Options for tuning 1.4 tdi 80

Would like to free up a bit more power from my cracking little furby diesel. My criteria are:

• ~100bhp.
  • Clutch safe
  • Same or better mpg
  • (Ignore warranty issues for the moment)

Was thinking of a tuning box, but this seems to be frowned upon in general, but a remap seems like overkill for such a modest improvement!

Looking for recommendations really, is it worth the risk? (to engine internals?) :confused:

will be intrested to see how many replies you get from this.

mines had a green panel filter chucked in, mpg has got better averagely by 2mpg, its not smoking that much and the mid range thrust has increased, also get a lovely induction woosh. That cost me £45 so i highly rate that as a cost effictive mod :)

I also rate derv bp ultimate ive managed to run the original c7ap out of it, and its made a small but credible diffrence, also been proven on 5th gear that the more its used the better improves mpg, power and engine cleaning. Again something granted small that I highly recommend that as well.

Im also looking into a jabbasport remap apparently thats good for 105bhp to 110bhp! Ive been told it should run ok with the standard clutch, so for £295 its a good bhp and torque increase.

Theres also the cat back exhuast route, shouldnt be an issue with powerflow as many people know custom made so no issue in regards to fittings, just need to find some people in your area that have had this work carried out and recommend a garage. Powerflow also have proven torque and bhp increase over any other exhuast brand, and with a choice of tip, should have one that would match your standard set up :)

I would also been intrested to know if you can put an uprated intercooler as well.

But ive got to say the 1.4tdi is one fantastic engine :) hope my limted knowledge helps :)

I am really out of things. I presume purchase same from Halfords or other motor shop? Finally why does it make what seems to suggest a noticeable change in performance?

Just wiki it mate, cant be bothered to type up an essay, O and yer anywere that sells green products will do :rolleyes:

Im Pretty sure I read somewhere that these are no where near as tunable as the 1.9 TDI's, reports of blown intercoolers and bottom ends I have read, that said If I had one I would probably remap it too and accept the risks

Im Pretty sure I read somewhere that these are no where near as tunable as the 1.9 TDI's, reports of blown intercoolers and bottom ends I have read, that said If I had one I would probably remap it too and accept the risks

I think the moral of the story is get a 1.9 TDi then you won't need to bother tuning it.

last time i checked the 1.4tdi was the same as the 1.9tdi just minus 1cylinder? so relaibillity should be no diffrent! but then get a 1.9 means higher tax, higher insurance other wise people would do so rember some people like myself are not over 40 were insurance isnt an issue, am 19 and getting insured on a 1.9 would be crippling, so people like myself would like to enhance what they already have :rolleyes:

I'm trying to get a P-Torque group buy up and running.

Just collecting interest at the moment but hopefully with enough numbers they can do us a good deal. Standard price is normally £265. They can map the 1.4 tdi to approx 105 bhp with an increase of 75nm of torque :thumbup:

Post your interest here: http://briskoda.net/performance-torque/possible-group-buy-interest/146808/

last time i checked the 1.4tdi was the same as the 1.9tdi just minus 1cylinder? so relaibillity should be no diffrent! but then get a 1.9 means higher tax, higher insurance other wise people would do so rember some people like myself are not over 40 were insurance isnt an issue, am 19 and getting insured on a 1.9 would be crippling, so people like myself would like to enhance what they already have :rolleyes:

I assume you will tell your insurance company of any mods carried out?!

Maybe worth contacting them to see how much the mods will increase your premium....

What is the effect on your insurance?

Some insurance companies will see these as performance mods.... which they are, and increase the premium accordingly...

Others won't insure modded cars at all...

Always worth checking as not declaring mods may invalidate policy..

• Like 1

mighty just wait until my insurance goes down so i can get ether a rx8 or focus st :)

PMSL:rofl: someone with the username TorqueXIsXCheap wanting an RX8, the RX8 has less torque than my lawnmower:D, but Focus ST on the other hand now thats a nice car:thumbup:

I think the 1.4 handles better (less weight in the nose) and prefer the half a flat 6 noise.

