Fitting rear courtesy lights........

Just a thought:-

The semiconductors in the control unit are now carrying the additional current of the two rear lights (about 1A extra). Not knowing what the rating is of the control module I may still use FETs do the switching at the rear lamps (connected across the manual switch).

Anyone had any problem with the rating of the control unit when the rears are switched off the front lights? or perhaps other VAG cars use the same module with more lights attached?

I have four 5w independently switchable rear interior lights running off exactly the same front interior light in my 2001 fabia without any issues, but that is with 34mm festoon LEDs, and with the bulbs in the unit iteslf swapped for a 38mm festoon LED and two 501 type LEDs.

In fact I am also considering fitting a further four 5w (again with LEDs, but 501 type) footwell lights from the unit as well, so I hope the unit is up to it

HTH

• 8 months later...

right, ive sorted it. took the photos as i went a long. it was pretty easy actually.

you actually need 3 wires to run to the rear courtesy lights. one will be a permenant live, one is a permenant earth and the other is a switched running from the front interior lights.

abcd0002_thumb.jpg

in my elegance the permenant live and permenant earth were all ready there so all i had to do was run the switched earth from the front light to both rear lights.

the front interior light is negatively switched on where as the rear lights were positively switched. i.e the switch to turn them on is on the posititve feed. i started off by cutting the directional tabs off of the plug that went into the rear light so that it could be turned over so that the rear lights were then negatively switched.

abcd0001_thumb.jpg abcd0003_thumb.jpg abcd0005_thumb.jpg abcd0004_thumb.jpg

then i needed to attach the wire that runs from the front lights to the rear light fitting switch side of the bulb but before the switch it self. there for when the wire went to ground the light would come on. and then the local switch will still work as it has not been touched.

abcd0006_thumb.jpg abcd0007_thumb.jpg abcd0008_thumb.jpg

i then needed to attach the wire to the front light and with help of the picture further up this post, it was just as easy. when i tested them it worked a treat but i then found that when you switched the rear lights on, it would then illuminate the front lights at the same time, so i fitted a diode in its path to prevent this. job done. when the front lights are on the rears come on but when you switch the rears on, just the rears come on.

abcd0010_thumb.jpg

hope that helps some of you out.

the finished job.

abcd0001_244573_thumb.jpg

I cant get the pictures to work anymore :'( . Is it possible to upload the pictures again?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm new to Skoda (good move) and hence late to this thread but can someone help please. The part number shown in different threads for rear interior lights (1H0 947 291) is incorrect according to my local dealer. Can anyone update me please (given the choice I'd want black). Thanks

Apologies - I would like to remove this post but not sure how. Turns out dealer couldn't recognise number because it needs a suffix for the colour

Edited by poakers

• 1 month later...

Going to try this one tomorrow, quick question though. What is the easiest way of feeding the cable through? and did you run them in series (one from the main unit and then across the roof to the next one) or did you run them in parallel (both of the main hub)

What car did they come from?

And was there any issue with the depth of the light? Because I looked in the handles recess and it doesn't appear to be much space behind it?

Nuts! As I was trying to get the unit out I accidentally broke the clips off the dome light selector. Does anyone know the part number/how much they cost? I still havent managed to get out the unit itself. How is it actually pulled out?

I have the sunroof style dome light setup.

Going to try this one tomorrow, quick question though. What is the easiest way of feeding the cable through? and did you run them in series (one from the main unit and then across the roof to the next one) or did you run them in parallel (both of the main hub)

What car did they come from?

And was there any issue with the depth of the light? Because I looked in the handles recess and it doesn't appear to be much space behind it?

Hi Damian,

Easiest route is get a straightened coat hanger or similar attach 1st cable to it from the o/s rear(where light is to be installed) and poke it through to front, then repeat for n/s rear light.(run in parallel) Connect both wires together at the front then either solder direct to the board or use scotch connector to existing wire in loom.

Believe the rear lights are fitted to top range models like Ambiente but some can be seen in other models perhaps option extra in skoda laurin & klement.

There is no issue with the recess behind the handle as that is where they are fitted anyway. I cut out a bit of the roof lining of a Ambiente that had them fitted and used that as a stencil to mark the holes out in my roof lining. I used the metal rings from original Ambiente fittings to help click in the rear light more secure. Can show pics or help you if you are down my way again.

Also as the car was in the scrapy i cut back the wiring to the rear lights to be able to use the original plugs connected to the lights making rewiring easier. Think I have some of them spare also.

Nuts! As I was trying to get the unit out I accidentally broke the clips off the dome light selector. Does anyone know the part number/how much they cost? I still havent managed to get out the unit itself. How is it actually pulled out?

