Snow chains

Y4YETI

Appalled to find that it may not be possible to fit snow chains to new Yeti - this is copy of email to snow chain supplier that I have also posted to Skoda customer service for their help and advice>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

:- [email protected]

Hello there from West Sussex

We were contemplating purchase of a pair of Weissenfall Klack & Go SUV snow chains for our new Skoda Yeti Elegance 2.0 TDI 170 bhp as your product description states they will not damage alloy wheels.

Our tyre size is 225 50R 17

Page 237 of the Skoda Yeti Manual states it is only permissable to fit snow chains with links and locks not larger than 12mm to only three wheel/tyre combinations:-

61 x 16 50mm 205/55

71 x 16 45mm 205/55

61 x 17 45mm 205/50

Snow chains must only be mounted on the front wheels.

The manual states that you must remove the full wheel trims if you wish to fit snow chains to the wheels.

As it is mandatory to have snow chains in certain European countries it is difficult to understand why Skoda have made the fitting of snowchains to the Yeti so impracticable. - unless of course the manual is out of date.

Comment and advice would be appreciated - thanks

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is utterly incomprehensible that a European manufacturer could be so glib towards the fitting of snow chains. Just like the undersized "full sized " spare wheel fiasco one has to fit undersized wheel /tyre combinations to fit chains to a car that is shouting life style so loudly. It is a disgrace. :thumbdown:

Y4YETI, you might consider researching the Spike Spider or Spider Spikes.

My link

My link

Yeti Tyre Size

It is stated that they will fit the rims of the 170 CR. If you definitely require chains have a look at them. They are expensive but should be exceptionally convenient and easy to use. :thumbup:

If you do find out or buy a 4 set can you let us know your findings please.

Edited by Anthony 1

Currently running my Monster on 205/55 R16 which seems fine with the winter tyres and feels more comfortable than the original 225/50 R17. My only grip is the dealer cannot adjust the speedo settings while I'm on these wheels, therefore I am recording more miles than I should be.

As this size is recommended it's seems very short sighted that the vehicle cannot be reconfigured when fitted with these alternatives. As I have stated before I would be very tempted to run the 205/55 R16 size permanently but for this over clocking issue.

Regards,

TP

It is utterly incomprehensible that a European manufacturer could be so glib towards the fitting of snow chains. Just like the undersized "full sized " spare wheel fiasco one has to fit undersized wheel /tyre combinations to fit chains to a car that is shouting life style so loudly. It is a disgrace. :thumbdown: <snip>

Thanks for your links and suggestions Anthony.

Wonder if you agree it is important to get Skoda agreement as to which of the Spikes Spider products could be fitted.

We also think that Skoda to cover this outrageous oversight should , if it is suitable, consider offering the Spikes Spider at a substantially discounted price as it is considerably more expensive than conventional snow chains.

Currently running my Monster on 205/55 R16 which seems fine with the winter tyres and feels more comfortable than the original 225/50 R17. My only grip is the dealer cannot adjust the speedo settings while I'm on these wheels, therefore I am recording more miles than I should be.

As this size is recommended it's seems very short sighted that the vehicle cannot be reconfigured when fitted with these alternatives. As I have stated before I would be very tempted to run the 205/55 R16 size permanently but for this over clocking issue.

Regards,

TP

Thanks for this input :)

Having just purchased a top of the range Yeti we do not expect to damage the environment further by scrapping a set of wheels and tyres and to purchase a replacement set of new wheels.

Why put wheels and tyres on a SUV that seriously detract from off road and bad weather performance?

The Yeti in my opinion is a great car but it is spoiled and marred by the whole wheel size thing, if it be spare tyre issue, snow chain fitments or having to change tyre wheel size for recommended winter tyre. This is compounded as TP states by an inability to change the ECU to show the correct speed when fitting the recommended winter tyre. It is just very poor, one should not need to even need to consider going to a dealers to have this reset it should be a home self do job. In reality it should not need dong at all because if the wheel to body and brake line clearances had been designed properly, a change in size would not be necessary at all and snow chains would just go strait on without issue.

Could someone please state which European countries make it compulsory to fit snow chains?

I can't find one.

However a lot of countries state you must have EITHER winter tyres OR chains, not both.

