Bad Smell off Washer Fluid

Last week all of a sudden I started getting a really bad smell after using my window washers. It smells like Cat Pi$$. I emptied the bottle by continually spraying. I topped it up a little and let empty again. Then |I filled up we new water and washer fluid, but I can still get the hint of the smell.

Any idea why this has started happening, is it something to do with really hot weather?

Edited by GAFF

I don't know about the VRS, but on the elegance when you use the windscreen washers the a/c goes into recirculation, perhaps the smell is linked to this. You could always try running the a/c on recirculation to see if this causes the smell to come back,if so then a clean of the a/c system is needed. There are a few threads on here on how to do it. :)

cat p-ss smell is air con and correctly noticed as the recirc comes on. get some air con cleaner and give it a go with that and also look at your pollen filter as it might just need changing too.

cat p-ss smell is air con and correctly noticed as the recirc comes on. get some air con cleaner .

Would the issue only be apparent when recirc on? I happened to have the AC on today (Auto button on....Recirc NOT ON) and there was no smell.

also look at your pollen filter as it might just need changing too.

Are you suggesting it may be blocked and causing the issue?

Checked your footwells incase any has leaked ?

Would it be leaking when recirc pressed?

Could be a build up of fungus in the washer bottle? I've heard of that happening. I've just posted a thread on smelly AC too - bizarrely!

Worth filling up the washer bottle with a bleach mix perhaps, and leaving it overnight before emptying?

Steve

The pollen filter holds lots of bacteria over time with the cold, warm hot changes in air temp this helps bacteria grow and the smell get worse. Changing the pollen filter takes away lots of the bacteria trapped here. Air con being turned off does make it smell more and putting it back on tends to know the smell away for a very short time.

The smell of cat p-ss is the same i had on my astra and after using comma (which cleaned it for about a week) pouring nice smelling fragences into the air intake area between the bonnet and windscreen the smell would eventually come back.

Eventually after taking all the pipes out and washing them in disinfectant i changed the pollen filter and the smell just went, so it might be an option to start with changing the pollen filter first, check all air intakes are not block, remove leaves etc which will be living behind pollen filter (and could be also contributing to it) and go from there.

Could be a build up of fungus in the washer bottle? I've heard of that happening. I've just posted a thread on smelly AC too - bizarrely!

Worth filling up the washer bottle with a bleach mix perhaps, and leaving it overnight before emptying?

Steve

Opening the Lid of the washer bottle and there's a savage smell out of it, like rotten eggs. I don't fancy emptying bleach onto my screen so and other tips on what to put in or how to fill/empty it best.

I suggest you try filling up with Milton Fluid (the stuff usually sold to sterilise baby feeding bottles) - available at any supermarket or chemist.

Make up the solution as per the instructions on the bottle (ie dilute it - don't use it neat!), then get as much into the bottle as you can. Then just pass the whole bottle through the jets by spraying your screen as per usual with the vehicle stationary (I suggest you turn off all ventilation inside the car first, if you want to avoid the smell ingressing). Then, when bottle is empty, just make up a pint of Milton, pour it into the bottle and then operate the washers until the jets are again spraying (ie the system is now fully 'primed' with Milton). Leave the system primed with Milton for 20-30 mins (whilst it does its stuff), then keep spraying until the system is empty again. Then refill with your normal screenwash fluid.

Milton will kill any bacteria and mould lurking in your pipework and will not harm your screen, seals or paintwork in any way - remember it's used to sterilise baby bottles and they are then reused without rinsing the Milton out!

HTH

Edited by youngbaz
Added further instruction at end of second para!

Cheers for the tips, I rang the garage to see if there's any products they'd recommend. He said to flush out with hot water. I removed the cover for the tow hitch and also the cover under the wheelarch so I could pop out the pump connection to the bottle, so I could flush it easier.

He thinks he may be due to over use of windscreen fluid and the length of time its in it due to lack of use.

I always use battery top up water, i got a foul smell a few summers ago like i trodden in something. Since using the battery top up its fine. Also stops lime marks and the jets getting blocked.

Speaking as a microbiologist, the problem of grotty windscreen wash water usually occurs when you add water to top up the washer reservoir and this dilutes the screen wash to a such a degree that it is no longer inhibitory to mould and bacteria, they go on to metabolise the organic detergent compounds etc and make it go foul.

Another suitable fix for the smell would be empty the system and add bi-carbonate of soda solution and wash this through.

To avoid future problems, keep the washer solution sufficiently concentrated.

:eek: I have the smell at the moment and its certainly the washer fluid, I have had to wash out the bottle in the past to remove a black stain inside the bottle, must try the milton trick to see if it works :confused: cheers - Stuart.

I always use battery top up water, i got a foul smell a few summers ago like i trodden in something. Since using the battery top up its fine. Also stops lime marks and the jets getting blocked.

A cheaper source of suitable water is the water from a condensing tumble drier.:)

fyi I tried flushing a few times with cold water. Then filled up twice with hot water (leaving for a while each time). No chemicals needed, theres only water in it now so I'll see how it goes.

Car plan do a lovely 'cherry flavoured' screen wash. My wife sprays the screen just for the smell now!

Haven't half gone through a lot of it lately.......

Car plan do a lovely 'cherry flavoured' screen wash. My wife sprays the screen just for the smell now!

Don't you mean "cherry scented"?

Unless of course you have been having a crafty slurp. :rofl:

Used to get the smell problem with Halfords normal screenwash. Never had it since changing to Halfords super concentrated - even when very dilute. It is all to do with the preservative.

Agreed.

taxi drivers fill their washers up with strong smelling screen wash in case they have smelly passengers, so if they always washing the windows then you know you smell :rofl:

Wonder why the Octy is so popular with them then?After all it sets the air to recirculate to STOP any smell enterintg eh interior. I would have thought air fresheners would eb more useful?>