AUX Socket in the armrest.

Hi

Can any of you guys tell me what the part number is for the lead that goes from your MP3 player to the AUX socker under the armrest? Also when connected to an ipod can you select the next track using the stereo controls on the Stream MP3 unit?

Cheers

...though I've noticed that the sound volume is quite a bit lower than the radio/cd functions.

You can adjust the AUX volume through the Stream MP3 unit settings (3 different sound volume levels if I remember it right, by default the lowest one is selected).

I stuck my socket (Which looks the same as the one in your pictures, another Maplin job) in one of the button blanks over the front ashtray. The front of the blank was too thick for the lockring on the socket (And it has a curved surface, so it would have looked pretty rough with the lockring anyway, so it's epoxied into the back of the button blank and the end of the plug sits pretty much flush with the surface of the button - it looks surprisingly OEM. That location came in very handy as I was able to plug a friend's GPS (Which also plays MP3's but interrupts them automatically for traffic instructions) into the radio for a road trip using the same length wire as I use for connecting my phone/mp3 player from the centre box. Once the plug on the wire you connect to the car with has a 90 degree bend it doesn't get in the way of the gear lever either - 90 degree jack plugs are also available in Maplin.

Since my plug piggybacks on the CD changer line in as there's no separate Aux connection, I have to suffer the lower volume from the mp3 player too. I have to pretty much double the volume while I'm using the mp3 feed. Conveniently since you set the volume of traffic announcements separately anyway, and the radio has a turn-on volume rather than remembering where it was set originally, there's no fear of being deafened accidentally.

I've now got the Nexus MFD2 navigation unit in mine, and although I can find a menu for audio volume/nav volume etc, I can't find any reference to aux settings.

Am I looking in the right place, or are there none?

Sorry, no idea, never had an opportunity to fiddle with Nexus.

I've now got the Nexus MFD2 navigation unit in mine, and although I can find a menu for audio volume/nav volume etc, I can't find any reference to aux settings.

Am I looking in the right place, or are there none?

Thanks

Mike

I have this issue as well Mike and have checked my audio settings and can't find a pre-amp type of selection for the aux. The volume of the navigation lady is a bit much even on quietest with the aux!

I stuck my socket (Which looks the same as the one in your pictures, another Maplin job) in one of the button blanks over the front ashtray. The front of the blank was too thick for the lockring on the socket (And it has a curved surface, so it would have looked pretty rough with the lockring anyway, so it's epoxied into the back of the button blank and the end of the plug sits pretty much flush with the surface of the button - it looks surprisingly OEM. That location came in very handy as I was able to plug a friend's GPS (Which also plays MP3's but interrupts them automatically for traffic instructions) into the radio for a road trip using the same length wire as I use for connecting my phone/mp3 player from the centre box. Once the plug on the wire you connect to the car with has a 90 degree bend it doesn't get in the way of the gear lever either - 90 degree jack plugs are also available in Maplin.

Since my plug piggybacks on the CD changer line in as there's no separate Aux connection, I have to suffer the lower volume from the mp3 player too. I have to pretty much double the volume while I'm using the mp3 feed. Conveniently since you set the volume of traffic announcements separately anyway, and the radio has a turn-on volume rather than remembering where it was set originally, there's no fear of being deafened accidentally.

I have done a combination of these two methods and have the socket in a blank.

Yeah, that's the same one I've ordered from eBay.

Nice to know the sound quality and volume will improve over the 3.5 to 3.5 lead.

Had an email from the seller that the lead has been dispatched, will post the results on here. Now expecting a marked improvement from what I'm using now

Mike

I hope to have my lead too by the middle of next week. Will post a review.

Not bad for £2.99 inc P&P :o

Belkin do an iPod charger that plugs in the lighter socket and into the dock connector on the iPod. Nothing unusual there, but this one also has a 3.5mm socket on the lighter plug end that provides line-out, and there is a volume wheel to adjust the level of that line-out. It therefore neatly bypasses the iPod volume (which is also affecting overall volume if you just use the headphone socket) and also means you only need the one connection to the iPod to both play and charge.

I like them so much I bought 2 (one for each car), but the older ones I have don't work with the iPhone. Grrrrrr. I know you can get an adaptor for the iPhone/Touch to allow it to use older accessories, but that looks like a quick way to physically break the docking port to me with the leverage it adds against it.

HI. The sound on mine seems fine. It does need the volume turned up on the ipod for best results. I haven't noticed much difference between radio/ipod and have it set to level1. Not as good as the alpine i had in the old pug, but that was a dedicated unit. 7dayshop seemed a good price for the 3.5mm lead

Just installed an aux socket in mine whilst upgrading from the stream head unit.

My wife's '55 Octavia has the I assume standard (monochrome LCD screen) radio/CD/6 CD changer - the STREAM. Just to be sure I've got this clear - the connections for the Aux in are there, even though she doesn't have one on the dash/centre console?

If so, I foresee a quick bit of engineering in my future.

As an aside: the Octavia was a company car, and Anne's not the best at reading manuals or (occasionally) observation. It took her till sometime last year to realise the boxy thing in the boot was a CD changer!

Welcome to Briskoda! :)

Does yours show "Stream" or "Stream MP3" printed on the radio? If it's the Stream MP3, check out this video:

<== cool or what, dunno if it was made by some one on here! :cool:

A 55 plate - my guess is it's a Stream, not the Stream MP3. Even though the Stream (none MP3 version) has the menu for AUX - it doesn't work..

Yup, it's a Stream :(

However, my soon-to-arrive Roomster doesn't have a CD changer, and that's probably the car we'll use for long journeys. So I guess one plan would to swap her changer into my Roomster, and fit an Aux->CD adaptor into hers. What (roughly) would I expect to pay to get a dealer to do that?

Well, got around to connecting mine up today :)

Swapped the earth for the head unit, and soldered the MP3 leads for the flying plug :)

Works a treat :)

Belkin do an iPod charger that plugs in the lighter socket and into the dock connector on the iPod. Nothing unusual there, but this one also has a 3.5mm socket on the lighter plug end that provides line-out, and there is a volume wheel to adjust the level of that line-out. It therefore neatly bypasses the iPod volume (which is also affecting overall volume if you just use the headphone socket) and also means you only need the one connection to the iPod to both play and charge.

I like them so much I bought 2 (one for each car), but the older ones I have don't work with the iPhone. Grrrrrr. I know you can get an adaptor for the iPhone/Touch to allow it to use older accessories, but that looks like a quick way to physically break the docking port to me with the leverage it adds against it.

Just what I need, but I can't find it as described on the Belkin web site! Is it this one?..Belkin : Mobile Power Cord for iPod w/ Dock Connector