Rear caliper refurb?

I think I've determined the source of my brakes squealing very loudly when reversing. The rear nearside caliper is not fully returning, and is dragging on the disc all the time, causing a squeal when reversing.

I've had a pad catch fire in this caliper before, which I thought was due to the pad material breaking away and jamming between the disc and pad. But maybe this was just the result of the caliper seizing. The dust boot for the piston is ripped badly, and I fear the piston surface has corroded or gotten dirty, causing it not to fully retract.

Is there a recon kit for the rear calipers? (seals, boots etc..) If so, how much roughly if anyone knows?

Also, does anyone know what make the rear calipers are, and maybe even a P/N and price on a new one?

I seem to spend all my free time farting about with brakes and suspension at the moment! :rolleyes:

Mine does the same mate but it's the offside (R/H) that squeels on mine.

I've read of someone else on here with the same problem recently.

Keep us updated mate :)

A note of caution.

If you remove a caliper then to bleed the brakes afterwards the ABS needs to be turned off, something you obviously cannot do without a fully functioning VAG-COM.

I found this out the hard way after several frustrating hours and an equal number of liters of brake fluid on a MKIV Golf which is fundamentally what the Octavia is.

If it is different on the Skoda then I'm happy to be corrected..

I've had my rear brakes stripped and rebuilt twice by the dealer and in the short term it sorts the noise out but long term it comes back. i've given up going back as don't reverse all that much :D

there are a number of mk1 vrs owners who seem to experience this - i was advised that chamfered (spelling?) brake pads has sorted it for a number of people when i posted on here a while back (search for mooing brakes)

personally I have taken to stamping briefly on the brakes hard when the noise starts in reverse (at slow/walking speed!) and then continuing to reverse - seems to do the trick, however hardly an ideal solution :rolleyes:

let us know if you manage to sort it with a recon :thumbup:

Edited by mn1981
edit: corrected to chamfered brake pads rather than just chamfered! oops

Well so far I've discovered it's a Lucas rear caliper on the vRS, with a 38mm piston diameter.

Best price I've found is around £100 for a new OE green one.

I'm hoping I can just buy the inner and outer seals, and maybe the piston, from Skoda though. It looks to be a simple case of screwing out the piston with the windback tool, then replacing the seals and piston once it's cleaned/replaced. I need to check with Skoda whether I can actually buy these bits though.

I don't really want to spend that much money on a new caliper, so if anyone has a spare.....

Ha! Skoda want £170 for a new caliper! They also offer no refurb kit, or spare parts.

I have however spotted some similar spec aftermarket calipers from Compbrake. Still has a single 38mm piston, and is still a sliding design with integrated handbrake. Called a Comp-R2, and costs £55. I've emailed them for suitability. Comp B6 Racing Caliper

Right, more bad news.

GSF don't sell the rear calipers. God knows why not!

Partco sell them, but for £126.55 + vat! Or will recondition my old one for £85ish + vat.

I'm not spending £145 on one standard rear caliper! Fingers crossed for Compbrake replying....

these people Car Brakes | We stock, Discs, Shoes, Calipers & More! have pistons and seal kits for 38mm diameter calipers , look up for the VRS then once you have the caliper click on associated parts, under £20 for a piston and £7 for a piston seal kit

hth

Dave

Cheers for that. There don't seem to be any associated parts for the vRS calipers on there, but I'll give them a ring to double check as like you say they do have other 38mm pistons.

My only concern is that it's not a sticky piston, but the handbrake mechanism being rubbish....

Today's update!

Cheapest OE green caliper I've found is £88.72 (+£28.75 refundable surcharge), from car-brakes.co.uk. They are in Rochdale, so only 20mins from me which is handy. Very tempting......

The vRS shares rear caliper patterns with the following vehicles:

Golf R32 (BLUE)

TT 3.2 Quattro

Seat LCR (RED)

TT 225 Quattro

Golf Anniversary (RED)

Golf V5 170

Golf V6 4-Motion

Some of these are unpainted, red and even blue. Also, I believe some of these calipers are made from aluminium rather than just cast iron like the vRS ones. If this is true, and your replacing both at the same time, get the ally ones! Less unsprung mass and all.....

