Another Bioderv question

Right, ive searched and searched for an answer to this, and found some semi-helpfull threads.

Im wondering if I can run my '53 Fabia vRS on Bioderv?

And if I have to mix if 40 Bio / 60 Derv or if I can run it 100%.

Ive found a local company that can deliver in an IBC tank to my farm, so if I can run the Fabia on 100%, I can run my tractor off the same IBC tank.

Dave

We have our own BioDiesel tank for our work fleet and its success varies depending on who you talk too!

Older vehicles seem fine, with newer ones suffering a bit, while some of the Transits had serious issues - although this has been creditted to a poor batch of fuel rather than any inherent problems.

I know we have a 51 Octy1 Elegance that runs fine on the stuff along with 2 or 3 BMW 320d's - although i can't tell you if its 100% or a mix

HTH

but surely with a farm the Fabia should be running on the red stuff anyhow?! ;)

For PD engines only. According to the handbook only EN51 606 compliant Bio fuel which is basically Rape Seed oil. It also says Bio fuel gives less performance but more mileage.

Cliff - I was tempted to run red diesel on the track day on Saturday but I'd have to completely drain the tank afterwards and it really wasn't worth the hassle ;(

I still regard that to be a "deterrent myth", to be honest Chris.

And - you're not in big trouble if it is found - so long as you can prove that you've purchased "white diesel" for all of your roadgoing miles - not a problem for me as I have every receipt I've ever had for fuel.. god knows why! :D

But still not worth the hassle in my opinion.

but surely with a farm the Fabia should be running on the red stuff anyhow?! ;)

Have got a tank of red, but cant afford to loose my licence.

I have used red in mine, but I see it as being fine, as I do do some offroad miles (private land / air field / farm / track), so I wouldnt need to pay tax I dont think.

So if my tank was dipped, I think it would be ok, as long as it wasnt pure red.

Red does stain the tank, but I know that if you put white through, it washed the stain off quite well.

I know of a company that puts 2nd fuel tanks on lorrys and run red, but switch it over quick when they get pulled, so by the time its dipped, the lines are white. Haha.

Not that im condoning this.

Any how, getting off topic here.

So are we all thinking that rapeseed derv is ok for the PD engine?

Dave

I have buried the kitten somewhere discrete and did the search for you....:rolleyes:

http://briskoda.net/search.php?searchid=4252189

In short...

You can run your VRS on B100 should you wish too but it will be a bugger to start. It's not recommended but it will run and as long as it is good stuff (en590) then it will cause few problems other than the starting issue.

It also depends if your using proper bio or WVO which are very different

If Bio I would suggest you start at about 50% and see how you go as different cars react different to different mixes/batches

If WVO I would suggest you start about 20% and see how that works out.

I have done 300k+ on Bio/WVO in several PD's (Even done track days on the stuff) and am currently running a PD105 which is supposed to be a big NONO for Bio on 30% WVO and I have had no issues. (43k and the PD105 is still on it's original filter too)

You need to be aware that if you were to follow the letter of the law then you shouldn't touch it but it's your choice. If you feel the pros outweigh the cons then go for it and don't listen to all these people who read a forum post two years ago about a bloke who's brothers mate knew someone who needed a new fuel pump after trying it... There are risks but sometimes you need to get the tee-shirt

Plenty of info out there just don't let the Know all - Do nothings put you off.

I still regard that to be a "deterrent myth", to be honest Chris.

And - you're not in big trouble if it is found - so long as you can prove that you've purchased "white diesel" for all of your roadgoing miles - not a problem for me as I have every receipt I've ever had for fuel.. god knows why! :D

But still not worth the hassle in my opinion.

I'd imagine not. For a start, few people keep every receipt. Then, say if you did use red on a track, surely you'd have to drain it empty? How would you prove all your road miles were done on white diesel?

edit: Just noticed you said about draining. Big PITA.

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed that our MOrrisons garage now have B30 Biodiesel.

Would this run okay in our 06 Fabia 1.4TDI? Not sure if the turbo is an issue or not. I'd like to have it as an option, but don't want to srew the injectors or anything.

my octy 110tdi runs 100% bio without any starting issues or running issues.

Yet to try some of my homebrew in a pd engine

You wait until it gets a bit colder... :thumbup:

How old is the 110? You know it rots rubber?

I've noticed that our MOrrisons garage now have B30 Biodiesel.

Would this run okay in our 06 Fabia 1.4TDI? Not sure if the turbo is an issue or not. I'd like to have it as an option, but don't want to srew the injectors or anything.

Does it have a DPF fitted?

no reason for me, unless it was a lot cheaper id not even consider it

If you don't see any benefit then don't use it.

So if the B30 is no cheaper whats the reason for even thinking about trying it?!

Your using less mineral diesel therefore playing a part in reducing the Uk's reliance on fossil fuels. It's not all about saving money.

If you find that important then it the option is there.

Dunno - how would I find out?

Well it's pretty obvious if it is fitted, you will have a light on the dash showing it's status.

Also there is a sticker with a big long list of 3 character option codes fitted in your car.

If you run the codes through this decoder :

VW Group Option Codes Decoder - http://igorweb.org/equidec/Default.aspx

I put quite a lot of Morrison's B30 in Skudmissile's Octavia when I had it. I liked to think that it cleaned out the engine and kept the smoke down, but since I never followed myself I couldn't tell for sure. I do know that before I used it I managed to give my brother's Civic Type-S a bit of a misfire when he tried to follow me ;)

As for rotting rubber, I don't think the 110 is *that* old :p

You wait until it gets a bit colder... :thumbup:

How old is the 110? You know it rots rubber?

51 reg :thumbup:

I know it does, but it doesnt really bother me as ill swap the lines when it goes and fit viteon seals to the pump.

Weather wont bother me once ive got my twin tank setup working :thumbup: