glowplug warning light flashing!?!

Hello,

I am hoping some wise folks may be able to assist?

I have a 56 plate Octavia 2.0l TDI VRs estate that had a strange problem on the way home today.

After I stopped to put diesel in Iwent to re-start the car and the glowplug lights stayed on and kept flashing and the message "engine fault workshop" appeared. I managed to trundle home using the engine safety mode and went to look up the light on this forum because I did not get an owners manual with it (ex lease hire).

I looked up the fault and it say's it needs to go to a garage for diagnostic, however I went back outside to make sure i had my facts right before I called the garage and the light and the warning message has gone!?!

I took the car out for a spin and it seems fine now.

My question is do you think I should still take it to a garage for a diagnostic or is this a common issue?

Thanks for reading.

Steve

Where in the country are you as many of us on here have VAG-COM which is a diagnostic reader (and more) and will likely read the codes for a few beer tokens.

Usually a flashing glowplug is related to the brake light switch, however the only way to find out what caused it is to read the fault codes either on VAG-COM or at a dealer.

My brothers Fabia VRS had this, but it drove fine, it just didn't have any brake lights. It was a common brake light switch fault.

My old passat TDI had the same issue, when it started flashing and I lost power, it then developed and left me stranded at the side of the road on a fast idle with a throttle pedal which did sod all.... VagCom said it was a throttle position sensor, but it turned out to be faulty wiring.

Where in the country are you as many of us on here have VAG-COM which is a diagnostic reader (and more) and will likely read the codes for a few beer tokens.

Usually a flashing glowplug is related to the brake light switch, however the only way to find out what caused it is to read the fault codes either on VAG-COM or at a dealer.

Thanks for the reply, I am just outside Bath in the Southwest and am more than willing to exchange some beer tokens for further assistance:D.

I have checked the brake lights and they are fine. Please excuse my ignorance but would the VAG-COM be able to identify the cause even though the light has gone out and it appears to be driving fine?

My brothers Fabia VRS had this, but it drove fine, it just didn't have any brake lights. It was a common brake light switch fault.

My old passat TDI had the same issue, when it started flashing and I lost power, it then developed and left me stranded at the side of the road on a fast idle with a throttle pedal which did sod all.... VagCom said it was a throttle position sensor, but it turned out to be faulty wiring.

I had a similar issue with my Audi A4, i.e. loss of power, being stranded and fast idle. called out the RAC and it turned out to be caused by water getting in behind the bulkhead and it screwed up the electronic throttle.

Thanks for the reply, I am just outside Bath in the Southwest and am more than willing to exchange some beer tokens for further assistance:D.

I have checked the brake lights and they are fine. Please excuse my ignorance but would the VAG-COM be able to identify the cause even though the light has gone out and it appears to be driving fine?

Probably. It should have stored a code in the engine ECU.

I am driving TDi's for 10 years, this problem might be caused by the engine getting used to different fuel (does not have to mean bad fuel), I experienced it several times. No reason for panic unless the warning appears daily.

I learned to stay away from non-branded gas stations, however last month I tanked in Germany at Aral and found out that I got diesel mixed with 7% biodiesel (arghh!!!) and got engine warnings. These are now gone.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I had a similar issue with my previous car. (W reg Vauxhall Astra 1.7 DTI) after the first start in the morning the glow plug light stayed on until I turned the engine off and restarted it. This was the daily routine for some time. Then a mechanic friend of mine measured the resistance levels in each glowplug to find out that one was faulty. Replacing the faulty one cured the problem.

Apparently starting cold engine needs all the glowplugs do their job but startting a hot engine does not need the glow plugs since high temperature in the cyclinders with high compression is enough to start the engine.

Yours might be something similar if it occurs on a daily routine.

• 2 years later...

After I stopped to put diesel in Iwent to re-start the car and the glowplug lights stayed on and kept flashing and the message "engine fault workshop" appeared. I managed to trundle home using the engine safety mode and went to look up the light on this forum because I did not get an owners manual with it (ex lease hire).

Don't know if it's reassuring or made worse when you know you have similar fault to others...

Yesterday morning, car started fine, got to work, no problems.

Left work at half 4, car started fine, reversed out of space, drove 100 yds to exit car park and message "engine fault workshop" came up, along with a flashing glow plug.

Car still drove ok, no loss of power, and within 30 seconds, the message and glow plug had disappeared.

Started the car again this morning, no problems, reversed off the drive, again drive 100 yds before the warning message appeared and the glow plug flashed up. Same as last night, within 30 seconds, both had disappeared and the car ran fine.

The car is a 2009 Octavia vrs, 31,000 miles 2.0 CR diesel

What I can't understand is why the message and glow plugs do not show up as soon as the car starts? The message comes up approx a minute after the car has started and I've started my journey. Surely if there is a fault, it would register as soon as the engine starts?

Have noticed a couple of times where the engine idles at 1000rpm, rather then the usual 700/800 ish rpm - but never thought this was a significant problem. Could the two be connected?

Update...

booked car in to garage for a check over today.

