highland summer drive date set 27th -30th august

dazjenks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could well be available to join in the fray with my vrs whatever the month - keep me in the loop! Cheers :)

Applecross Pass is an awesome drive - did it Northbound with two friends in my grossly overloaded Felicia. By the time we reached Applecross itself, I'd lost a brake pad and was experiencing near catastrophic fading! Apologies if it was you who was coming uphill and saw me swerve offroad around you in a flash of red - I think your face said it all... :o:giggle: Had to limp almost 300 miles home with some enthusiastic engine braking! :S Cracking views from the pass on a nice day (if you are able to stop and admire them that is)!

• 3 weeks later...

Good route! However, your are missing out on two absolute gems - The road to the Isles from Fort William to Mallaig (past the Glenfinnan/Harry Potter viaduct), accross the ferry to Skye (you can do a complete loop in about 3 hours allowing for stops. Then back accross the Skye bridge following the road up through Glen Shiel to rejoin the A82 near the western end of Loch Ness.

Just my two penneth.

I do the run from Warrington to Skye and back about 15 times a year (going up 3 times in May alone!) and never tire of the scenery. Don't forget the midge hood at that time of the year if you get out of the car, fierce little creatures and hungry too.

If I'm up around the dates, I'll hook up for a mini meet.

Jon.

Great place to stay north of Inverness is at Rogart Station -They used to have a B & B in the old waiting room BUT they do have trains converted in the sidings to back pack self catering rooms / bunks plus they used to have old romany caravans to sleep in as well- Highly Recommend :thumbup: ...something a bit different!

http://www.sleeperzzz.com/

A bike tour going on later this year are using it as well- see their comments below:

UKHTA Tour of Scotland 2010: PERTH MEET SAT PM 5TH JUNE. Jan 17, '10 6:39 AM

by Tim for everyone

UKHTA Tour of Scotland 2010: PERTH MEET SAT PM 5TH JUNE.

SUNDAY 6th June, travel to and check into, and set up the Tour base camp at "SleeperZZZ.com" Rogart Station Self Catering accommodation (170 Miles). (5 nights at £14 pounds per night per person)

Monday 7th to Thursday 10th go out on Day tours as arranged by John Rice and other rider's requests.

The general plan this year is to have a base camp in the Highlands (Rogart) and go out for day trips each day completely different tours. The main advantages do not have to ride with the bikes overloaded with one week's baggage. Not having to pack and UN pack every night after a full days riding, before chilling out and enjoying the evening. Reducing costs, 5 nights at Rogart probably will save each person about £100 compared to B&B.

Friday 11th June pack up base camp and head back to Perth. This is 170 Miles and 3 hours on a CX 650 Turbo.

This plan is still just a plan we are open to ideas re all aspects at this early stage. For the members who live a long way from Scotland like myself (500 Miles south of Perth) we really do need Saturday 12th & and Sunday to get home and sorted out for work on Monday.

BASE CAMP INFO: http://www.sleeperzzz.com/directions.php

Sleeperzzz is at Rogart Station in the centre of the crofting village of Rogart. Rogart is on the East coast of Sutherland, 55 miles (82 km) north of Inverness. Rogart is 4 miles from the A9 trunk road, on the A839 between The Mound and Lairg.

The address is: Rogart Station, Sutherland, Scotland, IV28 3XA

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...