Tyre Wear?

I have done just under 10,000 miles in my 170 CR DSG and the front tyres are nearing the warning markers, perhaps 2-3mm.

I know I am a fairly hard driver, has anyone else had to chenge tyres yet, and if so to what. I fancy Michelins for better wear and hopefully less road roar on rough surfaces.

Other 170 CR drivers comments welcome.

We drive our manual 170CR very gently - but we are also having to replace the tyres at 10,000 miles.

In our case we have uneven wear - with the tyres worn down the the wear indicators on a thin band on the inside edge only.

Skoda UK are paying to have a full steering Geometry done.

I have done just under 10,000 miles in my 170 CR DSG and the front tyres are nearing the warning markers, perhaps 2-3mm.

I know I am a fairly hard driver, has anyone else had to chenge tyres yet, and if so to what. I fancy Michelins for better wear and hopefully less road roar on rough surfaces.

Other 170 CR drivers comments welcome.

What tyre brand and size are you using now?

Regards,

Andrehj

(not a 170 CR driver now, but may be one in the future, and has excellent experience with Michelin Energy tyres, which last arount 60 - 70,000 miles on my Renault Laguna)

Original fitment on my Superb are Continental 225/40 R18, price quoted this afternoon by my local tyre dealer...Continental £135 inclusive fitted, Michelin £155 inclusive fitted.

Dealer said Pirelli, other original fitment as mentioned on this BB, and Continental were both "soft" tyres, good grip but not so good for wear. Michelin, from previous experiences are very good in the wet, better tyre wear, but maybe not quite so soft and grippy.

I too have the CR170 with DSG. Tyres are Continental Sport Contact2s Will require the tyres changing on the front in 2000 miles when the mileage will have reached 13000 miles. Current front tread depth is 3.5mm. I wont use them much below 3mm. Rears are on 4,5mm. My previous Superbs were averaging around 22000+ miles on the fronts and 35000+ on the back. These were a mixture of Bridgestone, Michelin and the best ones I ever had Vredensteins on 18" Audi Wheels My driving hasnt changed!

Edited by Drummond28
Additional Information

just put some michelin primacy tyres on my elegance. they are better than the contis I had before and better than teh pirelli P-zeros. Reason I hae had so many tyres is complicated but basically got an elegance with 17" wheels supplied then swapped to 16" wheels as i prefer the increase in comfort from taller sidewalls. Conti sport contacts were good - i have always had these tyres but I needed some new tyres on my Audi and they are the same tyres so as an experiment I bought the michelin (heard a lot about them) and put them on the skoda to see if they made a difference.

they are definiely quiter and and low speed rumbling noise i had before has been reduced. dont know about life of the tyres obviously.

Changed all 4 on my 170 auto at 16000 front ones worn down one rear one repaired and would not re balance properly, fourth one from rear in good condition awaiting a new alloy instead of the steel spare as I do a lot of miles cant bare the thought of driving 100 miles home at 50mph.

Cheers

Changed all 4 on my 170 auto at 16000 front ones worn down one rear one repaired and would not re balance properly, fourth one from rear in good condition awaiting a new alloy instead of the steel spare as I do a lot of miles cant bare the thought of driving 100 miles home at 50mph.

Cheers

i cant work out why there is a 50mph sticker on there ? its a full sized 16" wheel with a normal tyre with a V rating. In fact the same wheel and tyre ,except that its steel, to what I am running all the time now and the same as comes out of the factory on the S model and greenline.

i reckon its perfectl;y safe to run at normal speeds

i replaced my tyres at the same milage, and i changed my 18inch tyres to Toyo with nitrogen inflate, and i now get 20,000 from the front and 35 from the back. I travel allover europe and i have just clocked 68,000, Continental tyres are rubbish.

Michelin Primacy's grip and wear well; I had a couple of sets fitted to my Octy II 1.9Tdi.

My current Superb II 1.9Tdi was supplied with 205/55/16 XL Michelin Energy tyres. The stiffer extra load sidewalls reduces tyre flexing when cornering enthusiastically, while the harder compound offers improved fuel economy. My average fuel economy is 54mpg, based on actual fuel dispensed, rather than the MFD which overreads by at least 10%.

I've now travelled 11,000 miles and the rear tyres have 6mm of tread remaining, while the front tyres have 5mm tread remaining. At around 15,000 miles I shall probably rotate back to front, despite the rationale for this being contested by some of you.

• 1 month later...

anyone had any experience with kumho or hankook ? I was doing a bit budgeting and i realised that the kumho are around 100 quid cheaper if I do all four corners, only thing is I've seen some rubbish budget tyres before. black cricles haves them down as "mid-range".

I have the Pirelli P Zero Rosso at the moment, and like p6000 that were on my 1 series when I first got it I find the handling great but wear poor. I had tyres inclusive on a lease deal with the 1 series and they fitted GoodYear Eagle something or other as standard which were OK but didn't think I got that much more wear out of them.

Now I'm paying directly for the boots the £100 saving is looking tempting...

If any of you don't want to spend the earth on new rubber try some Wanli tyres, they are budget tyres but so far they are the only thing my Mk1 Superb hasn't eaten, look for the directional ones they're Chinese and won top tyre awards in China, roadholding is no worse than anything else I've had on there including a set of Turanzas, the only downside I can say is they are noisy, which is probably why they are lasting ok due to hard compound.