Scout or L&K? Ride height vs gearbox choice

v0n

I'm planning to replace my mk1 L&K with FL Octy Estate some time soon (hopefully this month, subject to dealers ability to match prices) but there is something I need a bit of help with...

I spend a lot of my time on the road driving through London, which is why at first L&K 1.8T with DSG seems like a perfect match. I've been entertaining possibility of having DSG in my next car for now years and I know it would make my commute much easier and lighter. However, after three years of swearing profusely every morning when I drive in and out of my street on the steep hill and hear that dreaded "crunchcrunch" of a diving Octy front scraping tarmac with its front lip like i was jumping out in a Mustang onto streets of San Francisco - I simply can not allow myself to invest in a car that has front bumper and undertray hung as low as mk1 Octy had. I had a bumper in mk1 L&K replaced twice already and had to repaint it two times (and it's actually ready for the third paintjob). Low ground clearance of mk1 Octavia is one of my pet hates.

I asked dealers and tried to pull some data from various sites, but I can't seem to get definitive answer - how much ground clearance does mk2 FL L&K have? If I understand correctly all FL Octies that come with optional 17†Pallas alloys have lowered sports suspension, making them almost as low as current vRS, which is so low it can barely park on my steep, hilly driveway ( I tried with demo vRS from local dealer ). Since L&K come with 17" alloys by default I presume it means suspension is lowered as well? Or not?

Obviously the perfect solution would be Scout with optional extras. If there was such a beast as Scout with DSG gear box, I wouldn't even ask. Another downside of the new L&K (and plus for Scout) is the "mortuary gloom" interior options where unlike even 1st Octy, the choice of trims appears to be black leather on black everything or cadaver pale leather on black everything. As far as I can see maxed out Scout with Alcantara is not going to have much less creature comforts than L&K and the trim might actually be slightly brighter, because of the silver elements instead of piano black. It's just that gearbox - I would really love DSG this time around.

Both Scout and L&K are priced almost identically after adding all the options I want, so forumites - my choice is in your hands - help me - if all FL L&K's are as low as mk1 was (or not much higher than current vRS) - then I'll have to forget about DSG and pick Scout. If FL L&K has considerably more ground clearance than mk1, then one of those, with DSG shall be my ride for the years to come.

What about an Elegance without the sports suspension, and thus 16" alloys, but with all the other options to effectively make it an L&K, except without all those L&K badges everywhere!

Thought about it, especially that if I understand the Q1 2010 literature Elegance has option of Ivory on black interior similar to mk1 L&K (although brochure doesn't say if wood trims are still available). However. Sadly, Elegance with all the options to match L&K works out considerably more expensive than L&K....

Edited by v0n

The L&K doesn't come with lowered ( sports ) suspension as standard, it has to be specced with Pallas or Pegasus wheels. The Elegance and L&K with sports suspension will be lower than the Vrs. I have the Elegance with sports suspension and I don't have any trouble with ground clearance, take it a bit easier over the speed humps.

Hi Von,

I had the same problem with you with a mk1 Octavia, no matter what I did either the front or the rear of the car scraped going on and of the drive. Our drive is so steep even the wifes corsa scrapes and that has very little overhang!

I now have a mk 2 L+K and even loaded up with all my kit it does not scrape. Going for holiday I had two adults, 2 kids, roofbox and a bootful and it did not scrape either. I bought the L+K over a VRS as the VRS was 17mm lower according to the brochure and that deifinatley would have scraped!

I hope this helps.

TC

Thought about it, especially that if I understand the Q1 2010 literature Elegance has option of Ivory on black interior similar to mk1 L&K (although brochure doesn't say if wood trims are still available). However. Sadly, Elegance with all the options to match L&K works out considerably more expensive than L&K....

I know that you are primarily talking about practicalities here, but - If you spec a Scout to the same level as a L&K, when it comes to re-sale value, even though they may have both cost the same, the L&K will be worth more.

Basically, factory fitted (& dealer fitted) options add very little to residual value, though of course they can make the car more attractive, so easier to sell.

As far as ground clearance is concerned, I can't comment on Mk2 FL L&K - I do know however, that my MK1 L&K Combi with Eibach lowered springs was a nightmare for traversing speed humps!

John.

I'm planning to replace my mk1 L&K with FL Octy Estate some time soon (hopefully this month, subject to dealers ability to match prices) but there is something I need a bit of help with...

I spend a lot of my time on the road driving through London, which is why at first L&K 1.8T with DSG seems like a perfect match. I've been entertaining possibility of having DSG in my next car for now years and I know it would make my commute much easier and lighter. However, after three years of swearing profusely every morning when I drive in and out of my street on the steep hill and hear that dreaded "crunchcrunch" of a diving Octy front scraping tarmac with its front lip like i was jumping out in a Mustang onto streets of San Francisco - I simply can not allow myself to invest in a car that has front bumper and undertray hung as low as mk1 Octy had. I had a bumper in mk1 L&K replaced twice already and had to repaint it two times (and it's actually ready for the third paintjob). Low ground clearance of mk1 Octavia is one of my pet hates.

