T.I.P worth it yes or no?

gmaster

16 members have voted

1. 1. Tip worth it yes or no?

• Yes get one some gains to be had.
    • Save your money no point.

Been thinking for a while about getting a turbo intake pipe, something like forge etc. I have revo stage 1 so would i gain anything from a tip? Getting mixed reviews about them and would like to know what the general thought is before i buy one. Thanks.

Guest westallc

well worth it..... removes another restriction so is worth it imo

wont give you any extra power but faster spool and better throttle response.

good luck

Personally I'd do it properly and get a real replacement metal pipe like mannyo mentioned.

Neuspeed do one too: http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=3705&xSec=294

Also, a pipe is rigid, a hose is flexible (my inner anal engineer coming out there!!). All these silicone "TIP's" that people talk about aren't TIP's. The item in my link is a TIP, the silicone jobbers are TIH's. Sorry, bit of an old man rant there!! Drives me mad at work when people think they're the same thing.

The problem with the silicon ones is the way that are attached to the Turbo. The metal ones are bolted into place using the OEM fixing position, typically the silicon hoses are held in place by nothing more than a giant P clip, and these have been known to detach themselves from the turbo.

I have a forge one for my k04 and used a Norma clip for it. It's been there for more than 6 months and hasn't come off yet. Also, it's pretty rigid, WAY more so than the stock one and, of course, less than a metal one. The benefit of a silicone vs a metal one is that you can still bend it *a little bit*, whereas the metal one you can't. In my case this was worth it since I had to reroute all kinds of things to make it fit and also had to force-bend it a bit for the airbox end to fit on the maf.

As for performance benefits...well I felt none over the stock one...and the stock one was really a k03s one, forced onto the k04 and the bigger maf (which lead to its splitting, hence the change).

Edited by jmf

Thanks for the replys and votes, unsure what to go for still but leaning towards a ABD metal one, need to sort a few other things first though before i buy one.

Based on my own experience with an ABD tip on my vrs, I'd say do yourself a favour and forget it.

My car lost far too much bottom end torque to justify any (ABD) claims of increased bhp.

I spent weeks swapping back and forth between the std tip and the ABD tip, in the end the std tip stayed on because the car was just not as much fun with the ABD tip on.

With the std tip on, my car has so much bottom end torque it easily spins the wheels on dry roads in 1st and 2nd, but with the ABD tip on I dont think I would have ever seen the ASR light on again !!!

Mine now sits in the top of my tool box as a reminder not to waste money on mods that dont work...... but if you do decide to fit one, also get a new "O" ring for the turbo inlet.

Based on my own experience with an ABD tip on my vrs, I'd say do yourself a favour and forget it.

My car lost far too much bottom end torque to justify any (ABD) claims of increased bhp.

I spent weeks swapping back and forth between the std tip and the ABD tip, in the end the std tip stayed on because the car was just not as much fun with the ABD tip on.

With the std tip on, my car has so much bottom end torque it easily spins the wheels on dry roads in 1st and 2nd, but with the ABD tip on I dont think I would have ever seen the ASR light on again !!!

Mine now sits in the top of my tool box as a reminder not to waste money on mods that dont work...... but if you do decide to fit one, also get a new "O" ring for the turbo inlet.

Really? was that on a standard car? now im confused, may put this on the back burner for a while..........

Really? was that on a standard car? now im confused, may put this on the back burner for a while..........

My car is not std.

IMO the problem with the ABD tip is due to several factors, as follows....

The 90 degree bend is moved closer to the turbo compressor compared to OEM.

The turbo inlet tube pertrudes to far into the tip's 90 degree bend resulting in disruption/restriction of the air flow on the inner radius of the bend.

Also the increase in internal dia of the ABD tip may be reducing the velocity of the air intake to the turbo compressor.

HTH.