And one of the reasons Skoda, like nearly all manufacturers, fit stupid low profile tyres to SUV's is because in general that is what the public want, as they have no intention of ever getting their vehicle muddy or anywhere remotely away from the "blacktop". The one thing Skoda would be better doing is giving the option of fitting the 16" wheels as a "no cost" option. Preferably with the option of a PROPER All Terrain tyre too.

It is exactly the same with the Octavia. The only officially allowed wheels to use with chains is 6.0x16 ET50 (for the cars with wheels from 16" on).

Most better equipped Octavias have at least 6.5x16 ET50 and here Skoda doesnt approve the use of chains. Not to mention the 17" and 18" equipped cars.....

Thanks for this input :)

Having just purchased a top of the range Yeti we do not expect to damage the environment further by scrapping a set of wheels and tyres and to purchase a replacement set of new wheels.

Why put wheels and tyres on a SUV that seriously detract from off road and bad weather performance?

Not scrapped the original alloys; there sat in the garage waiting for late March when they will go back on, then in November sometime I will switch again. As tyres wear anyway my only real additional expense has been a set of steel rims and associated wheel trims. The smaller winter tyres have much improved grip so from a safety aspect money well spent.

Once I have worn out the 17" tyres I will re-evaluate whether to sell the 17" alloys and run the 16" steel rims but with 215/60 R16 all season tyres, depends I suppose on how long I decide to hang on to my Monster and any requirement to fit chains.

Regards,

TP

edit typo

Edited by The Plumber

Thanks TP - our general environmental points were not directed at enthusiasts such as yourself !!!!!!!

On the spare tyre issue we considered the points made by Skoda's dealer that Skoda, in the interests of the environment, had decided to include an inflation kit rather than a spare tyre. The relatively small cost of actually carrying around the extra weight for an average annual mileage was mentioned together with the manufacture of vast quantities of spare wheels that would never be used.

Although we have had spare wheels on our previous Octavia Estate, Fabia VrS and Superb we have never carried out a roadside wheel change. In those cases where we have used the spare it has been at home and to take off a tyre with air pressure loss.

We had decided that it was now becoming too dangerous to exercise roadside wheel changes and we would carry a foam kit to get home if we were local or call out a rescue service if we were not.

Obviously carrying a spare tyre will substantially reduce the available luggage space (even having regard to variable flooring).but this may be essential for competitive off roaders.

Many 4 x 4 have a spare wheel enclosure fitted to the rear door. Does the tailgate of the Yeti prevent such a feature being designed into the vehicle as we notice that many of the vehicles with external spare wheel enclosures have side hung rear doors?

If snow chains (or a Spikes Spider system) is legally necessary for some European travel surely it would be useful to include snow equipment storage in an external add on to avoid cutting down on the relatively small luggage space if Yeti is used for four passengers?

Finally we gave up the convenience of the Auto on our Superb for the utility of a 4WD and now find we have purchased a duck without webbed feet!!!

We feel that there is also a small safety issue in that we cannot easily find many of the electronic controls in the dark. Unlike the Superb the Yeti lacks backlighting on the buttons of many essential controls. The Elegance is quite an expensive vehicle and should Skoda have cut down on the standards of safety achieved on the Superb?

Vic

Edited by Y4YETI

I'll never drive without a spare. I had a blowout a couple of months back that no can of tyre gunk and inflator would pump up again due to a massive tear in the tread. If I didnt have a spare I would have been stranded at the side of the motorway for far longer than the 10mins it took me to change the wheel, awaiting recovery. Wheel changing is only dangerous if you position the car poorly.

<snip>. Wheel changing is only dangerous if you position the car poorly.

Hi mannyo - whilst I would be willing to change a wheel if I could do so safely I don't think my wife would be happy doing so as sometimes it is very difficult to release over tightened wheel bolts :)

Edited by Y4YETI

I didn't know this about the wheel size issue. I live in Switzerland and snow-chains are necessary in many areas. Was about to pull the trigger on a 1.8TSI 4x4 and now will need to understand this issue much more closely before I do. The fact that the recommended winter tyre is a smaller rolling diameter is nuts! It is a reduction of nearly 5% in diameter from the standard tyres of 215/60 16 that the basic one comes with over here. In rolling radius terms, that's a lot, as we use winter tyres for nearly half the year. It will affect service intervals, speed, recorded km travelled, etc.... Not to mention the fact that it will slightly reduce the contact area.

Thanks for the alert! I am really disappointed as when I was looking at a monster in the showroom, I was just thinking to myself how easy it would be to get chains on with that nice big wheel arch space.