My concerns are if the clutch and the turbo and other parts can stand an extra 40-50ft/lbs of torque. There is suggestion that the clutch is too small and that the dinky turbo can't cope with more flow.

Experiences apreciated!

Guys, these 1.4TDI engines are bullet proof. Remember Audi ran them with 130bhp on tap with no problems. Although they may have used a different clutch...I'm afraid I haven't looked that one up. However, the turbo's are fine, they are only modestly boosting pressure in our Skoda's at 80ps and can be wound up some before any problems will occur. Tuned to 105ps should not cause any reliability problems I wouldn't have thought.

Edited by Estate Man

Guys, these 1.4TDI engines are bullet proof. Remember Audi ran them with 130bhp on tap with no problems. Although they may have used a different clutch...I'm afraid I haven't looked that one up. However, the turbo's are fine, they are only modestly boosting pressure in our Skoda's at 80ps and can be wound up some before any problems will occur. Tuned to 105ps should not cause any reliability problems I would have thought.

well said mate, vw make wonderful engines petrol NA, petrol turbo and derv :)

do you feel it would be wise to invest in a new clutch after such bhp and torque jumps?

well said mate, vw make wonderful engines petrol NA, petrol turbo and derv :)

do you feel it would be wise to invest in a new clutch after such bhp and torque jumps?

If it were my motor...I would look at replacing the clutch with a harder friction compound clutch. These disapate the heat better, but I don't think you would need to rush if 105bhp is the target power output especially if the standard unit is performing ok. More power will certainly wear it out more quickly. Any firm providing the tuning service will be able to advise on this.:thumbup:

I drive a Fabia Mk1 1.4 TDI, the original 75 Bhp version which is basically the same engine as the newer 80 BHP engine in the new Fabia.

It was remapped to around 100 Bhp after 10.000 miles, and the car has now covered over 100.000 miles, without the slightest problem. The cluth is original and the engine is in top condition, I believe it is capable of doing another 100.000 miles.

Performance wise a tuned 1.4 TDI easily beats a 1.9 TDI because of the shorter gears. (Of course when the 1.9 is tuned as well, is a different story.)

Theoretically top speed is limited though on a flat to 110 mph (GPS), but I've done over 120 mph (GPS reading) in downhill parts.

It always makes me smile when a 1.9 TDI new Octavia, or A4 has to pull to the slower lane. Of course I know its still not a fast car, but I measured acceleration from 0-62 around 10.8 secs. 0-100 mph is 32 secs which is still surprisingly rapid. (A VW Tiguan 2.0 CR TDI with 140 Bhp does 40s to 100 mph).

I've recently bought a 200 bhp petrol MkII Octy vRS as well, but the 1.4 TDI still impresses me every time I drive it.

I drive a Fabia Mk1 1.4 TDI, the original 75 Bhp version which is basically the same engine as the newer 80 BHP engine in the new Fabia.

It was remapped to around 100 Bhp after 10.000 miles, and the car has now covered over 100.000 miles, without the slightest problem. The cluth is original and the engine is in top condition, I believe it is capable of doing another 100.000 miles.

Performance wise a tuned 1.4 TDI easily beats a 1.9 TDI because of the shorter gears. (Of course when the 1.9 is tuned as well, is a different story.)

Theoretically top speed is limited though on a flat to 110 mph (GPS), but I've done over 120 mph (GPS reading) in downhill parts.

It always makes me smile when a 1.9 TDI new Octavia, or A4 has to pull to the slower lane. Of course I know its still not a fast car, but I measured acceleration from 0-62 around 10.8 secs. 0-100 mph is 32 secs which is still surprisingly rapid. (A VW Tiguan 2.0 CR TDI with 140 Bhp does 40s to 100 mph).

I've recently bought a 200 bhp petrol MkII Octy vRS as well, but the 1.4 TDI still impresses me every time I drive it.

That 100,000 miles seems good on the reliability of the clutch & engine.