Yeti spare wheel - am I getting this right?!

Yeti_Man

2 hours ago, Sad555 said:

50 MAX IS SPECIFIED..

I don't think  it is due specifically to the difference circumference of the tyre; My understanding is that in the UK it is illegal to drive with unmatched wheels/tyres on the same axle eg different widths  or diameters or wheel type (alloy/steel) or tyre construction crossply/radial etc etc, and the penalties for doing so are similar to driving with a bald tyre (points  & fine etc). To overcome this, car manufacturers have specified ('type approved') a spare wheel which can be used temporarily to get the car to the nearest repair centre and at no more than 50MPH.

Jim

Edited by muddyjim
  • Like 1

Offski.          The tyre sizes and pressures are in the handbook that's why it's provided I guess,it's a 4 x 4 ,if I need to know anything technical above the fact 4 as opposed to 2 wheels will be engaged in some conditions ,that should be explained in the handbook,that knowledge is required to use common sense and  I wonder how many 4 x 4 drivers are aware of the intricacies when owning a 4 x 4 when driving on a day to day basis on the road and not going off road and before you ask as to why people buy 4 x 4 when not regularly needing it is another issue...................................thank you MUDDYJIM  for those helpful details that's what I call common sense,just trying to get some understanding of the reason of the spare supplied is the size that it is.i was not aware that fitting it on a 4x4 was likely to have adverse effects when used as recommended in the handbook and the AA when fitting it.

Edited by Sad555

You know it really depends on the type of differential as to if it would be harmful to have different diameter tyres on the same axle. I know that it would destroy the differential on my Lancia Delta Integrale, but that has full time four wheel drive with an epicyclic center differential paired with a Ferguson viscous coupling and Torsen type rear rear differential. Different tyre sizes will burn out the friction plates in the differential.

After at the video below I don't see why the Haldex would be affected by different tyre sizes because it is used to simply engage the whole axle on demand. 

Searching around the internet it looks like the Yeti front and rear differentials are the normal planetary gear type, which should not be damaged by different tyre diameters. 

If I'm not correct I'd like to know more about it. 

Edited by gjscott

You are correct, gjs. Running the different sized spare on a Yeti will not be damaging, since as you say the diffs are standard planetary ones.

VAG engineers would not have specified the different sized spare if it was damaging, and it would not have passed it's Type Approval if it was dangerous.

It is nothing to worry about; just follow Skoda's instructions in the Handbook.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Having just acquired a Yeti, we had the misfortune to be forced off the road by a Range Rover driver and burst our front tyre - no spare!!! OK, we just didn't know that Skoda's spare was a bottle of stuff.....

The option of a full size isn't going to work but we could cope with a spacesaver - the dealer could not provide any advice about a suitable spacer saver but he did suggest that other Skoda or VAG space saver wheels might fit. 

We found an Octavia space saver kit including jack for sale on a local website, is this option a workable alternative?????

What other VAG space savers would be suitable?

Tim

I don't know what size the Octavia spare is, as you don't say, but the Yeti is only Type Approved for a "wide" space saver wheel with an almost standard size 16" tyre. Fitting anything else is potentially illegal, would invalidate your insurance, and could result in legal action.

As has been said many times in this Group, there is a company erroniously selling a very narrow spare stated suitable for a Yeti, that is quite obviously not as the tyre's weight limit is below that of the Yeti.

Your dealer should know full well that a full kit of the correct spare wheel, jack, brace and all the plastic fittings is available from Skoda.

I ended up buying a spare set from my dealer - having been horrified that it didn't have one. It takes up a lot of space in the boot but does come in a frame thing with lots of handy pockets for things that otherwise roll about.

11 hours ago, Iblamethatcher said:

Hi,

Having just acquired a Yeti, we had the misfortune to be forced off the road by a Range Rover driver and burst our front tyre - no spare!!! OK, we just didn't know that Skoda's spare was a bottle of stuff.....

The option of a full size isn't going to work but we could cope with a spacesaver - the dealer could not provide any advice about a suitable spacer saver but he did suggest that other Skoda or VAG space saver wheels might fit. 

We found an Octavia space saver kit including jack for sale on a local website, is this option a workable alternative?????

What other VAG space savers would be suitable?

Tim

Based on my personal experience moving from a 2WD to 4WD Yeti,  I suspect the Octavia spare wheel kit my not have a jack of the required load rating for your 4x4 Yeti.

I'd imagine something like this should suffice: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Skoda-Yeti-4wd-spare-wheel-kit-Tool-Kit-False-Floor-/232706345166?clk_rvr_id=1477217311291&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=twenga&utm_campaign=twenga&utm_param=eyJlcyI6MCwicyI6OTcyMDIzNywiY2kiOiIwMzUyMWFmZWYwNjljODg5YWQ5MDlmNzk4MzQ3MmY2MSIsImkiOiIyMzI3MDYzNDUxNjYiLCJ0cyI6MTUyMTkyMTEzNiwidiI6Mywic28iOjE1MDAsImMiOjE3OTY4MX0%3D&rmvSB=true

• 6 months later...
On 03/03/2017 at 13:51, gjscott said:

Width of tyre isn't the issue, it's the circumference that will affect the differential.