Edited by rand

Why scrap them? Surely you could find a Fabia or Octavia owner who'd love to buy them. They might even have a set of 16" steels to swap...

Because in the UK only a tiny minority of owners will ever need winter tyres, and then only for a couple of days a year. In a lot of the UK chains wouldn't ever be needed. As I recall the continental European (where such requirements are more common) Yetis come with smaller wheels.

I think more people would have been put off the Yeti if it had chunky offroad tyres as standard.

RE wheel swapping:

if you swap from the 17" 225/50/17 to the 16" 215/60/16 wheels does this cause problems with the speed / odometer as well, or is it only if you swap to wheels that are suitable for snow chains.

I was thinking of asking the dealer to put the 16" (the ones below SE spec) wheels on mine instead of 17" when i order it (ie just swap out a pair from an S to an SE), as there is a wider tyre choice available in the 16" size. Will this affect my odometer / speed a noticeable amount?

BTW there are proper winter tyres available for the 17" wheels, and all weather tyres, just not as wide a selection as for the 16" wheels.

mytyres.co.uk

In me experience of 2WD cars, Snow tyres are usually all you need, and if extra grip is required i have used Autosocks as a temporary measure. I drive upto sctloand a lot in winter and have used snow tyres / autosocks successfully for the last couple of years (as has my brother). With a 4WD car and snow tyres, and a pair of autosocks just in case i think you'd be fine in the UK even in the very worst winters and rural areas.

Edited by red1200

That chain issue seems to be quite common on modern cars with electronics (ABS, EPS, etc...)

By making that statement about tyre size and snow chains, I believe Skoda is only making sure they won't be liable for anything in case of chains breakage.

There is no reason for properly mounted good quality chains to break. You just have to check there is nothing touching on the inside of the tire (even when you turn the tyre all the way).

I had the same issue with my Touran mounted "sport" with 205/55 R16 tyre. VW does not permit to mount "normal" chains with that tyre combination, only the expensive TRAK, SPIKES ones.

Anyway I've been using regular chains (Maggi "One") for the past 5 years to all my skiing trips (2 a year) without a problem. I just make sure they are properly tied and centered, not too thick (only 9mm), I don't drive like a maniac, and take them off when back on asphalt.

Just my point of view, I haven't received the Yeti yet so...

And sorry for the English.

For the UK, where the snow is rarely deep enough to use chains (outside of parts of Scotland, and then only for a few weeks per year), buy Autosocks; I know several Yeti owners have done so already and report they work very well AND at speeds upto 30MPH (chain limit 12mph??).

I have had my Autosocks for about 5 years, the best money I ever spent on my car.

This is the first time I have switched to winter tyres; came close to an accident in snow just before Christmas. This I put down to the larger tyres on the Yeti compared to my previous two VAG 4x4 cars (with Haldex 2) which had 205/55 R16 as standard.

As I had driven on this size for many years I decided to select these off the list, plus winter tyres in this size are not to expensive. Drawback is there smaller than the 17" fitted as standard which means the speedo & mileage counter will over read. This is perfectly legal as your recording over actual, not the other way round.

My dealer was at first convinced they could adjust the electronics to match the tyres but this proved not to be the case on the Yeti anyway.

Other SMOC members have switched to winters but in the same size as they already have fitted (225/50 R17 or 215/60 R16) but they cannot obviously use conventional chains.

Skoda do have a wheel and tyre combination that overcomes all issues and I might have considered it myself except for expense. You can as a dealer supplied accessory purchase 17" 'Flash' alloy rims and have them fitted with 205/50 R17 tyres. These will take conventional chains and will not effect speedo readings.

Anyway if you have not found it yet I have put together a guide on tyres My link

Regards,

TP

Edited by The Plumber

Puncture Repair Gunk is useless for side wall damage or larger punctures. Living in the countryside, punctures can be a frequent occurrence. Most commonly punctures here occur after the hedges have been cut, blackthorn is the usual culprit. It has a very long hard spike that can easily penetrate tyre tread and side wall.

Winter tyres should be mandatory in GB during the winter months as it is in some EU countries, not left to owners discretion, in my view. It is not just about maintaining traction in the snow but reducing accidents in temperatures below +7 when normal tyres begin to loose grip because the rubber compounds coefficient of friction is compromised. Winter tyres have special high friction compounds that remain sticky at temperatures well below zero. They also clear standing water better and are much better suited to winter use.