I asked dealers and tried to pull some data from various sites, but I can't seem to get definitive answer - how much ground clearance does mk2 FL L&K have? If I understand correctly all FL Octies that come with optional 17†Pallas alloys have lowered sports suspension, making them almost as low as current vRS, which is so low it can barely park on my steep, hilly driveway ( I tried with demo vRS from local dealer ). Since L&K come with 17" alloys by default I presume it means suspension is lowered as well? Or not?

Obviously the perfect solution would be Scout with optional extras. If there was such a beast as Scout with DSG gear box, I wouldn't even ask. Another downside of the new L&K (and plus for Scout) is the "mortuary gloom" interior options where unlike even 1st Octy, the choice of trims appears to be black leather on black everything or cadaver pale leather on black everything. As far as I can see maxed out Scout with Alcantara is not going to have much less creature comforts than L&K and the trim might actually be slightly brighter, because of the silver elements instead of piano black. It's just that gearbox - I would really love DSG this time around.

Both Scout and L&K are priced almost identically after adding all the options I want, so forumites - my choice is in your hands - help me - if all FL L&K's are as low as mk1 was (or not much higher than current vRS) - then I'll have to forget about DSG and pick Scout. If FL L&K has considerably more ground clearance than mk1, then one of those, with DSG shall be my ride for the years to come.

Going from a Mk1 GLXi (I think) 1 to a Mk 2 Elegance I couldn't believe the amount of extra ground clearance available. The Octy I and come to think of it the Galant before that both scraped on a few of the dodgy country roads I drive. I've driven the same roads with the Octy II and never touched down once. I'm pretty sure mine is the standard ride height with 16" alloys - 17's are much too harsh for the state of the roads here, 15's are amazing because you see the bumps go under the wheels, sometimes hear the tyre hit them, but don't feel the bumps at all - not that inspiring on corners though...

Its 180mm ground clearance with my FL Scout with 17" wheels (std) same as the Yeti.

Hmmm...

Standard wheels on my L&K.

The real clearance may not be what it seems. If I measure the paintwork to the ground, in the middle between the front and rear wheels, its 180mm. BUT if I look under the car, and measure the underside to the ground (about 300mm in from the edge) that is only 150mm. Which explains why I scraped that kerb stone when I drove across it yesterday.

I know that you are primarily talking about practicalities here, but - If you spec a Scout to the same level as a L&K, when it comes to re-sale value, even though they may have both cost the same, the L&K will be worth more.

Basically, factory fitted (& dealer fitted) options add very little to residual value, though of course they can make the car more attractive, so easier to sell.

Actually, purely in terms of resale value (which is very far, far down on the list my priorities) , it looks like Scouts hold their value better than any Octy, including L&K. Amusingly enough, most of the trade must think Scouts hold value better than gold because all bar the cheapest two 1 year old Scouts on autotrader are valued higher than a DTD price of brand new Scout with tax and delivery. :D

However, what you said about extras not adding much to the value is true, which is another mark on the list of cons for Elegance with max spec - it would match L&K (bar few L&K specific extras), have DSG, full ride height and arguably better interior with creme leather, creme on black panels and wood. But I would have to pay £800 extra and lose considerable chunk in resale value.

If you have light grey leather seats it makes the interior look a lot lighter.

It's just that pale, grey leather in all black interior still looks so gloomy. I'm not particular fan of fake wood or anything, but compared to mk1 L&K with sand/black/wood interior, the new L&K, being the highest trim money can buy feels too much like an "S" trim with leather:

L&K:

octylk.jpg

Elegance with ivory trim (unfortunately, it looks like ivory leather with alcantara inserts, as seen on pic below, is not available in UK, only full leather with eco-leather bolsters):

octyeleg1.jpg

Hmmm...

Standard wheels on my L&K.

The real clearance may not be what it seems. If I measure the paintwork to the ground, in the middle between the front and rear wheels, its 180mm. BUT if I look under the car, and measure the underside to the ground (about 300mm in from the edge) that is only 150mm. Which explains why I scraped that kerb stone when I drove across it yesterday.

Would make sense, if Scout is 18mm higher than standard Octy II FL, and Scout, according to measurements from poster above had 180mm ground clearance, 150-160mm for regular Octy sounds about right.

----

As a side note, I found another addition to the list of cons for Scout. It seems that in their inifinite wisdom Skoda equipped and calibrated Scout for 225/50/17 tyres, which has to be the least popular size for mud & snow, all year and winter tyres. Forget about my lovely, grippy and quiet Vredestein Quatracs - there are only about three manufacturers in the world that do M&S tyres in that size.. :(

Edited by v0n

The L&K interior is much more classy looking in the flesh, the pictures in the brochure do it no justice at all.

The gloss black inserts add a nice touch of class to the interior. The fake wood inserts make the Octavia II look like a Rover from the mid 90s IMO.

Everyone that has seen or been in my car have always complimented the light leather and gloss black combination.

My 2007 car has 17" alloys and the bog standard suspension set up, i've never scraped the front or back of the car and I have the boot full at all times. My old Mk1 PD130 had many scrape marks under the front bumper.