VRs? should i?

arosascotty

personally i wouldn't have a v tec given,aweful noisy engine,if you want a turbo engine buy one,don't buy a petrol pretending to have one,on the odd occasion you have to do any sort of milage it gets a little wearing.

V tec all the lag of a turbo none of the boost:(

Disappointing, Gary :P

I've just got shot of my vRS like, got myself a nice '98 Integra Type R now rocking a Spoon N1 exhaust, Toyo R888's (amazing tyres but scary in the wet!) among other things.

Tbh I thought i'd miss my Fabia a lot more than I do, in fact so far (only a month into owning the Type R, plenty of time to change minds i guess) I don't miss the vRS at all yet.

Sure the torque was fun, but after 2 years of driving it and getting left behind from Clio's Fiestas etc that "Push you into the back of your seat" feeling got tiring, in fact (I thought i'd never say this) driving a diesel got tiring :(

Anywhoo, if it factors into your equation, you can get an Integra Type R for about £4-6k now depending on mileage, sure they're noisy (No sound proofing) but by god is it a HOOT to drive :D Fantastic grip and when VTEC kicks in all hell breaks loose, and that 8,500 rev limit is intoxicating!

I'll agree with other peoples comments about nothing before VTEC though, you really have to rev it to get the power, but that's where the fun comes from it for me :)

So far managed a 6.2 0-60 and just over 14 sec 1/4 mile, taking her to Stockton in October too to see what she's REALLY capable of :D

Oh and Gary and Babs, you can't knock the ITR imo, hailed as one of the best FWD handling cars of all time, is a Piston Heads Hero member and also has unbelievable performance for a 1.8 NA engine! ;):D

Edit: Here's a couple pics of mine:

img0924vn.th.jpg

img0929hn.th.jpg

Edited by IainsTheName
Add pics

As I've said, I had similar aims (cheap, fun motoring), but I got bored and got a real car instead!

Do ya mean a real car in that you got a petrol and not a diesel? I don't consider diesels not "real cars" like, IMO they're just as fun as petrols some times, just different strokes n all that :D

just don't bump it even a little ian,a dc2 will be written off for even a small knock due to it being ally.the teg is a great car,but it needs a real engine in it rather than a pretend turbo lump,and lets be honest it yours hits 60 on the strip in the same time as my fabia,which will be lightyears behind my golf when its done

just don't bump it even a little ian,a dc2 will be written off for even a small knock due to it being ally.the teg is a great car,but it needs a real engine in it rather than a pretend turbo lump,and lets be honest it yours hits 60 on the strip in the same time as my fabia,which will be lightyears behind my golf when its done

Don't forget your Fabia wasn't exactly standard Gary :P You'd spent well over £10k on that thing to get it to where it was ;-) And i'm currently 15bhp down on power! Guess 146k miles will do that though lol :o

I'll gladly put my 'Teg (Albeit turbo'd) up against anything you do to your Golf Gary no bother :thumbup:

And about the whole revving issue, i'll have to come to the next Brisky track day :o It's quite comfortable cruising thanks to the Recaro's which are surprisingly comfy :D Bllomin' loud though....

Anywhoo, just wanted to defend the VTEC, as imo getting that kind of performance out of a 1.8 N/A engine HAS to make it good in my eyes :thumbup:

Edited by IainsTheName

well i've now brought the suzuki swift sport into the equation, it ticks the boxes i needed it too. sold my car so i'm testing driving the fabia and SSS this weekend.

maybe not as frugal as the vrs but insuarance is the same and i havent read a bad review about it.

The SSS is a cracking car imo :) I test drove one before I bought the vRS, lovely to look at imo, great spec levels and 17" alloys, if it wasn't for the lack of power (Or feeling of power, in the vRS's case ;)) i'd have bought it there and then, but that torque from the Furby just kept pulling me back and eventually went for the Fabia.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either car tbh, drive both and see which will be more fun :thumbup:

Don't forget your Fabia wasn't exactly standard Gary :P You'd spent well over £10k on that thing to get it to where it was ;-) And i'm currently 15bhp down on power! Guess 146k miles will do that though lol :o

I'll gladly put my 'Teg (Albeit turbo'd) up against anything you do to your Golf Gary no bother :thumbup:

And about the whole revving issue, i'll have to come to the next Brisky track day :o It's quite comfortable cruising thanks to the Recaro's which are surprisingly comfy :D Bllomin' loud though....

Anywhoo, just wanted to defend the VTEC, as imo getting that kind of performance out of a 1.8 N/A engine HAS to make it good in my eyes :thumbup:

you know when snoopie admits defeat and turbo's it to get it to go quick that its nowt but a fail engine:P my golf will eat your teg for breakie mate,under 1000kgs with 280bhp:D (in fact going off what i saw on track last time i could turn up in anything and beat you:P:P:P:P:P)

If myself and my wife could still afford to run our 2 type Rs we would but due to her being made redundant I have the VRS and she has a 1.4 Jazz. I had an EP3 and she had a DC5. The ep3 was a piece of pi55 on a daily commute. Meh about the torque, my daily commute was fine and on a friday afternoon the Fabia cant touch it for out and out speed on the country roads.

But saying that I love the Fabia, its cheap to run and still goes ok when I need it to although my commute seems busier these days and I am less inclined to put my foot down. I will be even more happier when Santa brings me some new wheels (standard ones) I just need to find a good set for the £200 they have been going for in the classifieds.

Also bear in mind with people trying to save money they are buying cheaper to run cars so I had to trade mine in where as the DC5 was easier to sell as its rare ish. Just somehting to think about if you are only keeping the likes of the Type R, Clio for a year. If it was my money I would go for the Fabia and enjoy the money on something other than the car and in a years time you dont have the hassel of trying to sell another car. Just my 2p worth :thumbup:

Get any of the petrols and just keep it. From the mileage you describe it wont cost you too much to run anway.

There is no point buying a car for a year and selling as you'll just lose money, so you might as well test drive all and pick the best for you and keep.

Type R or Cooper S for me though. SSS if it needs to be newer. Happy shopping.

you know when snoopie admits defeat and turbo's it to get it to go quick that its nowt but a fail engine:P my golf will eat your teg for breakie mate,under 1000kgs with 280bhp:D (in fact going off what i saw on track last time i could turn up in anything and beat you:P:P:P:P:P)

I guess I'm not gonna change ya mind about it Gary so I'll stop trying :p

and I'll not even try to argue that last point lmao! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

little bit of an update.

drove the swift and was on my way to glasgow this morning to drive one that i expected to buy. stopped of at the skoda garage on the way, drove the vrs, loved it, and then bought it lol.

its a 56 plate with 30k, full skoda service history, silver, and its immaculate. window price was 8k, i got him down too 7600 with a years tax and mot. was quite pleased. picking it up thursday!!

i'm going to go buy little things just now, i'll need a seat cover for when i'm at work, quite fancy new head light bulbs, i'll do a search and find out what you guys use.

if anyone can recommend anything else i'm happy to hear it.

thanks

scott