Straight Through Again

Congrats on the trouble free MOT, although all my cars always go through first time I always feel like an expectant father whilst the test is being completed.

That's just the way I'm beginning to feel about my Superb after just 3 weeks with it :thumbup:

I wish I'd discovered them earlier, it has finished my love affair with Saabs :D

Is it me or do these cars just make you want to waft along rather than rag it within an inch of its life ? - I don't feel anywhere near as stressed at the end of a trip :cool:

Congrats on the trouble free MOT, although all my cars always go through first time I always feel like an expectant father whilst the test is being completed.

That's just the way I'm beginning to feel about my Superb after just 3 weeks with it :thumbup:

I wish I'd discovered them earlier, it has finished my love affair with Saabs :D

Is it me or do these cars just make you want to waft along rather than rag it within an inch of its life ? - I don't feel anywhere near as stressed at the end of a trip :cool:

Absolutely, it's a cruiser and it mellows you, I think a bit of the tortoise and the hare comes into it as well, you'll arrive a few minutes later than Mr Mondeo, but he'll burn up the time saved creaking and stretching as he gets out of his car :D where you'll simply get out and go straight to it, one of my best memories of a journey in mine is the day I got it, I went 150 miles to buy it and drove a Vectra up to see it, upon collecting it and getting home with it I didn't feel like I'd done 150 miles in it, where the Vectra or anything else that size made me well aware I had driven that mileage.

Agree on the hare and tortoise thing.

I did find a few years ago when I got my first SatNav and used the ETA as a reference when leaving on a Friday mad dash home (to give the wife an indication as to what time I'd be home) from Cambridgshire to N Wales it resulted in only a few mins saving from taking it steady.

By the time you've hit the congested moving traffic on the Motorway and hit the occasional set of lights and junctions it's not worth stressing yourself out and risking points on the licence.

Is it me or do these cars just make you want to waft along rather than rag it within an inch of its life ? - I don't feel anywhere near as stressed at the end of a trip

It's just you. You're getting old. :rotz:

I know what you mean though, I find if I cycle the computer display to average mpg and concentrate a little I can relax my driving style. Last week on a 225 mile combined journey cities / motorway with the car fully laden, 4 people and luggage I got .... wait for it .... fanfare please

mpg.jpg

Of course you can reverse those mpg figures if you turn the stereo up and go for it.;)

Nice work on the MoT btw.:thumbup:

Edited by allclownsareevi

Now there's a challenge, though I'm sure the V6 won't get anywhere near that.

On an A road 42 mile commute taking it steady I'm managing an indicated 45 with the climate turned off - loving this warm weather and wafting along with the windows down.

Not bad for a V6 man. :cool:

Bear in mind also that 57.2 is only indicated. You can subtract 5% for the speedo overread .... and with my car probably a further 5% because it's bhp is pumped up with a dragon tuning box. In real terms I probably got around 50-52mpg. What can I say, I'm a charlatan.:D

It's just you. You're getting old. :rotz:

I know what you mean though, I find if I cycle the computer display to average mpg and concentrate a little I can relax my driving style. Last week on a 225 mile combined journey cities / motorway with the car fully laden, 4 people and luggage I got .... wait for it .... fanfare please

mpg.jpg

Of course you can reverse those mpg figures if you turn the stereo up and go for it.;)

Nice work on the MoT btw.:thumbup:

Did the same thing from Scottish borders to the south of France and back, was showing from 68 to 75 MPG

I filled up in Lyon and got back home just as the fuel warning light came on there was 867 miles on the trip not bad going for a 130 tdi superb

Lyon to calise dover to M25 M1 M6 A7

Did the same thing from Scottish borders to the south of France and back, was showing from 68 to 75 MPG

I filled up in Lyon and got back home just as the fuel warning light came on there was 867 miles on the trip not bad going for a 130 tdi superb

Lyon to calise dover to M25 M1 M6 A7

Nice! Far in excess of what I get. My journey involved inner city runs too, but doubt I'd have gotten much over 65mpg if it had been all motorway. Hmm will check the next time I get a long journey.

