Towing experience

Helgestahill

• 1 month later...

HI there,

No towing experiance yet I'm afraid. I've just had a detachable towbar fitted today, but probably won't actually be towing until next month. However, when I do have our first trip out I'll be sure to post a note straight after.

towbar.jpg

One of the reasons for me to by a Yeti was to tow our caravan.

Any towing experience on the forum?

sorry, written in swenglish

I tow a 1400 kg lunar caravan with my 170 4x4 yeti and find it very stable ,my previous outfit was a 1200 kg caravan with an octavia l&k 1.9tdi 130bhp although that was a very good outfit ,I have found that the yeti is a better towing vehicle not just because of the extra power,because I think that is cancelled out by the heavier caravan.The yeti feels more stable especially when being passed by large vehicles.

I'd be surprised if a 4WD Yeti wasnt better than a 2WD Octavia, try a comparison between 4WD versions of both vehicles. The Yeti has softer springs with longer travel to deal with more offroading, and even with a shorter overhang I suspect it will be more prone to pitching than the 4WD Octavia which squats very firmly on the road with a 75kg load on the hook. Caravan Club gave high marks for the Octavia whereas the report on the Yeti was slightly lukewarm.

The Caravan Club seem to have issues with Yeti. Their 2 reviews do not seem to retain their normal level of objectivity.:dull:

Yeti might be an off road vehicle but UK caravans generally are not.!! For off -road a specifically strengthened caravan chassis can be ordered before manufacture or aftermarket strengthening done. :)

My towbar is being fitted next week so will do a report after first "slow" tow in April

I'd be surprised if a 4WD Yeti wasnt better than a 2WD Octavia, try a comparison between 4WD versions of both vehicles. The Yeti has softer springs with longer travel to deal with more offroading, and even with a shorter overhang I suspect it will be more prone to pitching than the 4WD Octavia which squats very firmly on the road with a 75kg load on the hook. Caravan Club gave high marks for the Octavia whereas the report on the Yeti was slightly lukewarm.

I think you will find that the Yeti does not have softer springs because it is an off road car. In general Off Road vehicles have firm suspension, which allows more controlled long travel movement.

I think you will find that the Yeti does not have softer springs because it is an off road car. In general Off Road vehicles have firm suspension, which allows more controlled long travel movement.

I agree Graham, I was going to say something earlier. The Yeti has poor rear end articulation as well when compared to something like the Landrover Freelander. In off road terms it would be described as "stiff".

When I measured the height at the center of the towing ball, I found it empty, was 49 cm above the ground.

According to the standard it should be 35 to 42 at load. See link below ->Ball

Westfalia-Automotive

I think the 49 cm seems quite high.

Some experience/problem?

kulhojd.jpg

Edited by Helgestahill

When I measured the height at the center of the towing ball, I found it empty, was 49 cm above the ground.

Westfalia-Automotive

Some experience/problem?

kulhojd.jpg

"35 to 42 at load"

So try putting the maximum noseweight on it and then measure it.

tom

"35 to 42 at load"

So try putting the maximum noseweight on it and then measure it.

tom

Have not tried with my caravan (90 cm snow) but my bodyweight is 75kg.

When I stand on the towball the hight is 48 cm above ground.

I measured a Tiguan at the dealer

Approx. 5 cm lower than the Yeti (44 cm)

My Octavia is 42 cm no load. 39cm with caravan

I´m a little bit concerned if the caravan will level

swenglish as usual

Edited by Helgestahill

Westfalia-Automotive

Some experience/problem?

kulhojd.jpg

I could be shot down in flames here as I don't know much about towing, nose weights etc, but if the vehicle is empty with no passengers, luggage, awnings, full tank of fuel, etc, etc and the caravan is also not at its normal touring load (acceptable noseweight) then you won't achieve the prospective standard height but you should be pretty close to it when ready to push off on your hols, or am I talking rubbish?

Getting into physics a bit here, but your 75kg directly on the ball is not the same as a 75kg load onto the ball, it all comes down to "moments" of force.

I would also take into account that currently your car is new so the suspension probably hasn't settled yet. Don't laugh, it does happen.