewhere else to act like a pratt.

It's very easy for a LWB van, a 4x4 or just another car to do that sort of damage to a car, especially if they swing around or misjudge a space. :rolleyes:

Edited by Bigw2069
swear filter is there for a reason

I have the car back now, wooohoo. It looks good but cant tell as it is persistantly raining in Barnsley at the mo. The total cost of the repair is less than they thought they originally quoted around £3500 and the bill came in at £2500.

BOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO, car as gone back the nearside headlight is way out of line compared to offside and I cant open the bonnet. The guy at the large accident repair centre first tried telling me they hadn`t opened the bonnet. But he came round to my thinking when I asked him how did he get the paint code and I hoped they disconnected the battery for the spot welding of the nearside rear quater panel. So god knows when I will get it back now!!!!!

I can't remember the last time anyone stopped to let me reverse out of a space in a car park. That probably expalins the 'shut your eyes and reverse out' mentality that is becoming more commonplace in the vast Tesco car parks across the land :rolleyes:

And of course, most trolley pilots fail to understand reversing lights and continue to walk past the back of the car :doh:

After I had a prang in a supermarket i'm extra careful, but I always back into a space so I can drive out where possible.

And when driving round car parks I tend to keep a slow pace.

But oooh thats a nasty prang. Hope you gets your car back nice and new again.

Glad there was no injuries though.

Oh dear oh dear. I'm far too late with this post I'm afraid. If I'd seen it earlier I could have said DON'T USE AN ACCIDENT REPAIR CENTRE especially if the Insurance company have any say in which one it is.

Just my two pennorth based on very bitter experience when among other things finger tight wheel bolts could have cost us our lives.

Headlight out and stuck bonnet. You are lucky. I really do hope things work out OK Your car is a stunner.:thumbup:

Our vRS took a heavy punt into the rear end and the accident repair centre did an immaculate job on the repair, my local dealer and I couldn't fault it one bit. It was a Porsche, Merc and Skoda approved centre :rolleyes:

My point is there are good repair centres out there but its usually a lottery until you get the car back.

DO NOT accept the car until you are 100% happy with it. If possible check it over in broad daylight and in the dry, do not sign anything until you have established everything works, test the headlight washers seeing as one light is out of kilter, the xenon self levelling may need adaptation but it will throw a fault and won't self test on startup if this is the case.

Check the door gaps as well, compare the original side to the repairs. Open and close the repaired doors several times to make sure they aren't touching or rubbing anything, make sure the door seals are doing their job as well.

If you have access to VCDS It might be wise to plug in to check for fault codes too.

The car was near perfect before the shunt, accept nothing less!

the problem is now it will affect your insurance next year even through its not your fault, as you have been in an accident your more probable of being in another, so i found out at renewal time.

I don't get how the bonnet / headlight can be out of line? After the crash there was no damage front of the rear of the front door right? Most likely cause of the headlight not being flush would be removing it and then not reseating it correctly on that plastic bracket bit when putting it back in. But I don't get why they'd have removed it?

the problem is now it will affect your insurance next year even through its not your fault, as you have been in an accident your more probable of being in another, so i found out at renewal time.

Exactly the reason why my insurance company is not informed of my previous 2 accidents (Both involve my being stationary and rammed from behind.... By a car)

Exactly the reason why my insurance company is not informed of my previous 2 accidents (Both involve my being stationary and rammed from behind.... By a car)

So you're commiting fraud then ?