Drug Drivers

I had an interesting morning.

Traveling from Newbury to Hungerford on the A4 there was a 56 plate Mini Cooper S been driven very eratically, well more suicidally really. I first noticed it when it overtook a couple of cars and then darted in behind me. It then weaved around behind me for a bit before overtaking myself and about 5 or 6 cars in front all in one go in foggy conditions and into the path of oncoming traffic. At one point he was actually travelling between the two opposing lanes with cars either side. I thought at the time that it's only a matter of time before he hits something. 2 minutes later, a Landrover with a trailer has been shunted off the road and guess which car did the shunting?

Anyway I stopped to help the driver of the Landrover as after seeing the rediculous driving from the offending car, I couldn't live with myself to drive straight past, especially if no one else came forward to report the lunacy. Luckily, the driver of the Landrover was fine, just well shaken up. I then turned to the driver of the Mini and it was very clear that he was on something, eyes totally glazed over, speech slurred, sudden mood swings and just a general lack of understanding of what was happening. He kept trying to argue with me that he'd been traveling in the opposite direction and the Landrover had just pulled out on him, claiming that there was nothing wrong with his driving! At which point I had no alternative but to firmly inform him that it would be in his best interests to just stop talking altogether until the Police arrive to deal with him.

Police came, arrested him and I also had to go to the station to make a statement, which I was more than happy to doin order to help get these sort of mentalists of the roads.

I feel really bad for the guy in the Landrover as, through no fault of his own, he's had to suffer the shock and inconvenience of such an incident, but in a way I'm glad the Mini hit a vehicle as solid as the Landrover as had it been a much smaller car it would have been one hell of a mess and not everyone may have been walking away unharmed.

Unfortunatelty you here about these sort of things all to often, but when you actually experience it first hand, it certainly is an eye opener.

you did a good thing in stopping and helping, also in giving a statement about what you saw.

i wasnt there, i aint questioning you and i dont know you or what you know about drugs/effects/symptoms.

It all comes down to forensics/tests and what they can prove. there are some conditions and medications which can have drug-like efeects symptoms, some of these, like epilepsy, ADHD can effect speech/abilty to drive/appearance.

what seems to be clear is the mini was driving like a kn o b.If he was on drugs/drink/strong medication he is even more of a fool for driving and deserved to be nicked.

even the police would say that he is only nicked on suspicion of being under influence until relevant tests come back.

hope the Landy driver ok and well done for stopping. many would just ignore

Edited by fatty5000
You too danny boy :-)

you did a good thing in stopping and helping, also in giving a statement about what you saw.

i wasnt there, i aint questioning you and i dont know you or what you know about drugs/effects/symptoms.

It all comes down to forensics/tests and what they can prove. there are some conditions and medications which can have drug-like efeects symptoms, some of these, like epilepsy, ADHD can effect speech/abilty to drive/appearance.

what seems to be clear is the mini was driving like a kn o b.If he was on drugs/drink/strong medication he is even more of a fool for driving and deserved to be nicked.

even the police would say that he is only nicked on suspicion of being under influence until relevant tests come back.

hope the Landy driver ok and well done for stopping. many would just ignore

firstly if you are taking medication which causes drowsiness it is an offence to drive under it, it says this on the label as well,

secondly if you suffer for epilepsy your driving licence is revoked for until 3 years after your most recent seizure, my best friend is a sufferer, and his licence was revoked when he had a seizure, and he only received it back recently as has gone 3 years without a problem,

9 times out of 10 the police dont do drug tests unless there is a death in the accident due to the complexity, sadly there is no simple system like a breathaliser for alcohol

firstly if you are taking medication which causes drowsiness it is an offence to drive under it, it says this on the label as well,

secondly if you suffer for epilepsy your driving licence is revoked for until 3 years after your most recent seizure, my best friend is a sufferer, and his licence was revoked when he had a seizure, and he only received it back recently as has gone 3 years without a problem,

9 times out of 10 the police dont do drug tests unless there is a death in the accident due to the complexity, sadly there is no simple system like a breathaliser for alcohol

yeah i know that rich.........wern't being funny.........not everyone follows the rules though do they, its an offence to do loads of things but people still do em......look at George Michael, he took a sleeping pill before he went out and fell asleep at the wheel, there must be many more who take medication they shouldn't and then go and drive.

your right that there is no breathaliser for drugs but police have done trials on strips which detect presence of drugs....not sure whats happened with them.

most important thing is that there are poeple (like you) prepared to stop and to make a statement.

He didn't get tested at the roadside, but he will have been at the station. The Police wouldn't tell me much obviously, apart from "he is totally out of it".

I was convinced he was on illegal drugs, as I've been unfortunate enough in my lifetime to see a fair few people get into right states through them. Doubtful it was down to a head injury as it would've been unlkely for the paramedics to let the Police take him without going to Hospital first. Whatever he had taken, it must've made him feel invincible to be driving like he was. I hope they tthrow the book at him for it and I can safely say it is the most stupid and outragous road incident I've ever witnessed.

He didn't get tested at the roadside, but he will have been at the station. The Police wouldn't tell me much obviously, apart from "he is totally out of it".

As in someone who has a very low blood suger level , unless the paramedics had ruled that out too .Trouble is some diabetics recognise the signs early,and swig something sugary -some don't .Then again ,there's too much sugar in blood -but it's not getting to the bits that need it .

Good Man :thumbup:

I'll be the first to admit that when I first past my test some of my over taking with hindsight was down right dangerous, but that just takes the biscuit. Well done for taking the time out to sort it properly, hopefully he'll be kept off the roads

Well done sir!

It would be a bonus if they crushed his car as well as send him down.

:thumbup:

Yes well done for stopping.

I disagree about crushing the car though. Take it off him by all means but instead sell it on, after repairs, to a member of the public and put the proceeds towards a charity that helps families of the victims of these people.

Dave

• 1 month later...

As in someone who has a very low blood suger level , unless the paramedics had ruled that out too .Trouble is some diabetics recognise the signs early,and swig something sugary -some don't .Then again ,there's too much sugar in blood -but it's not getting to the bits that need it .

Thing is, if you have diabetes and you have a low blood sugar episode behind the wheel it legally it comes into the same category as Driving Under The Influence Of Drugs.

(A bit harsh cos it's not their fault as such... and a first timer is clearly not at fault. But if you have any medical condition that impairs your ability to drive and you KNOWINGLY put the rest of us at risk, then expect to be prosecuted.)