Shell Vpower + Millers Sport Diesel booster stuff = worth it??

Gti Fly

I've had my car (bought 2nd hand with 72,000miles) now for about a month/1200 miles.

In that time I've only filled up with Shell Vpower and also using Millers Sport Diesel (stuff, cetene booster from Halfords).

Is it worth bothering with the above - my car is a Fabia 1.9 TDI 100bhp

I want it to run and powerfully and efficiently as possible.

What are your thoughts guys?

You are probably going to get a few differing views on this one.

I have personaly found my car to run better on Shell diesel than any other brand. No idea why, but thats how it is. Better MPG, smoother acceleration, and quieter tick over.

That said, i don't get anywhere near as nice a drive with the 'Vpower' diesel. it just doesn't like it.

As for millers, i beleive its a good product and does work, but i use it with normal shell. I don't know if you would see much difference using it with Vpower diesel as its already meant to have higher Cetane levels, and burn cleaner as its a GTL (Gas to Liquid) fuel, so maybe give it a tank or two on just the diesel and look for any differences, or see how it runs on Normal shell with the additive. Might run just as well and save you a few pound at the same time.

Do a search on it, it has been discussed many times.

Some people say they can tell a difference, but this may be the 'placebo effect' . TBH I personally can't tell the difference but I use DSP4 and normal shell rather than VPD, it works out cheaper that way.

I have done approx 95k in my VRS. 90% of the time i fill up at my local BP.

I have tried Standard BP (approx 10k miles), BP Ultimate (30k), BP Ultimate + Millers (5k) and Standard BP + Millers (50k).

From a mpg/cost point of view Standard BP + Millers is the best compromise giving a 4-5% £ saving.

I also find the car smokes a lot less with the addition of Millers.

Ultimate on its own does improve economy, however, the improvement does not compensate for the additional cost of fuel. Adding Millers to Ultimate gives a slight improvement in mpg but again the fuel is too expensive.

If you search some of my posts i have posted full data previously. I now always use Millers with standard fuel.

From a performance point of view....who knows...

I think if you mix V Power and Millers is a bit pointless, but using one is good.

Another thought is that the different fuels will depend on your driving style. If you rant everywhere and want speed, then go for V Power, If you drive like a granny and want economy then stick with Supermarket cheep fuel. Millers I would guess is probably somewhere in between.

cheers for the feedback so far guys.

This is my first Diesel car, so I'm keen to learn how to get the best out of it.

I thought I'd run Vpower + Millers to get the engine nice and clean and hopefully running to optimal performance.

But if you guys are saying it's bit pointless to run both, then I'll just run one and see what happens.

I thought it best ask what you guys prefer using - cause with a range of 500miles per tank, it would take me quite some time to work out what works best from trial and error!

I just use the cheapest diesel from a pump and a dose of millers every 2 months

Same here about once a month , but reember keep a clean AirFilter , mine always improves with a clean filter so due to low cost i change regular even though my PD is on variable

Ok, tiny bit of an update.

Vpower + Double shot of Millers = 115mph + (GPS)

regular Shell Diesel + Double shot Millers = 100mph (gps)

Managed 500miles from 43litres of Vpower plus Millers.

Let's see what Regular Shell plus millers will do.

I wouldnt run V-Power and Millers as it is pointless. Cetane will be too high and you will get more unburnt black smoke.

I run Millers and it does make a small diffrence on MPG on short trips, but you have to run a few tanks for the ECU to notice the Cetane increase and the increased injector dispersal.

But it is worth noteing that in your handbook it does say to NEVER USE FULE ADDITIVES (it is in captaitals in my handbook lol) :)

My current stats:

BP 8040miles 45.5mpg Cost Saving 0%

BP ULTIMATE 34814miles 46.6mpg Cost Saving -0.8%

BP ULTIMATE + Millers 6645miles 47.6mpg Cost Saving 1.2%

BP + Millers 33187miles 47.6mpg Cost Saving 4.6%

I've used millers for nearly 40k miles with no issues, just improved economy and less smoke.

I wouldnt run V-Power and Millers as it is pointless. Cetane will be too high and you will get more unburnt black smoke.

I run Millers and it does make a small diffrence on MPG on short trips, but you have to run a few tanks for the ECU to notice the Cetane increase and the increased injector dispersal.

But it is worth noteing that in your handbook it does say to NEVER USE FULE ADDITIVES (it is in captaitals in my handbook lol) :)

Thanks for the reply,

I'm a bit skeptical on the 'few tanks' theory of ECUs learning to increase power.

If one tank of fuel lasts 500miles, some people could be waiting months and months before the ECU adapted. I just can't see how that is true.

On my Petrol Golf R32, you instantly feel a difference between Vpower and less fuels.

But the difference is only when you pass 5500rpm, which sort of confirms what I have so far experienced with Vpower Diesel - the extra power is only felt at the very top end of the rev range.

My current stats:

BP 8040miles 45.5mpg Cost Saving 0%

BP ULTIMATE 34814miles 46.6mpg Cost Saving -0.8%

BP ULTIMATE + Millers 6645miles 47.6mpg Cost Saving 1.2%

BP + Millers 33187miles 47.6mpg Cost Saving 4.6%

I've used millers for nearly 40k miles with no issues, just improved economy and less smoke.

Reasonably concrete data showing experiance with the products. If only all the posts were like this!