Idling too fast

Hi all, I thought I'd ask here even though my car is a Golf (1.9 ASZ ) as I know there are a lot of clued up guys here. Anyway, my car sounded a bit 'off' earlier, maybe like the exhaust was blowing or something, I was just sort of getting a bit of a rattle/reverberation in the cabin that seemed strange, but after having a poke about I realised it was idling a bit too high. It's around 980rpm whereas it should be more like 900rpm. Car was warm and has done it again this evening, so it hasn't fixed itself yet... The car has recently been serviced around 400 miles or so ago and had a new 'zorst around 150 miles ago. Everything was fine yesterday, this has just occured today for no apparent reason. Any suggestions as to why!?

Before everyone tells me to get it scanned, I would but I only have a free version that wouldn't talk to the car last time I tried, so I'm just after ideas at the mo.

Throttle body may need a clean out buddy - relatively simple job. 980 RPM ain't that bad though, my Fab idles at around that. Are you sure it's only idling at 80 higher than normal? That doesn't seem like a lot to be concerned about mate...

Hi all, I thought I'd ask here even though my car is a Golf (1.9 ASZ ) as I know there are a lot of clued up guys here....

I've had the same symptons as you, exhaust blowing sound and it was the i/c hose popped off at the EGR valve but can't say the idling increased in speed. In my case the there was a lot more black smoke coming out the exhaust as well. So check the i/c hoses and joints aren't leaking first. As you just had anew exhaust check that for leaks as well.

Edited by DGW

DSC00282.jpg

I took that earlier when it was warm, at idle. It doesn't sound like it's idling that much higher, to be honest I'm not sure if I'm correct on the normal idle speed, but it does seem a bit higher than normal. I had a boost hose blow off a little while back and I'm pretty sure it's not another one of those, car pulls fine but might possibly be a bit thirstier than normal?

Not sure, don't think it shows up as a fault code usually.

Have a look and see if the sensor is black or green. If it is black then it's probably faulty. The green ones are the later, modified parts. Not that expensive to buy, probably cheaper than asking a dealer to plug it in and scan it for faults.

Throttle body may need a clean out buddy - relatively simple job. 980 RPM ain't that bad though, my Fab idles at around that. Are you sure it's only idling at 80 higher than normal? That doesn't seem like a lot to be concerned about mate...

Throttle body on an ASZ diesel engine? No such thing, Idle should be 850RPM. Throttle pedal position sensor can cause intermittent high idle.

So I'm not just being paranoid, my car should be idling lower than it is!?

Every 1.9TDI I have seen idles at 850RPM. Scan may show the culprit, but throttle sensor doesn't log a code unless goosed completely. Engine temp sensor would be my best guess.

Yeah, there's a note about the o-ring, clip is a good idea too I guess.

If it does turn out to be a problem with this sensor, could it be down to the fact that the coolant has recently been drained and replaced? Had the cam belt and water pump replaced recently, just a thought...

Yeah, there's a note about the o-ring, clip is a good idea too I guess.

If it does turn out to be a problem with this sensor, could it be down to the fact that the coolant has recently been drained and replaced? Had the cam belt and water pump replaced recently, just a thought...

Wouldn't have thought so. The temperature sensors on VAG cars seem a little prone to failure. What colour is the one that is on your car now?

• 1 year later...