Yeti in the SNOW

Allams Skoda

As I am in Germany for January and February I recently had winter tyres fitted to my Superb.

Having spent several hours in Basingstoke yesterday I now know their value. On one steep gradient a Range Rover Sport (presumably on normal tyres) failed to get to the top. My two wheel drive Superb sailed up with no problem at all. The Vredestein Wintrac Extreme tyres make driving on snow and ice an enjoyable challenge not an arduous task. After two hours negotiating abandoned cars in Basingstoke I made it to a rather slushy M3 and back to Somerset.

I just got back from a trip to Hamburg to see friends / family, I have got the same tyres fitted to a set of steelies on my Mk1 Superb, brilliant tyres, they make all the difference. They really munch through the snow. I saw a similar sort of thing happen with a brit registered porsche toureg :) trying to get up the steep ramp out of the hotel underground car park back in Hamburg. He had to wait until the hotel staff finished clearing the ramp and my heavy old 2.5v6 tdi just romped up it :)

Money well spent......

• Like 1

I hadn't noticed this when I first posted the picture...

748083981_gAoM9-L.jpg

Mark

Mark that is very clever. I have it now as my desktop - but it's a little fuzzy. any chance of a high definition version?

Edited by Agerbundsen

Mark that is very clever. I have it now as my desktop - but it's a little fuzzy. any chance of a high definition version?

I can claim no credit for it, a friend of ours spotted the picture on Facebook and provided the modified version. I'll ask him!

If your friend modified it then perhaps he could do the same with other pictures. A little like Terrance Cornio or what ever his name is, the guy who painted Steam Engines and always had a little mice hidden on the painting.

Terrence CUNEO.

I'm looking at one of his pictures as I sit here in my signal box, with freezing cold feet!!

I was taliking to my brother-in-law in Switzerland lunchtime on Skype, and brought up about winter tyres. Over there they have to fit them by law after November(??) and he said that hardly anyone now uses chains unless they are likely to be using forestry tracks.

Well the snow is clearing after a fairly rapid temperature change late last night.

Anyway better late than never my Monster is now 'cool running' on winters :)

Rim's: Steel 7J x 16 VAG

Tyres: Nokian WR G2 205/55 R16 94H XL (from mytyres; ordered Monday arrived first thing this morning from Germany)

4210327981_7990e06477.jpg

4211093788_d3d0959843.jpg

Will post a review once I have done more running on them probably later next week.

TP

Well the snow is clearing after a fairly rapid temperature change late last night.

Anyway better late than never my Monster is now 'cool running' on winters :)

Rim's: Steel 7J x 16 VAG

Tyres: Nokian WR G2 205/55 R16 94H XL (from mytyres; ordered Monday arrived first thing this morning from Germany)

4210327981_7990e06477.jpg

4211093788_d3d0959843.jpg

Will post a review once I have done more running on them probably later next week.

TP

Hi Plumber....very smart. I am still swithering whether to switch to winter tyres. So far, I have been OK with my snow monster performing well in the snow and ice.......famous last words! I hope you and all other forum members have a very happy Christmas. (by the way, love the plane pictures on another thread).

Fancy wheels for steels, would never have known. All the way from Germany, do they not have them in stock in GB? Excellent , I look forward to your comments. Have you tried them out around your neighborhood?

Hi Anthony,

mytyres is part of Delticom which I believe is a German Company, so I can only assume their stock is held there.

The hubcaps are 'Rif' design as fitted to the Yeti 'E', decided that it would look better for day to day use with covers than the bare steel rim's.

Only had change to drive it back from the fitting station in town about 4-5 miles, understandably there's a little more tyre noise although she appears to corner better and grip seems good considering there 'green' tyres. Tried pushing her a bit on the back lane into the village which is covered in fairly deep slush and ice, did get her to slide a little but so much more sure footed than on the Goodyear Excellence.

TP

Hi Plumber....very smart. I am still swithering whether to switch to winter tyres. So far, I have been OK with my snow monster performing well in the snow and ice.......famous last words! I hope you and all other forum members have a very happy Christmas. (by the way, love the plane pictures on another thread).

Thanks Yonderend,

yes have a very happy Christmas and New Year to all.

Best wishes,

TP

:)

Cannot believe how good my Yeti is in snow, especially with the standard tyres. Applied the off-road button the other night when trying to get home along a hilly, snowy road. Several cars were abandoned but the Yeti sailed on half way up the hill when I had to turn back because a snow plough had skidded and blocked the road! Got this extremely capable vehicle just in time for the Scottish winter.

Cannot believe how good my Yeti is in snow, especially with the standard tyres. Applied the off-road button the other night when trying to get home along a hilly, snowy road. Several cars were abandoned but the Yeti sailed on half way up the hill when I had to turn back because a snow plough had skidded and blocked the road! Got this extremely capable vehicle just in time for the Scottish winter.

Hi finebone,

difference with yours though is you have 16" rims with H rated tyres as standard, which will provide much better grip than the daft 17" with 'W' rated autobahn munchers. Like I have said before wish SUK had left the 16" on the SE as with it's European counterpart, then I probably could have managed as I did with the Golf 4motion and Octavia 4x4T before that :S

Best wishes,

TP

I love my Winter tyres (Vredestien Snotracs), but they are not just good in snow. They excel in slush and standing water as well as being relatively good on sheet ice. If you want to drive like you stole it, they are not for you, but if you want a tyre with more grip in Winter conditions, they are peerless (Winter tyres that is, not necessarily the Vredesteins).

I choose LingLong Hero Winter M+S tyres. 225/45 17" V XL. Total coast for four tyres fitted balanced, old tyre disposal, valve and VAT £236.

Wow they performed flawlessly during the heavy snows last week. 115mm on driveway was no problem for my 2wd Golf. Was quite easy to keep up with those 4x4s esp the 'tit's' using summer tyres thinking they were king of the road at that time....

Lucky for me have spare set of alloys. So when the Yeti arrives for next winter I'll be able to use then as a straight swap.

With the Yeti having loads of wheel arch clearance snow chains will be the next option to add, as and when required.

Just a quick update on the winter tyres as I took the Monster + family for a run out.

Grip on cold wet roads very good, coped well with reasonably deep standing water plus the potholes that are now everywhere. Also had no problem with the completely frozen snow and slush down our street, there being none of the sliding off ridge peaks I got with the summers.

The strange thing is I actually think 16" wheels suit the Yeti in terms of handling and ride comfort over the 17"; whether it's the winters or wheel size but she defiantly turns into a corner better.

The only negative is the tyre noise which can get noticeable on the 'bodge & botch with tar & chippings' road surface repairs we have round here.

TP

16/12 2009

Tested Yeti 140 TDI 4x4 i snow -14C

I liked it.

18/12 2009

Ordered a Skoda Yeti Experience TDI 170 4x4 Candywhite

snowyeti.jpg

Thanks for the photo, first I have seen with the 'Flash' 6J x 17 winter rims; actually look great, shame they are not a factory option either.

As I am discovering Yeti + winters great combination albeit I need the radio on :)

TP