DRL's and other road users

Am I right in thinking that the DRL's get dimmer when you put your side lights on? If so - why?

Yeah that is frustrating when you need them to be a bit brighter if anything they go dimmer, there must be some way of 'fixing' this in vcds

That would be nice if it could be done but only for when the car is being driven.

Don't forget that some people have to park with their side lights on and having them at DRL brightness would not only be distracting to other road users, but more of a battery user.

Without wanting to start a new thread for the sake of it I saw something intresting today on the M42 with 3 new VRS's. (Is VRS's right? Whats a group of VRS's called........a Swede of Skodas?............anyway I digress)

On the northside of the M42 I saw a race blue VRS looking all funky with it's Xenons and LED's twinking, a couple of cars back was a silver VRS, again with Xenons on but it's DRL were not LED. They were in the same location and width but the were very yellow. It was definaetly a VRS as I could see the rear wing and also saw the red glint of the calipers as we passed. Strange, I thought all LEDS were LEDS and not just yellow christmas lights.

Just after that I got off at junction 4 at Shirley and a new VRS in Race Blue pulled up behind me at the lights and again it had yellow DRL rather than the LED. Didnt seem to have washer jets so no Xenons.

Confused ???

Interesting topic. I ALWAYS drive with dipped beam on (not just sidelights). Here in the Highlands it's useful to do so; doubly so when you drive an anthracite grey car when the roads, weather, buildings (and people) are all anthracite grey too, if not duller. I'm certainly not the only one who does this - probably about 30% of drivers do (more so in winter). I do this because I once had a near head on collision which resulted in a fairly messy multiple vehicle incident where the driver at fault, who had pulled out of a side road into the main road, said she hadn't seen me. As i had lights on (cofirmed by witnesses) this factor contributed to her being charged.

Occasionally (more so in the South) I get flashed for having lights on, once or twice been "told" by some exaggerated mouthing. I am always courteous to thank the individuals for letting me know my lights work, and that they are observant as they have in fact seen me. Or something.

The frustrating thing is being flashed in grey evening half-light by a silver or grey car: especially as they a) speed past you exceeding the 30 mile limit, B) drive with their mobile phones and c) have a fit trying to point out my safe procedure.

Ho Hum!

I had mine switched on a few weeks ago, and have had a couple of flashes since. They're mostly from folks just trying to be helpful, but people sadly forget that you can't normally turn your fogs on without your headlights, so they can't be fogs (even if they're not bright enough but in the right place).

It'll pass... I grew up with a Saab... it was routine for people to flash us and mouth "lights" back in the 70s. As other posters have said, when it's more common then people will understand (or, perhaps, just explode with self-righteous indignation).

I've never been in a car that you can't have the lights set to side and the fogs on. If you had to have headlights on, the front fogs would be pointless as they are most useful where reflection off the fog is too much. In these situations you do go to fogs and sides until you've cleared the thick fog.

If I was looking at a car that didn't let you have them on without the headlights on then that would be enough to be a deal breaker.

Was driving behind a friend in work this morning, who did think I had my fogs on due to DRL.. wasn't until I parked up he seen that they were chav LED lights as he put it!

Haven't had any abuse from other road users as yet.. seen plenty of Audi, Mercsand the new 911 with them on and I guess the new VW R series will have them shortly as well so will be more common, I guess they must see the skoda badge and think they have been to halfords and fitted DRL's.

I saw 3 today in the space of 15 minutes! Still confused by the DRL variance on all 3 cars ?

Was it the angle you saw them at? they're different to say audi led's because of the lens they sit behind, if you look at them straight on and low down you get the full impact slightly blue brightness, but if look at them from the side or down at them they perhaps appear yellowish?

The DRL's on mine run at full brightness when all the lights are off, half on side lights, and the same with dipped beam on. I seem to have what appear to be 2 side lights up above the dipped beam head lights, but they are NEVER in use!

As for being flashed at by morons for having my DRL's on, that's not something I've come across. People around here don't flash if you actually have fogs on, so don't give a smeg about the mysterious ways that are DRL's!

Like many have pointed out, it'll be law in a couple years for any new car made to be fitted with them. Shame so many sad gits around Longbridge have fitted some **** poor after market ones to their Rover 200's!!!!!

http://www.mgzr.org/USERIMAGES/moto_0013a.jpg

I saw 3 today in the space of 15 minutes! Still confused by the DRL variance on all 3 cars ?

I know when you have an AUDI with the yellowish DRL's it a sign to other AUDI drivers that you were too poor to spec the S-LIINE kit & get the nice bright white ones :rofl:

I know when you have an AUDI with the yellowish DRL's it a sign to other AUDI drivers that you were too poor to spec the S-LIINE kit & get the nice bright white ones :rofl:

The A4 like the FL vRS has two levels of brightness depending on wether you have sidelights on or off.