highland summer drive date set 27th -30th august

dazjenks

I have been looking to do this drive for a few years now but never had a car thats good on fuel until now . I dont know the exact mileage for the trip but i think its approximatel 943 miles. Will obviously stop off at various campsites on the route but not sure which ones yet. Probably looking to do this trip over 3 days starting from edinburgh then past glasgow up the A82 all the way past loch ness into inverness then around the left hand side of the highlands applecross B) etc. then back down the past john o' Groats and train etc back into inverness then down the A9 back to edinburgh :)

Im looking to do this at somepoint in july- sep time.

Here are a few pics of the route i plan to take .

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/dazjenks21/114_5090.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/dazjenks21/114_5091.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/dazjenks21/114_5089.jpg

If anyone would like to come along let me know.

Edited by dazjenks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I would be up for it from Inverness round the top. Just let me know when it is. Maybe we could arrange a wee meet up at Tesco's in Inverness or something??

sounds good B) i have been around some of this route with my work and there are alot of passing places but no real prob as the roads are quite even in the summer :thumbup: . as for campsites i did see alot when we were driven but i cant remember were about on the route they were :S So if anyone knows of any good campsites from inverness up let use know :thumbup:

Edited by dazjenks

did that north loop in 2008 - awesome roads, best i've driven!

make sure you extend it with any little loops of unclassified roads following the coast as much as you can.

Really want to do it again!

Would love to have a go at this but not sure what plans are in July as yet, will speak to the girlfriend for two reasons

1. she may wish to go abroad at this time &

2. camping is not really her thing so will have to persuade her or see if we can find some B&B's along the route.

I may have to go this one alone :)

Would love to do this run. The roads from Inverness upwards and then round to the west coast are immense.

Some roads can be quite dangerous though and must be taken carefully (like the Berrydale Breas on the way up towards Wick from the Black Isle).

:thumbup:

Nice route - however I would maybe suggest avoiding the A9 as its boring! Go from Perth the Blairgowrie - then upto Braemar on the A939 - then over from Ballatar to Granton on Spey near Aviemore. That road is amazing! Right through Glan Shee and over the other side is awesome!

Love the Road from Inverness to Ullapool - that is a true drivers road!

I use to do - Perth - Braemar - Aviemore - Ullapool - Perth twice a week in a delivery van. Was told to take my time over doin ght eroute over the first few runs. And that the van had a 53mph limiter so I wouldnt be able to speed on the route. However the limiter only worked when you had it in 5th - 4th was much more fun! ;)

i drove upto ullapool one day, i think the round trip covered 500 miles in itself, went up past glencoe. infact was very close to your planned route but never went further north.

great drive and would love to do it again, not sure about the camping aspect tho so will keep an eye on this thread and see how it goes.

Edited by KTP

i was thinking for day one drive from edinburgh up to contin campsite 18mile north of inverness stay over night. Then day two drive to wick and stay in wick over night campsite again. Then day 3 drive down the A9 to aviemore stay over then head home on day 4 how does that sound?? i dont know if someone could trace the route and see how many miles this going to be great :thumbup:

Edited by dazjenks

i have just traced the route and its 850ish miles wee bit more than the 500 i thought it was going to be :D:D

You could go to the Ring and back via the Newcastle Ferry in less miles !!

But bonny Scotland is much closer, a tour round the highlands would not be complete without a visit to the Isle of Skye, roads to die for and not a sole to be seen. Also the drive up to Applecross via the Bealach-na-ba (pass of the cattle) a stunning drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick question. Has a month been decided that you might go in?

no month set yet i was waiting to see if anyone wanted come along . What month was best for them as it wont be a prob for me on any of the months :thumbup: what do you think of the route and campsites ?? we can change them if need be i just done a quick plan.

Just we are undecided about a holiday this year and all depends on money. So got thinking I might be able to cnvince swmbo this is a good idea. Although camping for us wold be a non starter as she hates it and we'd be bringing along our 15 month old. So wold be b&b for us.

Any more information on this

i was will start up a list for ppl to add there name to that what to come and if they could put down what month is best for them out of july , august or september or any of the 3 ?

1. dazjenks - any of the 3

Edited by dazjenks