I have the sunroof style dome light setup.

I might have a spare one but not sure if the sunroof models are different. Most of the lights are clipped in but some have a screw hidden under the clear center light plastic cover. Nearly caught out with that before and pulling the light almost off.

If you have a sunroof, the light fitting should look like this:

P1020992.JPG

and the screws to remove it are circled in red:

P1020993.JPG

and then it sort of pulls out:

P1020996.JPG

You might find some other pictures of the central unit in my W8 mod images.

Cheers for that mbames, is that your page? Because if it is I don't understand the mod. How come you have the red LED's running off the light switch and I noticed both cables run into the same spade connection. How do you make a circuit when negative and positive are combined as one?

That is my page. Those two spade connectors were connected up to a power feed I ran up from the headlight switch. The idea is that the cabin gets a gentle red glow at night. You can buy a proper replacement unit, but I went for the el-cheapo solution :giggle:

As the LEDs required correct polarisation, I did one male and one female lucar connector, to ensure I got my +ve feed to the correct side of the LEDs.

Tried it today and pretty much failed.

First of all I ended up crossing wires and blowing the fuse

Secondly I couldn't get wires to solder to the connections

Then for some reason it kept sparking and messed up the light so now when I turn the light when I open the door and turn the key the key in the ingnition and back out quickly it flashes and some times the switch doesn't always work (managed to partially fix it)

Then I was testing the connection and I made it arch and set alight to my LED bulb.

What a palavour!

Least all the cables are in place now so when I get the light holders it will be good to go.

Slightly worried that it will catch alight again though.

Tried it today and pretty much failed.

First of all I ended up crossing wires and blowing the fuse

Secondly I couldn't get wires to solder to the connections

Then for some reason it kept sparking and messed up the light so now when I turn the light when I open the door and turn the key the key in the ingnition and back out quickly it flashes and some times the switch doesn't always work (managed to partially fix it)

Then I was testing the connection and I made it arch and set alight to my LED bulb.

What a palavour!

Least all the cables are in place now so when I get the light holders it will be good to go.

Slightly worried that it will catch alight again though.

It must be you week for problems buddy. :doh:

It must be you week for problems buddy. :doh:

Week? Make it my bloody month lol. Oh well I am use to this. I am an unfortunate, fortunate person. I get really nice things then the next week something goes bad with it.

Went to buy those rear courtesy lights today, VW said they wanted £15 per light!!!!! Couldn't believe it when he told me that.

Who is your local Dorset VW dealer? Might be worth a trip to the scrappy and seeing what VWs are there and willing to supply parts at a discounted rate...

• 3 weeks later...

Whoop! finally done this mod and it is probably one of the best mods I have done. It looks bloody fantastic!

Will post a pic tomorrow.

BTW, I managed to find 6 lights whilst looking so now I have four left over if anyone wants them

They all come from a seat leon with the the cages. Two are large lights with three options and the other two are just normal lights, quite small.

Both run of festoon bulbs.

Will post pictures. If interested PM me ( also have the cabeling for it)

• 1 year later...

right, ive sorted it. took the photos as i went a long. it was pretty easy actually.

you actually need 3 wires to run to the rear courtesy lights. one will be a permenant live, one is a permenant earth and the other is a switched running from the front interior lights.

abcd0002_thumb.jpg

in my elegance the permenant live and permenant earth were all ready there so all i had to do was run the switched earth from the front light to both rear lights.

the front interior light is negatively switched on where as the rear lights were positively switched. i.e the switch to turn them on is on the posititve feed. i started off by cutting the directional tabs off of the plug that went into the rear light so that it could be turned over so that the rear lights were then negatively switched.

abcd0001_thumb.jpg abcd0003_thumb.jpg abcd0005_thumb.jpg abcd0004_thumb.jpg

then i needed to attach the wire that runs from the front lights to the rear light fitting switch side of the bulb but before the switch it self. there for when the wire went to ground the light would come on. and then the local switch will still work as it has not been touched.

abcd0006_thumb.jpg abcd0007_thumb.jpg abcd0008_thumb.jpg

i then needed to attach the wire to the front light and with help of the picture further up this post, it was just as easy. when i tested them it worked a treat but i then found that when you switched the rear lights on, it would then illuminate the front lights at the same time, so i fitted a diode in its path to prevent this. job done. when the front lights are on the rears come on but when you switch the rears on, just the rears come on.

abcd0010_thumb.jpg

hope that helps some of you out.

the finished job.

abcd0001_244573_thumb.jpg

Can you please repost the photos? It would be very helpful! :happy:

Left over lights and wire harness if anyone wants it.

Probably long gone by now but if not, yes please :)

Regards, Mike