Amazing how obsessed you get with the mpg readout, reminds me of trying to beat pacman hi-score as a kid ... problem is I also have an average speed readout so whatever I gain on one hi-score board, I lose points on the other. :rofl:

Best I've managed is 52 mpg, clear motorway most of the way, some DC's and a small urban, but mine is automatic, but at 3 mpg behind my manual Vectra as an overall real world test I'm happy enough.

Strangely enough driving on busy motorways helps, it slows your average speed from 90-ish mph down to 65. (of course this is only on Germany's derestricted autobahns, going over 70mph on any UK road would be illegal). Then you try the same on a quiet journey but it never works, at 65mph it feels like you could get out and walk faster. :P

Breakin' the law, breakin' the law.

Strangely enough driving on busy motorways helps, it slows your average speed from 90-ish mph down to 65. (of course this is only on Germany's derestricted autobahns, going over 70mph on any UK road would be illegal). Then you try the same on a quiet journey but it never works, at 65mph it feels like you could get out and walk faster. :P

;););););):thumbup:

My 2.5 tdi does 26mpg when I'm driving to work (all urban) and 45mpg on the motorway, although I dont beleive that as to a point it seems to do better when I go slightly over 70mph.

I agree watching the mpg gauge makes you drive more sensibly. Its my new game to see how carefully I can drive it. I keep meaning to test it by noting the diesel I've put in against the mileage.

My 2.5 tdi does 26mpg when I'm driving to work (all urban) and 45mpg on the motorway, although I dont beleive that as to a point it seems to do better when I go slightly over 70mph.

I agree watching the mpg gauge makes you drive more sensibly. Its my new game to see how carefully I can drive it. I keep meaning to test it by noting the diesel I've put in against the mileage.

Mines a 1.9 130 auto guys, figures don't seem to have a lot in it, but having said that if I'm not working the car urban does seem to climb into the 30's so I reckon the 26mpg from a V6 is about right. :thumbup:

Mines a manual as well. Still trying to workout if its costing me more in fuel than my old 2.0dti astravan. I think its thirstier in town but strangely more economic on the motorway. Either way any savings are offset by the VED next year £235 I'm expecting prices of the 2.5tdi to drop through the floor, bad times...

Edited by oli superb
I'm a numpty

Mines a manual as well. Still trying to workout if its costing me more in fuel than my old 2.0dti astravan. I think its thirstier in town but strangely more economic on the motorway. Either way any savings are offset by the VED next year £235 I'm expecting prices of the 2.5tdi to drop through the roof, bad times...

Thats * through the floor * btw ;)

Ahem

mpg2.jpg

:thumbup:

getting better.

Just did a 570-mile round trip to Brighton for a few days. Typically 90ish on the motorway, so happy with the 52mpg for the tankfull which included some local miles.

Just had a thought (I do sometimes)... I wonder what effect lowering a Superb has on the aerodynamics and therefore on the high speed fuel consumption. If it's good, Baker should be well in pocket :D

I wonder what effect lowering a Superb has on the aerodynamics and therefore on the high speed fuel consumption. If it's good, Baker should be well in pocket

Surely the fact he's skimming the paint off of the road markings would contribute to the drag factor? :confused:

44-45mpg* - 100% B roads (back lanes..) 22 mile journey to work - quite relaxing as other folk tend to think you are wider than you actually are and slow down to pass...

2.0 TDi manual...... happy enough with that.... 3000 miles now and nothing comes close for the £12.5K...

*indicated and works out the same brim to brim fill ups.. (more than the Vectra ever did..)

Wow your indicated mpg is in fact your real world mpg too?

Mine indicated an average of 47.3 and worked out real world as 42.2 mpg. Roughly 11% difference. Guessing my tuning box has something to do with that mind. :rotz:

It seems to .. its certainly nothing like the lies the Vectra used to spout about 40 plus to the gallon.. which were more like high twenties, low thirties...

Superb 2.0 Tdi.. manual... 3000 miles on clock.. 20/25 miles to work... B/C and D roads.. A roads and motorway at the week ends..

552 miles - £59.92 at 104.9 per litre to brim.... I cant work in inches :rotz:... so 104.9 x 4.4546 = £4.67 a gallon..

59.92/4.67 = 12.83 gallons.... 552 /12.83 = 43.02....

Indicated was 44.2 on the car display..

I lied...:rofl: ... must look to buying a new anorak.,.. sorry folks..