1.8TSI DSG vs 2.0TDI DSG

enochb

Hi Everyone!

I'm a new member and looking to purchase either a 2.0TDI DSG or a 1.8TSI DSG Superb II Elegance.

This may have been covered before somewhere on the forum, but I would be interested in the opinions of owners of both regarding the engines, economy, smoothness of drive etc..

Thanks for your help

Enochb

hi

not sure about the 1.8Tsi as i haven't driven it...but i do have the cr170dsg. I have always preferred petrol engines, and have come from an Octy Vrs but plumped for a diesel with my Superb. I have to say that it is impressively refined and quiet for a diesel and there is also lots of power on tap if needed. The dsg gearbox does suit this engine and makes for very comfortable driving. I know the 1.8Tsi is supposed to be an excellent engine but you will probably have to bear in mind its resale value when you come to sell it as most people prefer diesels in this sector of the market. The official mpg is around 46/47 for my car, but i do most of my driving on motorways where because of the slowish speed of the traffic i usually get 53-54mpg, but i do find that being a diesel it is very dependent on how you drive it.....this will come down into the 40's if driven at 70-80mph or around town. You sometimes have to remind yourself you are driving a diesel!

In financial terms, it depends on your annual mileage as to whether the extra cost of the diesel is worth it. About 15,000 is the usual cut-off point. But you may prefer the extra torque of the diesel, and the 500-600 mile range between fill-ups.

I echo the comment about about the CR 170 diesel - mine's in an Octavia vRS estate and it's a great engine.

In financial terms, it depends on your annual mileage as to whether the extra cost of the diesel is worth it. About 15,000 is the usual cut-off point. But you may prefer the extra torque of the diesel, and the 500-600 mile range between fill-ups.

I echo the comments above about the CR 170 diesel - mine's in an Octavia vRS estate and it's a great engine.

Sorry - to correct a typo the 'editor' decided to repeat the whole post. I hate computers!

Edited by Zdenek Fibich

I echo the comments above about the CR 170 diesel - mine's in an Octavia vRS estate and it's a great engine.

I'd just echo the above comments - having run my vRS for just over a year and just under 12k miles. Engine is smooth as silk, you really have to convince yourself that you are in a diesel. Economy regularly between 45 and 50 mpg in general running with occasional uses of the power on tap. I'd have never entertained having an automatic before, but after test driving a Passat DSG a while ago I've always hankered after one. Unless it caused me serious problems I'd likely have it again in the future.

I have TSI1.8 DSG7, it is a amazingly quite and powerful engine. The transimission is perfect. I had 8.8 l/100 km combined consumption with 18' summer tires. Now my car spends average 7.2 l/100km with 16' winter tires. I believe I made an excellent choice getting 7 gears DSG transmission.

Driven both, own a Elegance1.8TSi DSG, Company car a SE 140PD manual, If it is a personal car and you are not doing more than 12,000 miles then go for the Tsi (you get the 7 speed DSG) my concern was the "gutless nature of petrol engines after diesel" but trust me the TSi has a lot of grunt low down and faster of the mark,both are excellent cars and the CR170 is also very refined and you would get a better trade in but with the initial outlay being more you would proably brake even in the end if you kept it 3 years.

Driven both, own a Elegance1.8TSi DSG, Company car a SE 140PD manual, If it is a personal car and you are not doing more than 12,000 miles then go for the Tsi (you get the 7 speed DSG) my concern was the "gutless nature of petrol engines after diesel" but trust me the TSi has a lot of grunt low down and faster of the mark,both are excellent cars and the CR170 is also very refined and you would get a better trade in but with the initial outlay being more you would proably brake even in the end if you kept it 3 years.

If you look on the Skoda site you will see the petrol engine is only about 3 mpg less than the diesel urban, if you do long trips I'd say do diesel, but if it's general hack petrol will probably balance it, and remember, petrol = no DPF.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the 1.8 TSI DSG Combi facelift. have done around 13k miles and no problems so far. The engine is excellent. More than enough power, very refined, extremely quiet. DSG is just brilliant. Provides a fast and relaxing driving experience.

As you know the diesel vs petrol decision comes down to your milleages. If you do many of them in a year it is wiser to get a diesel if not then petrol is a no brainer. Since i was too marginal in my annual milleages I had the dillema: 1.8 DSG combi or 2.0 diesel Manual combi. I went for the petrol and i am still as happy as when i bought it. With the extra money i saved on petrol i went for some extras.

Hi Everyone!

I'm a new member and looking to purchase either a 2.0TDI DSG or a 1.8TSI DSG Superb II Elegance.

This may have been covered before somewhere on the forum, but I would be interested in the opinions of owners of both regarding the engines, economy, smoothness of drive etc..

Thanks for your help

Enochb

Not an easy decision, I think if you do high mileage the diesel is probably worth going for. When I bought my superb I faced the same

decision but I do limited miles and I went for the petrol. It really is quiet you can hardly hear it when you first start up. On the road the 7 speed

DSG works really well and is not underpowered which was one of my concerns.

I am really happy with mine and it has performed faultlessly since I got it. If you have a few sovereigns left to spend I would suggest investing

in the Heated front screen is really worth while (especially given the current weather). The other investment I made was in a Novus Piccolo,

the sat nav in the superb is great if you have a full address but the postcode nav is crap and only goes down to the first 4 characters which is

pretty poor in this day and age. The SATNAV also does not allow you to put speed camera alerts on unless you have a PHD in complicated

computing.

The Piccolo is about the size of a £2 coin and I got the dealer to hardwire mine in to the ignition, it comes with free updates for life and assists

in avoiding charitable donations to HMG and points for the licence. I really reccomend it and it is only about £50.

Whichever model you select I will be very surprised if you dont enjoy it!

Modorator