As it happens, got in the car to go to the garage, started fine, then the msg and the glow plug symbol flashed, but this time the EML was lit up too, and the car was running on 'limp mode'

Just glad it was booked in the garage today!!

See what they say when they call me later :S

My previous 57 plate vRS PD TDi did this once. Called Skoda Assist out. They replaced an exhaust sensor and all was well. No more problems till I traded the car in.

I had the same problem and the same solution on my 58 plate CR vRS.

Result...

Garage just called, a scan of the car flagged up a faulty Gas Temperature Sensor* in the Turbo, part replaced, and car ready to collect, all done under warrenty.

Will pick car up later, but very happy with outcome so far.

That reminds me, I must go and amend my previous post under East Midland dealers...

* Edit - must of misheard on the phone, the warranty paperwork says Replaced G235 Exhausr Temp Sender Bank 1

Edited by Paul1.9L&KOct

Don't know if it's reassuring or made worse when you know you have similar fault to others...

Yesterday morning, car started fine, got to work, no problems.

Left work at half 4, car started fine, reversed out of space, drove 100 yds to exit car park and message "engine fault workshop" came up, along with a flashing glow plug.

Car still drove ok, no loss of power, and within 30 seconds, the message and glow plug had disappeared.

Started the car again this morning, no problems, reversed off the drive, again drive 100 yds before the warning message appeared and the glow plug flashed up. Same as last night, within 30 seconds, both had disappeared and the car ran fine.

The car is a 2009 Octavia vrs, 31,000 miles 2.0 CR diesel

What I can't understand is why the message and glow plugs do not show up as soon as the car starts? The message comes up approx a minute after the car has started and I've started my journey. Surely if there is a fault, it would register as soon as the engine starts?

Have noticed a couple of times where the engine idles at 1000rpm, rather then the usual 700/800 ish rpm - but never thought this was a significant problem. Could the two be connected?

Mine's doing this at the moment - being fixed on Friday. The Engine fault workshop message appears more frequently the longer the problem goes unresolved. It's more or less constantly coming on with that d&mn bong noise...Friday can't come soon enough. They've told me its the EGR.

Is your car currently in limp mode?

Mine worked fine since Monday night when the fault first occurred through to Tuesday night, but this morning on the way to the garage, it went into limp mode and the EML was permanently on, and the workshop message and glow plug light flashed and 'bonged' the whole way there.

Glad its sorted now though - hope yours gets sorted just as quick

Is your car currently in limp mode?

Mine worked fine since Monday night when the fault first occurred through to Tuesday night, but this morning on the way to the garage, it went into limp mode and the EML was permanently on, and the workshop message and glow plug light flashed and 'bonged' the whole way there.

Glad its sorted now though - hope yours gets sorted just as quick

Hi Guys

may i Add some comments about the Glow Plug mine was daignosed with 3 faults the glow plug will come on if any of the following become loose or faulty

1, If your skoda is fitted with an electrinic accelorator pedal check the connection behind the pedal if this works loos the the glow plug will come on.

2, check the break light make sure they are all working ok if one is out the glow plug will light up.

3, check or replace the glow plubgs in the engine,

If passanger air bag light comes on check the connectio nhas not come loose under the passenger seat from what i've been told from an auto electrician the cable is just too short under the seat each time yo move the seat back am fourth when a different size passage gets in the car the cable can work loose, I ve had all the problem above and it cost me a lot of money to get fixed I've put this information on here so everyone can daignose the faults themself and not get Ripped OFF like i did,

shoda

Edited by shoda

• 4 weeks later...

My 170PD came up with TURBO UNDERBOOST.

Turbo cleaned, sorted the problem. £40 cleaning kit + Labour.

used to go into limp home (reset after a engine reboot) at 2k revs up hill under load in 6th. Sorted now.

My inlet filter has just gone causing a misfire in #4 pot. Having the EGR valve cleaned whilst it is off.

I love my car but it costs, A LOT!

Andy

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The glow plug light started flashing half way across the M62 last night - no apparent shift into limp-home mode or anything like that. It went out when I stopped and re-started the car, and having looked here I've just been out and checked the brake lights - all fine

Do I fanny about trying to get a garage to look at it under warranty, or do I wait till the service is due about the beginning of April ?

• 2 months later...

My glow plug is now flashing, the car feels very jerky some times when cruising down through a gear, say from traffic light to traffic light....as soon as you re accelerate it feels like the engine takes a moment then goes or jerks.....

I somehow feel this is connected to the glow plug warning light. would knackered glow plugs actually make a 'hesitant' feeling when accelerating?

The glowplug light doubles as an engine management light on VAG diesels, its highly unlikely the fault is anything to do with the glowplugs themselves. You need to get the stored fault codes read, preferably with VCDS, to establish what the fault is.

My glow plug is now flashing, the car feels very jerky some times when cruising down through a gear, say from traffic light to traffic light....as soon as you re accelerate it feels like the engine takes a moment then goes or jerks.....

I somehow feel this is connected to the glow plug warning light. would knackered glow plugs actually make a 'hesitant' feeling when accelerating?

Mine done the same and it was the exhaust pressure sensor very common and costs about €50 and need s to be adapted by Skoda or a vw computer.