Its Time For A Service O S*@&

Ok my car is telling me it needs a service. This would be the first time ive ever had to get a car serviced. My first NEW CAR. And usually I dont keep cars long enough for them to be serviced. Now skoda charge £250 which seems alot seems that its only 3/4 of a proper engine. Is it worth sourcing a good independent. Or not at all? Just save the time and let skoda deal with it for the extra £££££. The car might not be with for to much longer as the call of the AURIS is strong ;).

Thoughts please chaps and chappesss :thumbup:

Ring a few dealers and see who can beat it, with a bit of haggling you should get it down a fair bit. By all means go independant, as long as they do the proper service and use genuine parts youre OK. If you trade it in for the Auris, your Toyota dealer wont care whos serviced it, they just ask if it has a service history.

Ring a few dealers and see who can beat it, with a bit of haggling you should get it down a fair bit. By all means go independant, as long as they do the proper service and use genuine parts youre OK. If you trade it in for the Auris, your Toyota dealer wont care whos serviced it, they just ask if it has a service history.

Thanks for the fast replys chaps. Can you haggle on a service charge :o I thought they were fixed. In your experince what would I be looking to get off. Now the Auris that would get full toyota service history ;)

Its not uncommon to get a 25% off a dealer service, you just have to be assertive:thumbup:

cheers chap I had no clue it was possible to haggle. 25% is better off something, than nothing at all.

Is there a time delay as well. Because not everyone has the luxuory of that much money laying about is like a month ok?

Id wait till you have the money, ring the dealers and get all the prices... then independants and challenge dealer to match it:thumbup: I got a service on a smart down from £280 to £160 and got an apology for asking for the higher amount in the first place!

Not tried it with a Skoda dealer as yet, but prices vary wildly... shop around.

£250 seems a great amount for a 1st service. I just had the first year service (58 plate) done on my Fabia 2 Estate at the Skoda dealer who supplied it. The cost was just over £100.

I also just had the 2nd year service done on my Fabia Hatch (57 plate) which lives in Spain at the moment. This was done by a major VAG dealer on the Costa Blanca and the cost was €130.

Is that the 10k/y1 service? If so then you need to check what it is they are planning to do as some Skoda dealers were trying to do a lot more than the specified service. £80-£100 seems to be about the price expected for the small service.

I paid £244 for a 40k service which is the "big" one so would check what you're getting for your money!

As someone said if it is going and only on a part ex take to a fixed price garage and when it comes to sale it will make no difference!

When I part exchanged a Merc the dealer never checked the mileage or the papaerwork and I had just spent £800 to get the service record up to date, a lesson learn't!

Mr Torqueischeap,

I think you may find your dealer will now only do the work Skoda recommend. Skoda UK has I believe been monitoring service charges since the matter was brought to their attention some while ago that some dealers were misunderstanding what actual work needed to be carried out at the first service. My 1.4TDI cost me just £79 two months ago for the full first service. They did everything that Skoda recommends. In fact I was quoted £86 but the price was discounted when I went to pick it up from the Skoda dealer here in Colchester. Basically, I would suggest you should be paying no more than £100.:thumbup:

First service (10,000miles) on my 1.9TDi was £105 from a Skoda authorised repairer (not a dealer), and not a million miles away from you. The service book says all it needs is an oil and filter change,brake pad check and resetting the service interval display.

If you're not careful they will also charge you for an inspection, but this isn't required until 20,000 miles.

I'm sorting out prices for the wife's fabia II estate and the prices vary enormously for a first service.

Cheapest so far is £99 for a engine oil/filter and inspection to £190 for just an oil/filter change!

I said to the guy, you want £190 just to change the oil/filter? "Yep" Not from me your not!

Mr Torqueischeap,

I think you may find your dealer will now only do the work Skoda recommend. Skoda UK has I believe been monitoring service charges since the matter was brought to their attention some while ago that some dealers were misunderstanding what actual work needed to be carried out at the first service. My 1.4TDI cost me just £79 two months ago for the full first service. They did everything that Skoda recommends. In fact I was quoted £86 but the price was discounted when I went to pick it up from the Skoda dealer here in Colchester. Basically, I would suggest you should be paying no more than £100.:thumbup:

Cheers chap it does seem that 250 is quiet a bit. When I took her in for a new handbrake cover. I asked the service manager, how much the monthly installments are. When I asked how much will the next service be. Had one when I baught it he said £249, I then asked what the follow on one would be he said £313 I asked why is it so much money he replied. "Its a big un!" hmmmm Cheers everyone for your replies most appreciated :thumbup:

When you say due a service are you on fixed or variable and how long have you got left on the count down?

If it says 1000 miles to service and you think you will do less than that before you get the new car, then you could just drive it until the new one turns up then pass it on to the dealer minus the service.

When you say due a service are you on fixed or variable and how long have you got left on the count down?

If it says 1000 miles to service and you think you will do less than that before you get the new car, then you could just drive it until the new one turns up then pass it on to the dealer minus the service.

Well last time i checker it said 2500k to next service. Then suddenly yesterday it came up with a beep and said INSPE (Spanner symbol!) Never done that before my dad told me on his old fabia that means. "Service me please you 7it :D"