Cleaning throttle body - 1.8T engine

• 2 weeks later...

You should only need VAG-Com to reset the throttle position if you unplug the plug from the throttle body at any point.

What about if I disconect the car battery before I unplug the plug from the throttle body? And conect the battery after I finish all the cleaning and conecting the plug.

Isaac

• 3 weeks later...

Someone posted in the Octy I forum the other day that their throttle body wasn't right since they did a TB clean, and mentioned they had forced the throttle plate open - to clarify, don't try and force it!!!

Turn the ignition to position 1 and If you have a heavy item to place on the pedal then do that or better still get someone to hold the pedal down so you can clean around the edges of the throttle plate.

Forcing it open when it is closed can damage the motor in the throttle body that controls it, and a new throttle body is expensive!

Another tip,remove the air temp probe which is mounted just beside throttle body,and clean with electrical parts cleaner,as it will be covered in oil also.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give this one the :thumbup:

Just finished cleaning mine now which was proper dirty, i've got some pictures of how mine looked after 77k, I'll post them up later. Long story short, its made a world of difference although I've only been out in it the once! :)

Normally i'd let the air pump stop running before I pulled off, if I didn't before the clean I'd get a hell of a lot of hesitation even without a heavy foot.... this has now gone :)

• 5 months later...

sorry to drag up an old post but i quizzed my local skoda mechanic on this the other day, he said it is a must do and not nearly done as often as it should be. BUT he said to try and stay away from using carb cleaner as he has had a few cases where the cleaner has destroyed a mechanism within the throttle body? anyone whose done this procedure experienced the same? he actually suggested using brake fluid as an alternative cleaning product to carb cleaner. and finally he stated to truly get the most out of a throttle body clean a reset should be done as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Wurth brake cleaner is ok to use too, I spoke to my mate, he's a Professor in chemistry, works at Brighton University

It won't damage the throttle body & it does not contain tetrachloroethylene, which can be very health hazardous

be careful on rubbers/plastics though

part number 08901087

Google that & get it for about £4 delivered

safety sheet here;

http://www.oilsandsprays.co.uk/08901087_0003_15-02-2007_EN_brake%20cleaner.pdf

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Many thanks for this chicken_eyebrow.

To be honest I didn't feel my car really needed this. My previous car was a v6 Mondeo, which had the silkiest smooth engine from low revs. When I got my vRS, I just assumed the slight vibrations at low revs, and I do mean slight, was due to the change from a v6 to a straight 4. But having done this, and mine was a bit dirty, not that bad, I've noticed a real difference.

You know when you're in a gear, and you really should change down as the rev counter is showing 1000rpm or so, there were a few vibrations/hesitancy. I've noticed the engine is a lot more comfortable, since I've cleaned the throttle body. Highly reccommended, such a simple cheap job!

Thought I'd give this a try this morning (before the trip to work) as my car's been misfiring \ sluggish for a while now.

Have recently had throttle body cleaned up at the garage, when I took the air hose off, it was all nice and shiny on the hose side. Problem then arose trying to take the hex bolts out - they were stuck fast, so it doesn't seem that they have been moved in a while (if ever). Question is, how soon after those bolts being removed \ replaced would you expect them to get stuck in place ... or to go about things another way, could the garage have cleaned the entire throttle body without removing the hex bolts ?

i rung my local skoda garage today and asked about getting hold of a throttle body gasket,

explained what im going to do,

the bloke didnt have a clue and said its to small a item to order 1 in.

rung my local vw dealers and they have ordered one in for me to collect tuesday

just cleaned mine today and have to say it wasn't really dirty at all.

made very little difference to idle as well

mine is an 05 on about 60k miles

nevermind - at least i know it is in good nick B)

i cleaned mine the other day,

wasnt very dirty as i was expecting lots of build up,but wasnt clean at the same time.

made running alot smoother and has helped with my boost issues ive had.

well worth doing for the £2.20 for the gasket

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest pete77

Fantastic results for less than £5. No cold juddering and great smooth throttle responce. Would recommend doing this.