car choice, A4 or Vrs ??

Hi all.

Bit of an odd question for a Skoda forum but my Vrs TDI PD is up for replacement in Sept and I have to start looking now.

Having trawled the internet and dealers I keep getting drawn to VAG cars in the shape of the new A4 S Line TDI 4dr, or another Vrs (a hatch with all the toys, undecided on a DSG or not).

Was tempted with a 3 series 320D touring but you dont get much kit with it and the interior isnt very impressive. The Passat CC is great to look at but is SO DULL to drive. The Mazda 6 is another contender but the interior is very Japanese with acres of shiny plastic, not sure I could live with it. The mondeo is also on the list but I dont like the seats.

I love the "chunkiness" of VAG cars dashboards, the cars feel solid, the gear change feels sporty and positive.

The only sticking point with ordering the Vrs is that there is a new one due along anyday now and I would much prefer to order that one. I have emailed Skoda who said it was available from June/July. I know some of you guys work at dealers, have you got a more defininate date any any idea of spec ?

Thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely it comes down to what you can afford? Most people would agree that an A4 is a more desirable car than a Skoda, but the desire is created by the brand more than anything else. Skoda cars are deliberately aesthetically downgraded from VWs and Audis to suit different markets - it's basic market segmentation. Having spent time this weekend in Audi and Skoda dealerships, this runs through the whole brand experience. Amusingly (as I was in Cornwall), the punters in the Audi garage were all swanning around drinking their free cappucinos (one group actually 'down from London' to pick up a TT convertible), whereas in the Skoda garage, all I got was a cuppa in a disposable beaker - even after I'd bought the car! Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thats the problem. All the cars mentioned are within my budget (its a lease car through HSBC). I agree, the Audi has the better badge, but inside its just a bit dull, unless you spec the S Line with half leather seats and sporty steering wheel.

If the Octy facelift manages to squeeze itself onto the list before the cut off for ordering then I will be going with another Vrs. Maybe .....???

Thats the problem. All the cars mentioned are within my budget (its a lease car through HSBC). I agree, the Audi has the better badge, but inside its just a bit dull, unless you spec the S Line with half leather seats and sporty steering wheel.

If the Octy facelift manages to squeeze itself onto the list before the cut off for ordering then I will be going with another Vrs. Maybe .....???

Vrs no question about it spend the extra on a few home comforts when you order the Skoda

What about the VRS LE?, as personally I think the new facelift octys dont look as nice :S Those headlights dont suit it.

It depends if you want a badge or value for money...

And what you like the best and what suits you the best is the most important point, not what anyone else likes.

IMO The A4 is a nice car, but I think the value goes to the octy. Ive never been a badge person, Ive always been more about understated cars, cars that surprise people, hence my old Volvo 850 and now the OctyVRS. People are surprised by them, and that gives me a bigger smile than I would get from a 'oh, its another audi/bmw/merc' reaction.

There are so many Audi badges around now they dont have that surprising quality anymore, a bit like BMWs were a few years ago. And people are starting to hate Audis like they hate Beemers (not letting them out, cutting them up, etc)

Just my opinion tho.

Also, as the previous poster indicates, in the last couple of years, nearly always the car driving right up your exhaust in the overtaking lane on the motorway is an Audi (and nearly always an A3!). Well, that's what I find anyway. I looked at an 08 plate Audi A3 Sportback on Saturday; low mileage but the asking price was £18K! It felt no bigger than my Polo inside. Picked up a Jan 07 Octavia 1.9 TDi Ambiente with 19K miles for £8K - absolutely no contest. Trouble with cars is there's always loads of whichever one you choose on the road and there's always someone with something better, more desirable, whatever. I like the classless feel of the Skoda, even though I know this just puts me in a different marketing segment at least it is not one where I am significantly out of pocket! (That said, my neighbour swears by his A4 Avant!).

Thats the problem with the Audi, they are driven by ***** and unless I get the S Line version, the interior is very dull. One of the reasons I picked the Vrs as my last car was the fact that its different and I got lots of kit with it. The LE is on my car list (so there must be some still available) but the wheels are repulsive and I cannot spec it with anymore toys, reversing sensors, xenons etc.

I too also had a fast Volvo, had a couple of ex police T5s. They surprised plenty of people when I took them out in it. The Vrs had the same effect.

Now, do I get a CR TDI or petrol ?? Hmmmmm.......

The vRS is more practical. Bigger and more accessible boot space and more room for rear occupants.

The A4 is a nice car but overpriced for what it is.

Also consider a Golf GTi if you're considering an A4 as it isn't a lot smaller.

As for petrol or diesel, the petrol is quicker through the gears so ultimately the faster car but in gear at motorway speeds the Tdi is just as quick.

Hi,

I had an A4 (and A2 and A3n 3.2 dsg) and liked the cars but there were just so many about I thought they were a bit too common. I went on to a Vrs petrol and was impressed with the engine. I then got a L & K 2.0 diesel dsg but am niow missing the Vrs and am looking to go back when the new one comes out with dsg and paddle shift. Petrol engine is nicer sounding/driving but the diesel makes more sense for the mpg and the range.

Hi,

I had an A4 (and A2 and A3n 3.2 dsg) and liked the cars but there were just so many about I thought they were a bit too common. I went on to a Vrs petrol and was impressed with the engine. I then got a L & K 2.0 diesel dsg but am niow missing the Vrs and am looking to go back when the new one comes out with dsg and paddle shift. Petrol engine is nicer sounding/driving but the diesel makes more sense for the mpg and the range.

