New Side Light power LED's

Ok peeps, I have just undertaken the quick and easy install of some high power LED side light bulbs. I went for the 'white' colour which actually seem to look blue when lit on their own. Nice bright white light when headlights are lit though. It does give out a better and stronger light. I am curently running the Phillips X-treme power headlight bulbs.

Firstly changed over drivers side. What a change when just side lights are lit.

b6q5g4.jpg

I know it can be a bit of a marmite mod as some people do not like the blue look. It really does not look blue when the headlights are lit though. Next I took a photo to see how the power output was affected. Would it really make a difference?

nw0aoj.jpg

I think you can clearly see that the drivers side looks to be omitting a brighter light than the passenger side. Then popped in the other.

iz92ts.jpg

9sw977.jpg

Opinions please...........

tbh they look good however in terms of atracking attention how will they if the dipped beams are on then no one can see the colour of the side lights and also if just sidelights are on then theyd look more whited/dull in daylight so not much chance of impersonation of a police car!

1 will they get through an mot?

2 how do you do this mod im intreged!

I hope they are the metal cased LED's - designed to be used next to the main headlight? Otherwise they will last about 2 weeks! I had a set in my car for about a year, until one blew, and I just cannot justify the cost that these are (£7 from Ultraleds). I now just use Philips Bluevision sidelights, may not look quite as good as the LED's but still offer a vast improvement over the standard bulbs.

Si.

tbh they look good however in terms of atracking attention how will they if the dipped beams are on then no one can see the colour of the side lights and also if just sidelights are on then theyd look more whited/dull in daylight so not much chance of impersonation of a police car!

1 will they get through an mot?

2 how do you do this mod im intreged!

1 Pass MOT no probs.

2 Change of sidelight is simple. Undo screws and pop light cover off back of lights by unfastening clips. Sidelights are a simple pull out and replace job. If people really want I will do a quick guide with photos this weekend.

:thumbup:

Its not that I can't justify them, Its just Ultraleds as a company have got some bad reviews of late, and tbh Ive not been that impressed with their customer service in the past. Until I find some other LEDs that will withstand the high temps, then the bulbs that are in there look just fine.

Easy to fit, or rip your hands apart job? Easier to take the lights out or..? Got some of these to match my xenons, had a quick peek how to get the backs off yesterday & seems there's very little room to manouver in the engine bay behind the lights!

I've been running LED sides from about 2 hours after i picked it up from the dealers!

If they're not metal cased they will melt in time, You'll find they'll get dimmer and bluer then they fail!

As for MOT mine passed with them inemoticon-0148-yes.gif

Easy to fit, or rip your hands apart job? Easier to take the lights out or..? Got some of these to match my xenons, had a quick peek how to get the backs off yesterday & seems there's very little room to manouver in the engine bay behind the lights!

Picture386.jpg

Picture387.jpg

Do-able, Take your time. Gives a shout and i'll run you through taking the back of the light apart!

1 Pass MOT no probs.

2 Change of sidelight is simple. Undo screws and pop light cover off back of lights by unfastening clips. Sidelights are a simple pull out and replace job. If people really want I will do a quick guide with photos this weekend.

:thumbup:

yh guide would be helpful for alot of people even if they dont want led's

• 3 weeks later...

I've gone through two sets of H.I.D./Xenon style L.E.D.'s so it has been good to read some of the previous posts.

What i have since found out is that VAG cars run between a 12-15v electrical system so a basic vRS will probably be fine with L.E.D.'s at approx 12v, but my vRS has all the extra kit on it e.g. heated seats, H.I.D./Xenons headlights etc so if you are like me and drive with your headlights on all the time and being winter have heaters on high, heated seats on, rear window heating element on for demisting etc then the system starts running closer to 15v which will just blow a bog standard 12v L.E.D.

I have since found H.I.D./Xenon style L.E.D.'s that are rated at, up to 15v and have been informed this will rectify the problem of them failing. If these last then great it was the previously mentioned problem. If they fail then its more likely to be the heat soak issue that that have been spoken about in this thread, although i cant see it being that as i have plenty of friends who all have different motors that run a mixture headlight combos and all there L.E.D.'s have been fine, even the ones that have the side lights very close to the dipped and full beam !!

Only time will tell so i'll give you an update once they are fitted and been running for a while.

regards

Ross

WRC_068