Oil Consumption

My 20 valve 1.8 Turbo seems to be using too much oil.

After an oil change service I managed 6000 miles before the light came on.

It has come on again after adding 3/4 litre at 8300 from the service.

That means 3/4 litre burns off in 2300 miles.

When new this car ran 14,000 before needing oil.

Now it has done 108,000miles

Any thoughts. I have been using Shell Helix Ultra X 0w 30

Has anyone re-ringed one of these engines?

Or is it just a case of using a thicker oil?

PeterH

yea

skoda have gone to the 5w30 now. all engines use oil but I think that that is a fair bit. mind they are gettin on a bit now. mine is 4+ yr old and on 68K+ and still doesnt use oil yet. I hope it continues.

My old car (1999 Astra 1.6 8v) used to use a fair bit of oil. I used to go from Catterick garrison to hudderfield and back every weekend and Id have to top it up every second week with bout 1/2 l of oil. never smoked but did seem thirsty on oil.

billy

I don't know if the VRS can do variable, but it's worth checking the PCV and breathers are not blocked and cousing more oil to build up there, make it past the rings etc and burn or exit via a pressureised rocker cover.

It's also possibly worth considering a move to using the VW504 (5w30) oils or go to fixed if you are not already as IIRC the oils for that are a bit thicker.

Check the back of the engine block, I had a leaking rocker cover gasket and the oil was running down the back of the engine and getting burnt off by the heat of the exhaust so I never noticed the leak until it had a good going over by a Skoda dealership. It wasn't using that much oil but more than usual.

The only time I've put any in mine is when I first had it and I think I just topped it up to the top level, I've never put any in otherwise in 62k variable service.

Thanks for the responses. I will check for leaking at the next service. I suppose the under engine tray catches any drips.

It was on variable servicing but Grey Gables at Curbridge near Witney had decided all oil should be changed at 10,000 miles and screwed up the settings.

(Like they know more about it than VAG!!)

It was all reset again at Merrits with a download from Skoda head office ?? but the local indpendant guy who services it now then puts it back on 10,000

Can't win that one.

Peter

It's also possibly worth considering a move to using the VW504 (5w30) oils or go to fixed if you are not already as IIRC the oils for that are a bit thicker.

I'm on 10k intervals, and my local main dealer insists that their own 10w40 semi-synth is right. Given the price they charge for it I'm considering just taking some decent stuff in instead.

I'm on 10k intervals, and my local main dealer insists that their own 10w40 semi-synth is right. Given the price they charge for it I'm considering just taking some decent stuff in instead.

10W40 is right but I thought they still recommended fully synthetic?

I used to stick 5W30 Castrol Edge / Shell EXP in even though I was on fixed servicing but I've now swapped to Quantum Platinum which is 10W40 fully synthetic and cheap as chips, not that cost was a big consideration.

• 6 years later...

Quick Update on this topic

I took the car to have the Terraclean treatment several thousand miles ago.  

The result I did not expect was reduced oil consumption

This process presumably frees off gummed rings!!

PeterH

Mine's increased steadily with mileage, incrementally and what I would expect really.

Bought with 70k on the clock, she used about a litre between changes up to about 100,000 miles. I religiously change every 10,000 miles with a new genuine filter and Mobil 1 10w / 40.

Since then, it's been creeping up, and now with 170,000 miles she uses 4 litres between changes. So that's a litre every 2,500 miles, still acceptable in my book.

There's no evidence of it leaking anywhere and I never see smoke, either on start-up or whilst driving. So I imagine it's a case of worn rings and valve guide oil seals.

I'd imagine a light bore hone, new rings and oil seals would sort that out, but it's pointless on an engine with so many miles I guess.

You think that's a lot? I guess....and ok, compared to some other high mileage cars I've had, I suppose it is a bit more. Then again, what is it VAG say? A litre every 1,000 miles is acceptable? So I'm well away from that :D

Forgot to mention, it's possible turbo seals could also be past their best.

I'm a bit torn really. One the one hand I've had her for nearly six years now and she's been the best car I have ever owned, she's part of the family and I've always been happy to spend on servicing, preventative maintenance and repair to keep her fit.

On the other hand, you can't escape the fact that she's a 15 year old car with 170k on the clock, and showing her age too......so spending, what, a couple of grand on a short engine refresh and a recon turbo is probably a bit mad. I dunno. What would you do?

Same here.  I dont do a lot of miles and have been thinking of a newer car, but then I think...The engines done 101k and runs like a charm, uses no oil between servicing (I hear a lot of the more modern VAG engine with direct injection are problematic, valves gumming up, oil usage).  It has plenty of power still, looks decent and Ive just spent £300 getting a brand new Sanden aircon compressor fitted and regassed.

I think the old girl has a few more years left.  When I spend some time cleaning it, it sort of renews my faith in it.  If I sold it, its probably max a £1500 car!  Not sure what else I would get bar a newer Octavia, a Mk3 vRS remapped would be my choice probably.  Almost 300bhp :)

Ill wait til theyre under 10k in a couple of years and then make the jump I think.

You know what mate, I've been thinking exactly the same! I reckon I can get mine to 200k, which realistically will be a similar time frame to what you mentioned - and then go looking for sub 10 grand Mk. 3's.

Yours is worth a fortune compared to mine.....with my mileage and all-round condition, I reckon she'd be a sub-grand car.....possibly even 500 quid's worth.

But what an amazing all-rounder these are. I only paid £2,500 for her in 2010, she was one of the cheapest cars I've ever bought but head and shoulders one of the best.......in fact, nah, I'm gonna say THE best actually. And I've had some nice cars too, including a 911.

I think VAG / Skoda knocked it right out of the park when they built these! It's a shame we can't still buy a new one, because that's what I would do, no question!

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers to RLY for linking this thread to me. Mine seems to be leaking from the rocker cover and sump, the turbo also seems to end up caked in oily residue from time to time. Whats strange is that it doesnt smoke and doesnt smell like alot of cars do when its being pushede. Mines taken about 1litre in the last 5k.

Its reassuring to hear it isnt just mine that uses a bit. Especially considering what a ball ache it sounds to change turbo oil seals.