What Are The Various Dots

Octygone

I wonder how many dots Jason would have if he was not a mod. How many dots is 30K+ posts. :wonder:

I have just noticed you can now see everyone reputation beside their name, like the thank you system :) . It would be also nice if you could find out where your reputation came from in your profile good and bad. I know I got 4 in one post, I don't know where the other two came from. I would be nice to see what car everybody drives as well, but i notice on some forums (like SCN) it is not shown either. You have click on their user profile to find out. I can't seem to find how you change your car profile when you buy a new one?

I was thinking about the rep system earlier. It is possible to see where your rep came from through the use of a plugin, but i have to say i am not keen on the idea and here is my reason why.

With the old thanks system, you either got nothing or a positive feedback in the form of a thanks. In this new system, people can give positive and negative feedback. My concern with seeing where you rep came from is you would know exactly who has given you bad rep, that could result in bad feelings towards that person and end up with people falling out. I think with it being anonymous people will give rep points honestly and accurately without the fear they will offend someone. Surely just having a positive reputation is enough to give you a warm fuzzy feeling inside?

Alex, surely the plugin could be modified to show where positive rep came from but not negative? ;)

Is that you offering? :p

Wont be for a little while yet anyway, we want to keep this install as vanilla as possible until we find out what causing these recent issues.

What the f*cks that all about ? :wonder:

I honestly can't remember the source, but it's a quote (I think fairly archaic, since I'd associate it with the American Suffragette movement in the 1920s), with about the same meaning as "let he who is without sin cast the first stone", which if you remember your Bible resulted in the crowd melting away "like snow off a dyke" as they realised that everyone has done something wrong.

I honestly can't remember the source, but it's a quote (I think fairly archaic, since I'd associate it with the American Suffragette movement in the 1920s), with about the same meaning as "let he who is without sin cast the first stone", which if you remember your Bible resulted in the crowd melting away "like snow off a dyke" as they realised that everyone has done something wrong.

Actually far more archaic... Matthew 7:3, King James's Bible :)

I don’t mind the dots. They were good enough for the peeps in Star Trek (the new version). I think I am Commander of the Galaxy or something now :)

I do wonder about the negative possibility of the reputation system though. Is it possible to be ‘bullied’ by receiving negative ‘clicks’ and the perpetrator to not be found? I imagine the uber mods could find out if you were concerned though?

I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable with the "Reputation" bit. The old "Thanks" button was, for me, most of all exactly what it was described as: "Thank you for this useful post". Admittedly it could also be used as a way of saying "I agree", but IMHO most people often used it to express graditude for help with solving a problem.

"Reputation" is (for me, again) something different that has do do with an overall impression of another Briskodian. Do we really want that kind of evaluation?

Of course there's some kind of relation between the old "Thanks" and reputation - if a member that received a lot of thanks and also generously bestowed thanks to others it gave a good impression. But there's also a difference.

EDIT: After reading Lady E's post (that appeared after I started on this one) I agree that the risk for abuse can't be neglected.

Edited by swedishskoda

Well deserved IMHO emoticon-0137-clapping.gif I hope she'll be back posting soon

I agree (although the numbers seem a little odd).

At least it seems she is well and will return to Brisky the future. Perhaps the site will settle down once she comes back, it might be just missing her emoticon-0142-happy.gif

How does a person move up from 'neutral' is it a certain amount of + clicks on the reputation or just depending on how high up the management you are?

What's the reputation show if you get a few negative clicks then? Brisky Bum? emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Yes, care needs to be taken so that a person who may have a strong opinion of a certain topic doesn't just get, as you say Lady E, bullied by other members and to have a system where an investigation by the mods can distinguish weather it's a genuine problem with an individual or a member just being nasty (not that we are on here of course, but sometimes there are some heated debates).

Just my 2P's worth.

Ben

• Like 1

How does a person move up from 'neutral' is it a certain amount of + clicks on the reputation or just depending on how high up the management you are?

What's the reputation show if you get a few negative clicks then? Brisky Bum? emoticon-0136-giggle.gif

Yes, care needs to be taken so that a person who may have a strong opinion of a certain topic doesn't just get, as you say Lady E, bullied by other members and to have a system where an investigation by the mods can distinguish weather it's a genuine problem with an individual or a member just being nasty (not that we are on here of course, but sometimes there are some heated debates).

Just my 2P's worth.

Ben

I could see an event were somebody might say ‘I support the BNP’ and although they are entitled to their views and no doubt would get shot down in flames, they would no doubt end up with a bright red rectangle of ’shame’ on all of their postings. It is a bit like being branded emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

• Like 2

I could see an event were somebody might say ‘I support the BNP’ and although they are entitled to their views and no doubt would get shot down in flames, they would no doubt end up with a bright red rectangle of ’shame’ on all of their postings. It is a bit like being branded emoticon-0101-sadsmile.gif

Well I am not doing well then , as I think I am only on one

So does that mean someone can keep clicking the minus button and I am here posting with a minus reputation?

That is not good in my game? LOL

Sarah

Well I am not doing well then , as I think I am only on one

So does that mean someone can keep clicking the minus button and I am here posting with a minus reputation?

That is not good in my game? LOL

Sarah

Nobody would ever give you a negative click Sarah :)

What happens if the abuse comes from a Mod!! I think I am becoming paranoid. emoticon-0124-worried.gif:D

It seems as if someone up there likes you since you've risen from 3rd to 5th grade during the afternoon...:clap:

...while I seem to be stuck in 4th :wall:

Edited by swedishskoda

What happens if the abuse comes from a Mod!! I think I am becoming paranoid. emoticon-0124-worried.gif:D

Then we FIGHT! :D

It seems as if someone up there likes you since you've risen from 3rd to 5th grade during the afternoon...:clap:

...while I seem to be stuck in 4th :wall:

You've got 5 dots?

It seems as if someone up there likes you since you've risen from 3rd to 5th grade during the afternoon...emoticon-0137-clapping.gif

...while I seem to be stuck in 4th emoticon-0179-headbang.gif

I think I know who might have given me at lest one of those emoticon-0105-wink.gif

I am not sure whether the numbers matter much though, as we all know who the peeps are who help out a lot on here. Especially the Skoda techs and the IT bods. I would like to thank George Clooney for helping me get through the day, but he doesn’t post on here :(

Edited by Lady Elanore