F1 teams leaving

gadgetman

Renault & Toyota are also making similar noises about next years budget cap. For these manufactures it could be just the excuse they need to save money and leave F1, for Ferrari their sales could be affected if they left F1.

Renualt said they could not race under a two rule system, well that's what they did in the 80's when the teams could run a 1.5 litre turbo or a 3 litre normally aspirated engine and the other team at the forefront of the 1.5 litre turbo was...Ferrari.

How about the teams can spend as much money as they like building the cars and on the Friday morning of a race weekend all the drivers names go into a hat and the teams do a lucky dip to see who drives for them at that race.:rolleyes:

But how can you have lower budgeted cars that dont have to adhere to the tech rules so much, and get 3x the kers boost?

I get the budget cap thing, but surely financially penalise those that go over budget? Say a fine for every £100k over?

I think it's Max Mosley's ploy to throw in a controversial rule change, then let the teams moan & argue before they all sit down and settle their differences. After all it was only a few months ago that this season was going to be settled by who won the most races and that lasted all of five minutes.

If Bernie can see a team like Ferrari leaving F1 and his income drop I'm sure an agreement will be reached.

I think Max Mosley should invite all the drivers and team managers to an all-night drunken orgy, get them all to dress up in strange uniforms and then...........

..........maybe not.

The powers that be shouldn't have to succumb to pressure from the participants - that would be tantamount to anarchy. I tend to agree with the maximum budget theory - whether the figure quoted is the right figure is debatable.

The same should be done in football - if you set maximun wages and maximum transfer fees it would reduce the differentials between the top clubs and the lesser clubs - what's the harm in that ?

After all it was only a few months ago that this season was going to be settled by who won the most races and that lasted all of five minutes.

That was more down to timescale. Because the rule change was brought in without much notice, it needed the vote by the majority of the teams for it to apply, and too many of them said no. As there is more than enough time till next season for the rule to be brought in without the need for a vote, Bernie and chums simply said they'll delay that rule by a year and bring it in 2010 instead.

Either there is a cap or there isn't, to have a variation on the same grid after the same price is stupid. It is like the RFL saying teams can go over the salary cap but only if the players play with one arm tied behind their backs :rofl:

It's about time F1 got its collective head from up its collective ar£e and started racing again.

The problem with F1 (and most other sports) is that politics and money are the motivators. Bernie & max want to get one up on each other, the top teams want the biggest slice of the pie and the spectators & viewers want to see exciting racing.

Teams have to comply to the rules, size of engine, single tyre supply, size & wieght of car etc, so the budget limit could be a rule, but don't have options!

I can only imagine the likes of Ferrari & Renualt would be embarrassed if smaller teams beat them on the same budget, after all they're getting beaten this season with more spending power than Brawn & Red Bull.

The last thing the sport needs is a breakaway series, where the teams that form the series make the rules.:thumbdwn:

The big players aren't doing well so far this season despite all their big budgets, its the smaller teams who have reacted quickly to change.

All this spitting out dummys / toys out of pram & threatening to leave, is making these limitless budget teams look like lardy lumbering babies.

I remember schumacher talking about possible rule changes a few years ago, and the talk at the time was all sorts of weird and wonderful changes, he simply smirked and said "you never eat a meal as hot as you cook it" i think the same will apply in this case.:)

I don't like Ferrari one bit.

Don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out :wave:

Hopefully we will see a number of fresh teams enter the sport. Look what Brawn have managed in a few weeks. Yes, I know they aren't really 'new' as such but even so.........

I'm looking forward to the arrival of USF1 (sorry, USGPE :rolleyes:) Especially if Danica Patrick is one of the drivers ;) although I suspect this will be unlikely - shame.

And I found an exclusive pic of the USGPE prototype F1 challenger:

usf1car.jpg

And I found an exclusive pic of the USGPE prototype F1 challenger:

usf1car.jpg

So obviously a hoax photo - it's got the Mack logo and the huge smoking stack missing ;)

The MACK logo :doh: I knew there was something missing :D

Still, a yank team should be interesting, will all those bends and hairpins confuse them I wonder? There aren't any oval tracks in F1......

And which side of the fence will McLaren sit regarding the possible budget cap? From a financial perspective they are right up there with Ferrari along with the adoption of KERS.

I've been a lifelong Formula 1 fan and I think it's gone steadily downhill since the 90s. Buy off eBay the seasons in review VHS of 1994 and 1995, and you remember how good this sport can be!

The spending caps ARE a good idea. I think even the big manufacturers will welcome spending less on their motorsport and staying in. I honestly can't see anyone leaving because of it being imposed.

Only downside is perhaps the quality and performance of the vehicles will reduce. But does that really matter? really? It doesn't seem to in the lower formulas, and touring cars etc. and I don't think it would in Formula 1.

• 1 month later...

Just out of interest, is 'A1 Grand Prix' still going? Can't imagine any other breakaway championship having more success...

[edit] Just checked and seen that they're supplying all the engines for this year's A1. Relevant? :rubchin: [/edit]