Anyone into Airsoft / BB guns?

g00ner

The lad's let it slip he would appreciate one for Xmas, wondered if anyone on here had any experience re their power and safety factors etc?

He's 11 and sensible, but I've seen stories of air rifles causing serious injuries. I believe the Airsoft type are low powered and are made so as not to be mistaken for a real weapon but any experience would be appreciated

Cheers

The airsoft type are still quite realistic looking! I have had many different types over the years and the airsoft are the weakest with regards to power/safety. They fire plastic bb's but are also used for firing small darts if required. They are still more than capable of breaking the skin if fired at close range and of course can cause serious damage to areas like the eyes etc.... if fired in that direction.

TBH I would advise caution here if your lad is only eleven. You could have some really good fun with him firing at paper targets, cans on a wall etc.... but I would advise you to only let him use it (if you do buy one) under your strict adult supervision. You'd never forgive yourself if he blinded himself or someone else (god forbid!) by accident.

:thumbup:

My son got a BB Gun for Christmas last year at age 11 (with our approval) and has had a lot of fun with it. We laid down a few strict rules regarding it's use when he got it and he's been great whilst still having fun and if your boy can be trusted like you say then I'd say go for it.

If you do buy one get a bag of 20g BB's which are heavier than the the ones that are supplied with BB guns as they are more accurate hurt more when I use it to get him to go to bed ;)

We made a target box out of an old cardboard box and a few targets we printed off, that and a few beer cans on an old workbench keeps 'em amused for a few hours :thumbup:

I've seen first hand in Canada how an eye hit by a flat-headed pellet looks.

You wouldn't believe what a mess it makes of the delicate insides of an eye. Not fixeable at all. The case (a little boy) I saw had to have the eye removed, and the pathology slide showed a tangle of retina and vitreous gel surrounding the outline of a .177 wadcutter pellet.

Just as long as you have strict rules followed, including the use of safety glasses and there is adult supervision, it's good fun.

When little kids start to play "war games" then it has a habit of going pear-shaped pdq....

my 2p...

Bas

Minimum age to purchase a BB guns is 18 years. An adult must supervise person 14 to 18 years of age. No gun should be carried in a public place unless in transit when it shoul dbe unloaded and placed in a bag. Guns must not be concealed on ones person, or pointed in a bad. Guns must not be concealed on one's person, or pointed or fired at another human or animal. Safety glasses and other protective clothing should also be worn when operating or viewing the firing.

From 01/10/2007 the laws regarding airsoft guns have changed for the UK. Under the VCRA Bill 2006 it is illegal to buy or sell an airsoft gun to anyone under the age of 18 years. Under Section 36 of the V.C.R Act it is a criminal offence to alter the appearance or paint in a colour of an imitation firearm to make it into a realistic firearm.

Sporry to be another killjoy -but if it saves pain ,then it's worth it . Many many years ago I was in the ATC .Certainly taught us a thing or two about gun safety .Might suggest that even though it's possibly a low powered rifle/pistol ,you look for some sort of training/advice on firearm safety .

I play Airsoft every weekend.... and yes the guns can do damage, even the two-tone ones that can be used by under 18s (they are usually same as the proper ver but with two tone paint)

might be worth gettin hold of a cheap spring-loaded bb gun and see how that goes... not airsoft per-se, but much cheaper and less dangerous. airsoft guns fire around 350fps

Oh and Zero... ive got one of those and yes they do ;)

Thanks for the opinions all :)

Like I said, he's a good lad but accidents can happen and I couldn't guarantee to be there supervising every minute of the day. I couldn't put right any serious damage or live with myself either if the worst happened - 'specially as his little brother has no common whatsoever

Have to go back to thinking what else I can get him - determined not to get another game console that keeps him indoors all day ;)

Thanks for the opinions all :)

Have to go back to thinking what else I can get him - determined not to get another game console that keeps him indoors all day ;)

Perhaps getting him down to some gun club to play ( aka get trained on gun safety ) might be as good a present to go with an air rifle etc .Lets not spoil the idea of hm having one - lets just teach him SAFETY .And from that angle -where better .

I'm not against a teenager having an air rifle - but dead against one having one that has had no training .It's dead easy to fire off at cans on garden , but what happensif they miss and some kid is out of sight ,but still in range and worst still in line of fire .

I play Airsoft every weekend.... and yes the guns can do damage, even the two-tone ones that can be used by under 18s (they are usually same as the proper ver but with two tone paint)

might be worth gettin hold of a cheap spring-loaded bb gun and see how that goes... not airsoft per-se, but much cheaper and less dangerous. airsoft guns fire around 350fps

Oh and Zero... ive got one of those and yes they do ;)

Where do you play and how much does it cost?

There's a few interesting sites by me including a disused nuclear bunker that I'd love to have a go at.

Is there any reason why somebody would want an airsoft Desert Eagle? Or any imitation firearm? Having a BB or air rifle for shooting rabbits and the like in a rural setting is one thing, having an replica 9mm or simmilar is a whole different ball game! Ive had the unsettling pleasure of having a replica firearm shoved in my face when i worked on the door of the Rock Garden in Glasgow :( In the process of disarming him he suffered a broken nose, jaw and arm!! That was the least of his worries as the armed police turned up sealed off the street and made the arrest.

K:)

To play Airsoft?

Sorry i just dont get it!!! What kind of fun do you get running around a field with an airsoft Desert Eagle pretending to kill someone with it!! Join up and go and do it for real!! Since i had one shoved in my face i dont think theres any need for imitation firearms.....Sorry just my view.

K:)

• 9 months later...

I have an Airsoft one (which I once shot my older brother in the ankle with after he bet me £5 I couldn't hit him from the other side of my bedroom) and have used it for shooting tin cans in my back garden although a couple of my mates have them and so we have had friendly fights.

Don't get gas ones: very high powered IIRC. Both sorts great fun if used sensibly.

Dave