It's a good point, you will see loads of other A4s about but then again you'll also see loads of Octys. I still get people giving mine a second glance though....

No contest. vRS with DSG and CR engine would win every time for me. That's what I went for given a similar choice and haven't looked back. Look in your local supermarket car park and count the number of "premium" brand cars and then the alternatives. You'll be suprised about how many Audis and BMW's etc there are compared to what I'd drive. It's exclusivity by the back door. As for your points about the LE, I completely agree. The wheels are horrid and I'm no fan of the interior either.

Err I think some of you may be a little be mistaken on the new B8 A4. It's a brand new platform based on an the Audi A5. The car is wider and longer than the previous B7 A4 and is miles better than the current octavia or even the facelift.

Go for the A4 in Sline guise... you won't regret it.

Oh and on a side note, I drive both a Skoda and an Audi.... so does that me a half **** ?

Err I think some of you may be a little be mistaken on the new B8 A4. It's a brand new platform based on an the Audi A5. The car is wider and longer than the previous B7 A4 and is miles better than the current octavia or even the facelift.

Go for the A4 in Sline guise... you won't regret it.

Oh and on a side note, I drive both a Skoda and an Audi.... so does that me a half **** ?

You say based on the Audi A5 but that's a 3 door coupe. The new A4 might be fractionally bigger than it's predecessor but IMO it's still not a match for the Octy in the practicality stakes. Of course if it's the badge that attracts you to it that's fine. I would say though that before my first vRS I had a 3.2 TT and it was very well put together and had a great quality feel to it.

The A5 and A4 share a new modular platform like the passat,golf,octavia,leon do. This platform is where Audi are going with all their motors from the A4 upwards (apart from A8 and Q7)

Personally I'm attracted to the design, build materials, engineering and experience. Not the badge. I've had a vRS Combi, currently have a felica combi, I don't care about the badge, I just find the Audi range is the most attractive complete package.

The new A4 is not "marginally" bigger than the out going B7. It's almost the same size as the current A6. If you feel the octy is practical then thats cool. Each to their own. But why do people comment about exclusivity. If the A4 and BMW are popular it's because they are good and people want them. Whats wrong with that ? Just smacks as the same attitudfe as badge snobs but in reverse.

I don't mind defending the Audi brand in the same way I've defended the Skoda brand...when people have what appears to be a "sheep" attitude and follow the general (sometimes totally wrong) consensus.

I'm a big fan of Audis and the A4 Avant 2.5 TDI (last car but one) was probably the best car I ever had. But its replacement was even more expensive and if you're going for the 2.0 TDI, an A4 is £6,000 more at list price than an Octavia. I''d say whatever extra quality you get with an Audi is worth abut £1,000 more.

I'm not sure that the facelift is worth waiting for on the vRS: the important thing is to get the CR engine, which is a lot more refined than the PD. There may be some LEs still in dealers: there is a good deal available (which could affect leasing charges) but you have to want full leather and be able to put up with the dark grey paintwork (I didn't and couldn't).

I suppose that if it's a company car and either is available within budget, then it's tempting to go for the A4. But are you sure it's got the CR 170 bhp engine as in the vRS?

Edit - sorry, I see your change isn't due till September: you'll get the facelifted version anyway and the LEs will presumably have been sold by then.

Its a difficult one on a Skoda forum!

Both the Octavia and A4 are incredibly similar, I dont know whether I would bother spending the extra on the A4 to be honest.

However, I am a big fan of Audis - and if I had had the money when I bought my Vrs (much as I love it) I would have had an Audi.

Without a doubt, due to a fortunate change in job circumstances, my next car will be an A5 - there's just something about them!

I know what you mean about the A5, its a great looking car. Not had any dealings with Audi dealers as yet so cannot comment on their attitude, however I have an hours loan of an A4 this morning from my local dealer in Stockport so I will report back this afternoon.

You also have to remember that Audi dealers are staffed by stuck-up ***** :)

Not all mate. I can't say a bad word about York Audi, and you've met me Andy so you know I'm not some howty towty snob :rofl::rofl:

Its a difficult one on a Skoda forum!

Both the Octavia and A4 are incredibly similar,

Eh !!! how is the B8 A4 similar to the Octy ? One is a saloon and the other is a hatch.

The A4's engine is mounted longitudinal, the Octy transverse. The A4's 4WD is perm, the Octy's is part time. etc etc etc The only thing similar is that they are part of VAG and both can come in estate varients.

Not all mate. I can't say a bad word about York Audi, and you've met me Andy so you know I'm not some howty towty snob :rofl::rofl:

Lol :)

I guess it's just Cardiff, Bristol and Preston Audi then!

I was asking the same question a little while ago. I like Audi's (A4 Avant), but also like the Octavia, it's a tough call! I have just lent Mr P the money to buy a bike, so my decision is on hold for now.

As for the dealers being stuck up? Who cares? I'm not going to take them down the pub. As long as they do their job properly, I don't care how deluded they are. It actually entertained me when I went to mine and asked for my Skoda oil. This badge snobbery (including reverse snobbery) is very odd. Who do people choose their cars for? Themselves or others? Just because someone drives a nice car, or what is perceived to be a nice car it doesn't automatically mean they are a ****, as much as it doesn't mean they are not a ****!