Here are the numbers. Looks like the 195/65 R16 is the closest. 

225/50 R17 - The tyre size on my Yeti. 

Diameter = 657.86 mm 

Circumference = (πxd) = 2,066.73 mm

195/60 R16:

Diameter =  640.08 mm

Circumference = (πxd)  = 2010.87 mm

195/65 R16:

Diameter =  660.40mm

Circumference = (πxd)  = 2072.71 mm

Having just acquired a Yeti minus the spare wheel, I've been looking into how to fit one.  My workings out of the overall circumference of the tyre came out similar to gjscott's with the 225/50 R17 tyre at 2063.7mm.

I have two space saver spares in the garage from my previous cars, one 18" and one 19".   The 19" has a 125/70 tyre and the circumference comes out at 2066.2mm. 

That's so close that it can make little or no difference to the diffs or the Haldex unti.  All I have to do now is sort out the fitting of it and get a jack and wheel brace.  Maybe I'll get those storage boxes and cut them down to size.

3 minutes ago, bryetian said:

Having just acquired a Yeti minus the spare wheel, I've been looking into how to fit one.  My workings out of the overall circumference of the tyre came out similar to gjscott's with the 225/50 R17 tyre at 2063.7mm.

I have two space saver spares in the garage from my previous cars, one 18" and one 19".   The 19" has a 125/70 tyre and the circumference comes out at 2066.2mm. 

That's so close that it can make little or no difference to the diffs or the Haldex unti.  All I have to do now is sort out the fitting of it and get a jack and wheel brace.  Maybe I'll get those storage boxes and cut them down to size.

I didnt think space saver wheels were approved for a 4x4 Yeti.

44 minutes ago, bryetian said:

The post by Tech1e above is correct, the ultra narrow, 18" or 19" spare wheels are not legal to use on a Yeti. The car has only been Type Approved to run the 16" spare wheel and tyre mentioned above. Therefore you risk prosecution if caught using it and potentially your insurance would be invalid.

4 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

The post by Tech1e above is correct, the ultra narrow, 18" or 19" spare wheels are not legal to use on a Yeti. The car has only been Type Approved to run the 16" spare wheel and tyre mentioned above. Therefore you risk prosecution if caught using it and potentially your insurance would be invalid. 

Yes, I realise that.

For Tech1e - I've now seen the spare size quoted as 195/60 R16 :)

If you are happy breaking the Law and risking your car impounded or even scrapped, plus a hefty fine and points due to the insurance conditions, then so be it, but personally more fool you.
I obviously have more respect for the Law and other motorists than you do.

8 hours ago, Tech1e said:

I didnt think space saver wheels were approved for a 4x4 Yeti.

I suppose it depends on what is meant by a "Space Saver"?  The 16" steel wheel and 195/60 R16 tyre that is in my 17" wheeled Yeti boot is a "Space Saver" in that it isn't as big as the normal road wheels/tyres fitted to my Yeti, so takes up less space in the boot.

Its only 30mm narrower and obviously the same diameter, that is a negligible difference. Indeed after a puncture the normal wheel will have to fit in the same place albeit the boot floor sits slightly higher.

As far as I know Skoda have gone with the steel wheel and tyre in 16 inch as used in a base model in the home country.

On 05/10/2018 at 12:05, bryetian said:

Why not just buy the official Skoda spare wheel kit?  Eg from Caffyns: https://seat-skoda.caffynsparts.co.uk/parts/skoda-parts/skoda-yeti-4wd-spare-wheel-kit-including-false-floor/ - that's everything including the wheel.  Separately, the part numbers to look for are 5L0071108 for the false floor, tools & storage boxes, and 8P060102703C for the 195/60 R16 tyre on a 6.0Jx16 ET 50 steel wheel.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2018 at 13:57, Llanigraham said:

If you are happy breaking the Law and risking your car impounded or even scrapped, plus a hefty fine and points due to the insurance conditions, then so be it, but personally more fool you.
I obviously have more respect for the Law and other motorists than you do.

Hmmm, some posts seem to have disappeared from this thread without explanation.

Yet the quoted diatribe remains.  Curious. 

41 minutes ago, bryetian said:

Hmmm, some posts seem to have disappeared from this thread without explanation.

Yet the quoted diatribe remains.  Curious. 

Hi,

You  are not alone at being disappointed by the tone of this thread.

The moderators seem to be very selective.

Tim

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

I've read and understood that the standard approved spare is 195 tyre requiring the false floor reducing boot space. Without getting into the rights and wrongs of using one does a "skinny" spare fit under the standard floor on a 4x4? (Thinking of buying so haven't got a Yeti yet to check)

Edited by juan27

4 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

No it will not, as the "non-spare" floor is basically just a floor covering.

So the Yeti doesn't really have a spare wheel well? Is that right?