Help Please Private Reg on new car?

Hello all.

Whilst awaiting my new vRS I have bought myself a personal reg from the DVLA.

Included in the purchase price was the £80 initial transfer fee.

Does anyone know if I give this paperwork to my dealer to put the reg on my new car if I will no longer need to pay them the "initial registration fee" for the car??

I ask this as from experience I can rely on information gained from this forum as opposed to that gained from my dealership.

Many Thanks in advance!

I have never been charged for a transfer and since you have already paid the DVLA and the first reg fee is included in the "on the road price" then the dealer should just fill in the appropriate form and that should be the end of it.

I have never been charged for a transfer and since you have already paid the DVLA and the first reg fee is included in the "on the road price" then the dealer should just fill in the appropriate form and that should be the end of it.

I am going to try and stop the dealer charging me for the initial reg fee as I have already paid an £80 reg fee.....

Possibly the initial reg fee has been itemised in your invoice but it is actually incorporated in your agreed price for the car. Everyone has to pay it , but as I wrote previously it is incorporated in the on the road price.

Your private plate transfer is a totally different thing.

I just gave my PP paperwork (from the DVLA) to the dealer and he did the nescessary - I also supplied the plates which made it easy for him, and they were cheaper than he was doing to charge, he also said they were better quality than his supplier - got them off the internet

I just gave my PP paperwork (from the DVLA) to the dealer and he did the nescessary - I also supplied the plates which made it easy for him, and they were cheaper than he was doing to charge, he also said they were better quality than his supplier - got them off the internet

But are they the legal ones or show plates?

You can buy show plates which look very similar to legal ones, but they are actually illegal to use.

You can buy show plates which look very similar to legal ones, but they are actually illegal to use.

Indeed, most of the plates bought of the net are illegal as they dont have the makers name, and the BS number in the bottom left.

The "initial registration fee" has nothing to do with the plate assigned to the car, its the fee the DVLA charge the dealer to register the VIN number against a registration number of the car, and all the paperwork involved in getting a V5 to you. The only difference in the process is that he is using your own reg number rather than one he has from his "pool" of plates. The £80 transfer fee, is the fee charged by the DVLA for transfering the plate from the piece of paper to the car, and is additional to the "initial registration fee".

I've got to pay the £80 transfer fee in a couple of weeks time when the plate comes off my Golf & goes to the Octavia, which I think is a bit of a swizz considering that there will be no new number plate as such for the Octavia, it'll be my plate from the moment I have it until at least the middle of next year when I might decide to have a different one.

Hello all.

Whilst awaiting my new vRS I have bought myself a personal reg from the DVLA.

Included in the purchase price was the £80 initial transfer fee.

Does anyone know if I give this paperwork to my dealer to put the reg on my new car if I will no longer need to pay them the "initial registration fee" for the car??

I ask this as from experience I can rely on information gained from this forum as opposed to that gained from my dealership.

Many Thanks in advance!

The initial registration fee is payable to the DVLA for any new car regardless of what number goes on it.

The fee you have paid for the transfer of your cherished number is a different fee.

As with my last new car, I just give the dealer the retention certificate for my number and he registers it from new with that number. Do not let them 'first' register the car with a 59 plate as it will take weeks for the second number (your cherished number) to catch up in the DVLA's bureaucracy trail.

I have already decided to get my number off my current car and the DVLA have now issued me with a normal 06 number and a retention certificate for my cherished number.

It costs £25 more this way but means I do not have a delay if I sell my car privately

I guess that the dealers in Scotland are a bit more generous with their deals. I have had a private plate for many years and it is always transfered (with new plates) in the deal.

Also it is a good haggling item!!

I've got to pay the £80 transfer fee in a couple of weeks time when the plate comes off my Golf & goes to the Octavia, which I think is a bit of a swizz considering that there will be no new number plate as such for the Octavia, it'll be my plate from the moment I have it until at least the middle of next year when I might decide to have a different one.

Dont the DVLA allocate a plate for the car at 1st registration for when yours is transfered onwards to yet another car and hold this until that time by default anymore? :confused:

When my dad bought a car it came with a private plate from the prev owner which had been on the car since new, and he was waiting for the transfer to go through so he could get the original plate back and the plate owner his plate for his new car.

IIRC from when ownership transferred to me, the V5 showed plate issue & 1st reg and private transfer on the same date and detailed the 1st reg plate issue. Dad then got this number back and had plates made.

This was about 12-15 years ago though....

Dont the DVLA allocate a plate for the car at 1st registration for when yours is transfered onwards to yet another car and hold this until that time by default anymore? :confused:

This was about 12-15 years ago though....

No. If you/dealer register your new car with your cherished number, no normal (say 59 Plate)is assigned to the car. This only happens when you take your number off with a retention. My 2006 Focus ST has just had a new 06 number given to it

No. If you/dealer register your new car with your cherished number, no normal (say 59 Plate)is assigned to the car. This only happens when you take your number off with a retention. My 2006 Focus ST has just had a new 06 number given to it

Perhaps this changed years ago then?

You can register your new car with your personalised number right from the beginning. When you go to sell it , you pay for a transfer, stick your cherished number on your next car and the DVLA issues an age related number for your old car. (and charges a fee for doing so). On buying an unused number from the DVLA you have paid the transfer fee regardless of whether it is going on a new car or a second hand car.

If you already own a car and it has i.e a 59 plate then when you buy from DVLA your transfer is paid and all it will cost you is the making up of a pair of number plates. Which, costs a dealer very little. Where it can get costly is when you buy a number from a dealer who advertises in car mags or such like, who quote a price, then add vat, and you usually have to pay the transfer fee on the top!!

The moral of G.K.s last post is, if you want a cherished reg then check the DVLA first as it will be cheaper in the long run as all the costs are included unlike the plates from newreg etc.