No one is suggesting that chunky off road tyres are fitted as standard but they are asking that they are an option. This is a duel purpose vehicle after all, that is how it is marketed. One does not expect to have to fit smaller wheels just to facilitate the fitting of higher friction winter tyres that are a mandatory requirement in Europe. If it is a requirement then at least the manufacturer should allow the choice of the correct sized wheels in the first place and not glean additional monies out of people. It would have been very easy for Skoda to offer a choice of fitments at no cost. They seem to offer pretty wheels as an alternative fitments why not more functional wheels.

My way forward with wheels and tyres is to

a, buy a spare wheel tyre separately, of exactly same type and size that are on the other 4 wheels. (170 elegance)

b, Winter tyres will be fitted to the same rims or additional rims of the same size. I will not be faffing around with different size wheels. I may buy off road tyres. I may buy tyres of the same nominal diameter but of a narrower with and higher profile. I have not yet decided

C, Spider Spikes Alpine or sport will do for chains.

D, When additional space is required the spare will be carried on a rear mounted carrier either specially commissioned or a cycle carrier will be adapted in the short term.

I still have not yet fully committed to the Yeti. I have the money, I very nearly placed an order with Broardspeed the other day but held back. Their are still some issues in my mind about its suitability and the strange Skoda philosophy which I feel is a little crass and not very thorough. Their are some things that I really like about the car and other things that I am most unhappy abut. Much of my time on here has been spent by finding ways to overcome some of the deficiencies to make the car more suitable and convenient for country use.

Edited by Anthony 1

No one is suggesting that chunky off road tyres are fitted as standard but they are asking that they are an option.

That seems reasonable - I'd not realised that off-road tyres weren't available in 225/50/17 (there are certainly winter tyres in that size). Earlier posts (not yours!) seemed to be suggesting that it was wrong for the car to come with road tyres as standard.

Edited by Sporky McGuffin

I have not done a search to see if the exact size of off road tyre is available for the Yeti in 17" size. I do know that17" off road tyres are available. It may be that the profile and width may have to be played around with possibly. New tyre sizes are becoming available frequently from some of the larger manufactures particularly the American's BF Goodridge and General Tyre etc, I shall have to do a search. 16" wheels are better in so far as the availability of rubber of different types is concerned. It may be that I would need to get rid of the 17" and just buy loads of cheep 16" wheels instead.

Their is a growing number of potential Yeti owners coming on to this board, not just Llanigraham and myself who have off road abilities and are frustrated with the Skoda philosophy. The Yeti has been put forward as a competitor to vehicles like the Freelander II and others also. We are waiting and contributing to the forum while we formulate opinion as to the real potential of the Yeti and not just the hype. Things like wheels and tyres to us are very important. I live off road, it is impossible to get to my home without driving in the rough. Graham needs this type of vehicle because of his commitments to community rescue and other off-road pursuits. The Yeti is very new and Skoda UK are not very helpful with information, the brochures have been very confusing. Before we commit our monies we need to know that it is money well spent and not be left with that sick feeling that perhaps a Landrover Freelander, Mitsubishi Outlander or Nissan Pathfinder, something or other would have been money better spent. Yes we do know that a Discovery or Defender would do much better we both as do others have extensive off road experience. The Yeti is a great car but it has been projected into our field of expertise and we are finding some fault, putting some constructive criticism forward and solutions but we are also frustrated.

Edited by Anthony 1

Well I have been trawling the main American tyre manufactures catalogues, BF Goodridge, Cooper and General Tire, so far I can not find the correct size of tyre for the Yeti in off road patterns at 17" or 16" It might be the case hat other manufacturers might do them but I doubt it somehow. I am also looking for tyres with the same overall diameter. That is of approximately 26" to see what is available but so far nothing from over the pond, I will try some of the other US brands Mickey Thompson etc., later on.

Edited by Anthony 1

Anthony, don't bother looking, they aren't available!!

The same questions keeping coming up in Freelander world with people who have 17" or even 18" wheels, and our standard response is to go for 16" rims and tyres. I'm lucky as I'm on 15" where there is loads of choice.

The question of speedo error keeps coming up, but if you actually look into it, going from 215/70 to 225/60 actually makes very little difference to the overall rolling circumference. In fact if you study it thoroughly it is surprising how different manufacturers of the same size tyre vary in circumference..