Columbus And iPhone 3Gs

Hi,

I have seen some other threads on the original iPhone and the 3G version not working with the Columbus head unit, but will the iPhone 3Gs work with the Columbus?

I am mulling over a trade in and the new car would have the Columbus unit but the bluetooth phone connectivity is extremely important to me.

Thanks,

Anthony.....

You need more than just the Columbus, you'll need the Bluetooth option as well. Not sure what car you're ordering but this may mean DSG only.

No iPhone models are currently compatible anyway as you need RSAP enabled phones to work with the new Bluetooth systems.

Had a quick look at the specs and it would appear that the Yeti system is the older GSMII that provides Bluetooth connection but still relies on the phone for aerial etc where as the Octavia and New Superb use the GSMIII system. This disables the phone and uses an aerial integrated to the car which gives better reception etc.

So GSMII system iPhones will work but GSMIII does require RSAP so no iPhone.

Edited by nokiauk

Hi,

I have the Superb II Elegance 170 CR Tdi with the Bolero touchscreen radio with full bluetooth connectivity to my existing iPhone 3Gs. I have previously used the iPhone 3G successfully in this car with the Bolero radio. I am being tempted by the dealer to trade in for the same model (170HP) with the Columbus sat nav system installed. Will the iPhone work with the Columbus e.g., phonebook download, full bluetooth connectivity?

Thanks,

Anthony.....

If it works with the Bolero it will work with a columbus as the Bluetooth is a seperate module to the Sat-Nav unit.

If it's any help i tried my iPhone 3G in a new superb with columbus and it worked perfectly. I now have a 3Gs but haven't tried it.

Carl :thumbup:

Had a quick look at the specs and it would appear that the Yeti system is the older GSMII that provides Bluetooth connection but still relies on the phone for aerial etc where as the Octavia and New Superb use the GSMIII system. This disables the phone and uses an aerial integrated to the car which gives better reception etc.

So GSMII system iPhones will work but GSMIII does require RSAP so no iPhone.

Thanks for the info on the GSMII and GSMIII differences! As mentioned, I tried a friend's iPhone3GS in my Yeti (latest talking Columbus with Bluetooth) and it all worked okay including accessing the address book etc. Based on that I'll be going for an iPhone 3GS at the end of January when it's upgrade time.

• 2 weeks later...

If it works with the Bolero it will work with a columbus as the Bluetooth is a seperate module to the Sat-Nav unit.

If it's any help i tried my iPhone 3G in a new superb with columbus and it worked perfectly. I now have a 3Gs but haven't tried it.

Carl :thumbup:

I had a Superb test drive for a week and tried 3 different phones;

Blackberry Pearl 8120 - Didn't work

Nokia 6021 - Worked perfectly

iPhone 3G - Didn't work

All the googling I could muster tells me that the iPhone 2G/3G and 3Gs do not support RSAP and so cannot connect to the premium GSM III. I understand the bluetooth unit is separate to the Columbus head unit (lives under a seat).

Did the Superb you connected an iPhone to havea GSM II unit by any chance?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Was at my dealer today for a look at an Superb Elegance with Columbus head unit.

I successfully connected my iPhone 3Gs to the Columbus and was able to do the following:-

- Download phonebook to the unit

- Make and receive calls

- Use all other features that I have in my 09 Superb.

One less obstacle in the way to upgrading.

Anthony.....

Hi Anthony,

I've got so say that I'm quite sceptical about the iPhone (any version) working correctly with a Superb Elegance.

All the information I've got from Skoda indicates that the UK Elegance is only supplied with an rSAP bluetooth module (GSMIII as Skoda call it). It would be possible to get a Superb with the GSMII bluetooth if the dealer knew what the option code was, but this would definitely not be standard UK spec.

Do you mind telling us which dealer this was, and what registration the car was that you tried? Even better would be if you could get the build week, as I'm not ruling out the possibility that Skoda might have done the intelligent thing and equipped new GSMIII bluetooth modules with the handsfree profile for those phones that don't do rSAP.

That's the only thing I can think of that would account for your iPhone working.

Incidentally, I finally got an update from Apple about rSAP support after logging a bug about 2 years ago. Apparently, they are now looking at rSAP as a possible feature for iPhoneOS 4.x, which has got to be a good thing.

Cheers,

Bagpuss.

Hi All,

Was at my dealer today for a look at an Superb Elegance with Columbus head unit.