EDIT: It was a lie! They are all cast iron, you just have a choice of 3 colours or plain.

Edited by Bodge

I wonder if any of those other cars have issues with mooing brakes?

The dealer I got my vRS from told me that he had heard of it on polo's... :confused: not sure if he was winding me up..

Right, parts have been acquired! I had a very successful trip to Brakes International today. Great set up they have over in Rochdale, and very helpfull staff.

I bought:

-Reconditioned (by Budweg) green rear caliper for £77.15+vat [came already primed with fluid and generally an excellent finish, including new dust seals for the guide pins, new guide pin bolts and some grease].

-Pagid OE pads for £19.97+vat [included 4 new guide pin bolts].

-Fitting kit for £7.32+vat [4 new retaining springs that hold the pads in the carrier].

I also got a Gunson Eezibleed kit for the car, and some DOT 4 fluid. Looking forward to replacing the caliper, as it's eating my relatively new Zimmerman rear discs!

Brilliant bit of detective work Bodge:thumbup:

Ive bought the Gunson brake bleeding system as well for when I change the front disks and pads (std parts). Had to go back to the shop as someone had nicked the cap that I need for my master cylinder reservoir.

I have changed the rears but will flush the system when I do the front.

Peter

Edited by Silver Bullet

The dust boot for the piston is ripped badly, and I fear the piston surface has corroded or gotten dirty, causing it not to fully retract.

Is there a recon kit for the rear calipers? (seals, boots etc..) If so, how much roughly if anyone knows?

Also, does anyone know what make the rear calipers are, and maybe even a P/N and price on a new one?

The rears on pretty much most things are Lucas, but they are now part of TRW.

I have bough seal kits for the rears on old Golfs before, but they are a pain to change as the piston has the be unscrewed out, and there are all sorts of gubbins inside to do with the handbrake mech, in the past I have not been able to get them to work right afterwards so have just put it back together and done an exchange for a new one instead.

With some sticking rear brakes I have also had trouble with stiff handbrake cables stopping the lever on the caliper from returning to its rest position, and also stiff sliders as sometimes those little concertina boots split and the slider pins corrode inside the carrier.

Righto I'm all sorted now. Big difference in fuel economy, so the new caliper will pay for itself in no time. Was only seeing 30mpg over a 240mile journey before. I assumed it was my driving! Achieved 36mpg on the same run with the new caliper! And 38mpg going to London and back, and I wasn't even trying.

Took about 90mins to do the job. Removed guide pins, regreased them and fitted new boots. Bolted on shiny new caliper easily. Bled the system. Very easy job with excellent results.

No more squealing when reversing! I can finally park without shame!

• 5 months later...

Bodge M8 skoda do repair kits they just do not like telling anyone, it fits all the audi VW and skoda with these brakes.A7235A01 is the rear axle (2 off) seal kits this includes, dustseal, piston seal and bolts, I am sure it was around * quid genuine parts. I am sure this is the number but the box has a lot of dirty hand marks on it. If this number is not helpful then will put a piccy on. Good Luck and be cheeky.

• 2 months later...

No problemo! Glad that this can be of use to others. I enjoy a good geekathon!

Just as a note, the brakes are still great. Zero issues since doing this.

Good to know, ive got the same issue with mine now, just got off the phone with Brakes International, £75.76 + VAT, bit cheaper now :giggle:

Good to know, ive got the same issue with mine now, just got off the phone with Brakes International, £75.76 + VAT, bit cheaper now :giggle:

Nice one Gav!

You ever get that spring fitted? Or did you go for coilovers in the end....

• 1 year later...

I have just order a rear calliper from brakes international after reading this post as my o/s/r is sticking badly. Do you need vag com to turn abs off to bleed the brakes as stated earlier in the post?