Help - loud bang, no smoke, no start....

OK so heres where I currently stand....

The turbo was warped and the bearing was unevenly worn when i bought it, as proven by TD....However, the crack cannot have happened until after I bought it as I saw the blade/fan moving freely when I bought it, the guys who are fitting it also confirmed it was spinning freely when they got it, and that when they took it off it wasnt.

TD state that the reason it stopped spinning was due to heavy impact or it being dropped, ofcourse im not in the situation of 'no one dropped it', yet im left with a completly f**king useless turbo thats beyond repair, with no evidence to point at anyone, £250 out of pocket and a fabia im paying off which I cant drive.......

Im currently not happy to say the least...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eyup Dan, thats a poor position your in fella.. atleast getting one from TD will finally get you sorted.

How much are they charging for stage 2?...it may be worth it in the long run!

only a standard one metz, pd150, dont have the coin for a hybrid at the moment, especially now im 250 out of pocket.... and yes geordie, im sure things will pick up, just bad times at the minute.

I have two options being as im officially skint now.

Buy a standard Garrett PD150 at cost which is about 600 inc vat - after payday one

OR

Buy a hyrbrid and wait an extra month...which is about twice the price.

I know which one makes most sense, but i dunno if i can be without my car for another month.

Edited by devonutopia
removing personal stuff - No need to make it public, so please don't - BOTH of you :)

• 2 weeks later...

My Fabia VRS oem turbo went in the same manner - slight knock, stall, and then just left able to turn over without actually starting the engine. Stuck in Snowdonia for 7 hours waiting RAC. Had a new Garrett unit fitted and replacement injectors - several pipes if not all in the end required replacing as they were blown with oil I presume.

Interestingly the turbo has never whistled like the oem unit although there is more power with the Garrett. However over the last month it has started whining and has got louder. It is just under 1 year old so I hope when it is checked tomorrow I am in warranty unlike when the oem turbo went just under 3 years but over mileage.

• 1 month later...

Im now in this same situation - not a good one, must be said!

Ive decided to just get a new PD150 turbo from Turbo Technics, as they were the cheapest £750 all in - OUCH!

What other damage has my turbo likely to have caused? Im really hoping nothing much - but will have to wait for the diagnostic checks to be done first.

Anyone?

When the car stopped working, there was no smoke out of the exhaust or anything, and when I checked the dipstick the sump was still full of oil.

Is it likely that there will be alot of other damage to other components?

Si.