I successfully connected my iPhone 3Gs to the Columbus and was able to do the following:-

- Download phonebook to the unit

- Make and receive calls

- Use all other features that I have in my 09 Superb.

One less obstacle in the way to upgrading.

Anthony.....

Hi,

The dealer was Tarrants in Banteer, Cork ROI. I havent a clue as to the exact details of the car other then it was an Elegance Tdi with a DSG box. The car was not sold or registered so I guess it will be a late 09 or very early 10 model.

Sorry I cant be of any more help.

Anthony.....

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the clarification. Sounds like Skoda in ROI have made the sensible choice, and opted for GSMII bluetooth across the whole range.

Whilst I still think that the rSAP stuff is much better technically, you just can't ignore the poor phone compatibility. I wish Skoda UK would offer GSMII as an option, as I'm sure lots of people would take it.

Cheers,

Bagpuss.

Hi,

The dealer was Tarrants in Banteer, Cork ROI. I havent a clue as to the exact details of the car other then it was an Elegance Tdi with a DSG box. The car was not sold or registered so I guess it will be a late 09 or very early 10 model.

Sorry I cant be of any more help.

Anthony.....

Hi Anthony,

From reading another thread here, it sounds like Skoda might have introduced a new bluetooth module that does both HFP (for phones like the iPhone) and rSAP. It's possible that the car you test drove has such a module, which is why the iPhone worked okay. It would be interesting to see if something like a Nokia E71 works in rSAP mode in that car.

Might be worth clarifying with the dealer before you sign on the dotted line.

Bagpuss.

Hi,

I hope you are right as I am strongly leaning towards a trade in. I would hate to have tested my phone on the only GSMII unit in the country!! :S

Anthony.....

• 5 months later...

Sorry guys, am a little lost.

Can someone answer me in a simple words:

Got a new skoda superb elegance with touchscreen, and I have an iPhone 3GS with os4, is there anyway to make it work? Ofcourse am having a msg on the screen thatthe phone is not compatible, is there any updater something to make it work??

Am really sorry but I didn't get any of he technical stuff you said.

Thanks in advance

iPhone 2g, 3g, 3gs or 4 Wont work - need to change Bluetooth unit in car. No software update etc will work at present.

Ok, any type recommended? One a skoda dealer can import and install??

Thanks a lot

• 1 year later...

HI All, I have a 2011 Skoda Superb 170 cr and my iphone 4 connects to the Columbus radio system with no problems. It have full phonebook access but appears no to support other features like SMS messaging.

Ok, any type recommended? One a skoda dealer can import and install??

Thanks a lot

HI All, I have a 2011 Skoda Superb 170 cr and my iphone 4 connects to the Columbus radio system with no problems. It have full phonebook access but appears no to support other features like SMS messaging.

SMS only supported with an rSAP based connection

- iPhone does not support rSAP

2011 Superb's came with rSAP and HFP Bluetooth module

- ANY iPhone can connect to a 2011 superb

2010 and before came with rSAP only

- Module can be changed to new(er)

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys,

i really dont get all these technical terms..

i have a 2010 Supurb 1.8T with touch screen. and my iphone 3GS with iOS5 is not working, is there an update for the car system i can get from the dealer to make it work? and should it work with the 4S??

bottom line, is there anyway to make it work??

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Basically it doesnt matter whether you have a Bolero or a Columbus, the GSMIII module has an older and a newer version, the older version will not with HFP type Bluetooth phones, i.e. iPhone, the newer version will work with all mobile phones with suitable bluetooth, but those that are HFP will not be able to download text messages.

Whem I ordered my Octavia earlier this year I was really worried about the bluetooth and it not working with my iPhone but it has come with the correct module and works perfectly.

I believe the changeover date was some time very early this year or late last year, so if you are buying used the it woudl be best to test yoru phone, if it doesnt work then perhaps ask the dealer to change the module to the newer one that accepts both protocols and use that in the deal negotiations maybe?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have superb elegance purchased from new May 2010. I just bought Iphone 4S and it will not pair with my columbus system. I phoned Iphone and they confirm that they do not support RSAP. I note all the posts regarding this topic and wonder if anyone knows if there is up to date information on this subject (January 2012). Is there anything I can do to get my Iphone connected? (I am guessing that I don't have HFP protocol).

Please help? or I will have to take my phone back to Apple.

Thanks