My Fabia is suffering in the ice and snow!

Gumby

Along with my previous thread about the windscreens taking ages to defrost, it seems that my windscreen wash has now frozen. Either that (it was -4 this morning) or i've managed to use it all up, but this is something the dealer should have checked before they sold it to me right? Also on that note, it seems my coolant is below the minimum level, again surely this is something the dealer should have checked? It's only been about a month since I got it, so I could've had used that much already.

I'll be going in tomorrow and ask them to check it over.

Also, can anyone reccomend a good cover that will fit the fabia? I was looking at this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Water-Resistant-Breathable-Medium-storage/dp/B002O37N10/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1261326200&sr=8-3

Cheers.

its not the screenwash thats frozen, it will be moisture in the jets and its common at the current low temperatures. Once the temp gets close to zero they should start working again as if by magic. I remember a previous car, constantly having to stop and smear the screen with snow to clear the salt from the screen.

Yup, I'd avoid using the jets until your car warms up a bit mate otherwise you'll either blow a fuse or in the case of the rear one make it pop off at one of the joins!

Oh and for info, if you're low on screenwash you'll get a beep and a dash light (not sure if all cars have this, but vrs's definitely do!). I seem to see it a couple of times a month atm!

Edited by Confused_Cheese

Yup, I'd avoid using the jets until your car warms up a bit mate otherwise you'll either blow a fuse or in the case of the rear one make it pop off at one of the joins!

Oh and for info, if you're low on screenwash you'll get a beep and a dash light (not sure if all cars have this, but vrs's definitely do!). I seem to see it a couple of times a month atm!

Hmmm, I was still unable to use them even when the engine was at the working temp.

Hmmm, I was still unable to use them even when the engine was at the working temp.

topped my up with neat vw/skoda screen wash which is good for -70 deg C supposedly, either-way it hadn't froze this morning, two days before with normal screen wash on a warmer morning and had no jets

Sorry to mislead, just as the coolant is up to temp doesn't mean that the jets would have unfrozen. Some days it takes 30 mins for them to unfreeze!

The genuine screen wash does help, using it 50/50 atm and most the time it only takes 10 mins for them to work again. I'm sure neat they'd be okay, although both your wallet and your eyes will take a bit of a kicking lol

Just bought another 4 bottles of the stuff

Sorry to mislead, just as the coolant is up to temp doesn't mean that the jets would have unfrozen. Some days it takes 30 mins for them to unfreeze!

The genuine screen wash does help, using it 50/50 atm and most the time it only takes 10 mins for them to work again. I'm sure neat they'd be okay, although both your wallet and your eyes will take a bit of a kicking lol

Just bought another 4 bottles of the stuff

I thought most of the recent Fabias had heated jets on the windscreen washers,up here in Scotland the temperatures are usually well down in the winter.

However my 57 plate Fabia 1.9td Elegance has heated jets and heated mirrors, I think the fuel filter is heated as well. Pity it doesn't have a heated front windscreen

the same as my 1996 AutoSleeper Motorhome based on LWB Ford Transit 2.5 TD, spose you can't have everything!

Best regards Snobbie45 (Brian) :):)

Even heated jets don't always work.

I remember a previous car, constantly having to stop and smear the screen with snow to clear the salt from the screen.

I've had to resort to a can of de-icer out of the window.

I too filled my tank up without water, just screenwash a couple of weeks ago in preperation of the cold spell. I just give the nozzles a splash of de-icer and dont use them until a couple of miles down the road and they work fine.

I too filled my tank up without water, just screenwash a couple of weeks ago in preperation of the cold spell. I just give the nozzles a splash of de-icer and dont use them until a couple of miles down the road and they work fine.

Tried that earlier. I also tried again when the temp was above 0, but again, still no luck.

I must have run out of screenwash completely.

Edited by Gumby

Mine haven't worked for the last 2 days, got some neat screen wash in there now and seems to do the trick. Still not to worry now, not going to use her until 4th Jan, finished until then and can run the wife's company car about for 2 weeks emoticon-0136-giggle.gif. Hope the weather aint so bad then!

:( Now it won't start. Arrrgh!

Battery light won't go out and eventually Oil light comes on and beeps.

I've called Skoda Assistance and not only was the woman seemingly unable to understand the phonetic alphabet but they won't be here for 3 hours.

It was fine yesterday when I topped up the coolant with water (on the instructions of my local dealer).

Update: Fixed now. They sent local firm and the bloke said the engine was flooded and battery was near flat becuase it's been sitting around for a week. He got her started and told me to leave running for 20 mins and keep revving the engine to charge the battery back up.

:D

Edited by Gumby