2 New Olympus Cameras

john999boy

Olympus has just announced the release of 2 new comapct cameras with up to 30x zoom. Both at a very reasonable price as well

Olympus_SP-800_3.jpg

Articles about them are here and here.

No doubt they'll not be up to the quality of a 'proper' camera but nevertheless, I'm sure that there will be a market for them.

Edited by john999boy

If I remember rightly Olympus were one of the first major companies to do long-range compacts (10x zoom), but they never got very good reviews, so I wouldn't hold my breath at these, and as stated, go too long and you have a job holding the thing steady.

I'll not be replacing my favourite anyway :no:

30x zoom sounds impressive , but it's going to be bloody difficult to get anything like a stable blur free image at the maximum.

From the review:-

The new SP-800UZ and SP-600UZ feature 30x wide optical zooms and Dual Image Stabilisation

My present camera only has 12x zoom and I know how difficult it can be to take pics at that setting - even with stabilisation built in so it had better be good.

As for my main use of any camera - sharp pictures - we'll see in March if the Olympus can perform on that score.

As for my main use of any camera - sharp pictures - we'll see in March if the Olympus can perform on that score.

Doesn't look very promising so far if they are already accepting you are going to get a dual image :giggle: