Autocar Review " Is this Skoda's best car yet?"

Teesdale

That's some pretty serious off roading there!

I will seriously consider buying a Yeti towards the end of next year, not because I need the off road capability particularly but because I love the interior and the car as a whole seems impressive.

Engine line up makes it look good, ' BUT ' look at the design, aerodynamics is obviously not a consideration, its a box shape in the current fashon of new cars, i.e Kia Soul, Diahatsu Materia, plus permanent roof rails.( I would be very cautious about any quoted mpg specially as we are always advised that to improve mpg, to remove roofbars, roof boxes when not in use.)

I would sooner see it in the flesh to decide whether its a good looking car, Photos IMHO never give a proper representation of what the car looks like in the tin.

plus permanent roof rails.( I would be very cautious about any quoted mpg specially as we are always advised that to improve mpg, to remove roofbars, roof boxes when not in use.)

Its the cross bars that are what cause most of the drag though.

Got to say that whilst its just my opinion... damn that looks bad :(

Everyone said the same this about the Roomster. Thing is, it's a damn good car and this will probably be the same.

If you don't like the way it looks, then don't get one. In two years time I bet plenty of people who though it looked bad will be driving one (As happened with the Roomster) because it just makes so much more sense than anything at the price

Whilst autocar seem to say that this is the car that the cashcow etc should have been, I do wonder about the timing of the introduction, given it not one of the 1st of type around & the currently depressed car market.

I hope it sells well for Skoda.

is this based on the same platform as the tiguan?

a mate of mine has a 170 2.0tdi tiguan and must say it drives like a golf only your sitting hgher

• Administrators

Looks like the roomster rear seating arrangement too. I dearly hope they do not drop a clanger like they have on the roomster and leave a gap into the rear space.

The solution is not much use either on the roomy.

The more powerful stock engine is an attraction for what looks like a good package.

The roomster is picking up now, see quite a few around now, so this will appeal to those who want a tigwwwannnn but are strapped...

• Administrators

Certainly have, have added two fleece rugs that will at least keep my toes warm when my boot has been emptied.

It does look like it might be the same IMHO floored design. Will have to get down to a showroom and see it for myself I guess :)

In answer to TGi, I understand it's not based on a Tiguan platform, but a revised Golf platform with a similar ride hight to an Octavia Scout.

The Yeti is much more capable off road though due to short overhangs and (I believe optional) off road esp system incorporating both hill decent and hill hold, the Scout only having the latter. This being selected manually via a dash mounted switch when required, very much akin to that used on the Freelander.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the look of this and when I get to replace my Octavia next year I think this will be high on the list. I just wish the boot was lsightly bigger.

One thing does seem odd though. Won't the FWD only versions of this be competing directly with the Roomster?

I really like the look of this and when I get to replace my Octavia next year I think this will be high on the list. I just wish the boot was lsightly bigger.

One thing does seem odd though. Won't the FWD only versions of this be competing directly with the Roomster?

Good point but not everyone likes the Roomster

The Yeti seems to be a bit more of a premium quality car than the Roomster which is a supermini based MPV, and will have a better range of engines too. I would have thought base Yeti prices will start around the same as top Roomster prices.

As for the boot, don't forget it has the varioflex seating so whilst it might not be as big as an Octavias boot, it's very versatile!

Ahhh, you have disovered the £12 nylon curtain that does naff all!

Told my father about one of these for his Roomster, he was so excited about it, I even bought it for him (He is a pensioner) and he was so disappointed - mind you so was I.

Just seems a totally useless obsolete gap behind the seats.

• 2 years later...

Everyone said the same this about the Roomster. Thing is, it's a damn good car and this will probably be the same.

If you don't like the way it looks, then don't get one. In two years time I bet plenty of people who though it looked bad will be driving one (As happened with the Roomster) because it just makes so much more sense than anything at the price

3 years on and how right was this comment?