Tyres

Herbie1

I have a Fabia 2 1.4 TDI and I need to replace the front tyres soon. The original tyres are Bridgestones Turanza 195/55/15, I have only done 12,000 so I think tyre wear is excessive or it this usual for these tyres, rear tyres are about half worn so should do 20,000. My last car Fabia 1.4 petrol did 25,000 on Michelin Eco. I was thinking of buying Continental Contact 2 next, I have read that they are better on the Fabia than Bridgestones, esp. ride and tramlining. Regarding tramlining I thought this was down to the low profile tyres, but I hired a Polo 1.4 TDI and the ride/handling was fine so I was surprised that it had 195/55/15 tyres on it, they were Dunlops by the way.

Herbie,

Before you buy tyres check out this website. Tyre reviews, tests and ratings at tyre reviews - the online tyre guide

My brother has a Fabia 1.9tdi estate, he gets about 20000 from a set of fronts and 40000 from the rears, most of his driving is motorways. At the moment he has Firestone TZ200's fitted and they are wearing very well, I also have them on my Hyundai and find them excellent.

Cheers

Think I got about 20,000 from the original fronts before they needed to be replaced. Second set have got about 20,000 on them and are about at the limit. Rear set still got 4mm left on them (40,000) so a bit of life left there. No idea what make though sorry!

I have just looked at the Which? report and I think I will go for the Uniroyal Rally 550 at £66 each, Yokohama C Drive are £62. My Bridgestones come out well in the report but that does not seem to consider wear and price. Also in Tyrereviews users feedback is not good for Bridgestones but Uniroyal are very good, so are Yokohama. One point in the Which? report I noticed was the difference between different sizes for the same make of tyre, which makes it difficult to compare. They do not test 195/55 15 tyres which are unusual size and expensive.

I have just looked at the Which? report and I think I will go for the Uniroyal Rally 550 at £66 each, Yokohama C Drive are £62. My Bridgestones come out well in the report but that does not seem to consider wear and price. Also in Tyrereviews users feedback is not good for Bridgestones but Uniroyal are very good, so are Yokohama. One point in the Which? report I noticed was the difference between different sizes for the same make of tyre, which makes it difficult to compare. They do not test 195/55 15 tyres which are unusual size and expensive.

one thing most reviews don't seem to test the amount of noise. I know the Mich energy were rubbish. I'd like to know which tyres are quieter with decent price/grip/tracking/wear

The Uniroyals Rallye 550 seem to be fairly quiet from what I have read. The Which report does rate noise but most tyres are 3 or 4 stars so little between them but I suppose the harder the rubber the more noise but more mpg, less wear, less grip. From reviews Ive seen the Uniroyals or Yokohamas seem the best mid price tyres.

• 2 months later...

I have a Fabia 2 1.4 TDI and I need to replace the front tyres soon. The original tyres are Bridgestones Turanza 195/55/15, I have only done 12,000 so I think tyre wear is excessive or it this usual for these tyres, rear tyres are about half worn so should do 20,000. My last car Fabia 1.4 petrol did 25,000 on Michelin Eco. I was thinking of buying Continental Contact 2 next, I have read that they are better on the Fabia than Bridgestones, esp. ride and tramlining. Regarding tramlining I thought this was down to the low profile tyres, but I hired a Polo 1.4 TDI and the ride/handling was fine so I was surprised that it had 195/55/15 tyres on it, they were Dunlops by the way.

I have the same tyres and have done 24k, im tempted to get the same if availbale.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at new tyres for my 1.4 tdi. My tyres are H rated but looking at the tyreshoppers website, for some reason I can get V rated tyres for less. If I replace my tyre with the same as the originals (Bridgestone ER300) it is £13 less per tyre. Can I use V rated tyres without problems?

Also I can get Yokohama C drives for £14 less or S drives at the same price would these be better than the Bridgestones?

Edited by ekeir