Buying an Octavia VRS

I'm buying a 2006 34000 mile "black magic" VRS (petrol). Deposit paid.

I have had a test drive in a petrol and diesel. I am waiting for the car to come to my local skoda dealer so I can check it as the car has been sourced from another Skoda dealer.

Whatever happens I'm getting a VRS, I loved it.

Apart from the normal things to look at and ask when buying a car are there any octavia VRS specifics I should take a greater look at?

Cheers

Make sure you reverse it properly, preferably quickly. This will hightlight a dodgy gear if excessivly noisy.

Also with hand brake on try and pull away in first. If faulty it will pop out of gear. The other thing to check would be each corner of the suspension, try bouncing it. They shouldn't move that much. If they bounce about then they could be nacked.

Check all electrics including an efficient air con unit.

I know it's not vRS specific but thought it might help.

Consider paying for an independant vehicle inspection, from around £150. Gives you total peace of mind, if this is a private sale or being supplied without any sort of warranty. I could so nearly have bought a 'clocked' Honda Accord a few years back, but the £150 was money well spent ! Last year I bought a vRS estate in a private sale after an inspection told me it was all good. I hopped on a plane from Southampton to Leeds, handed over the cash and drove back home to Southampton - 1 year one couldn't be happier with the purchase. When you are spending thousands rather than hundreds it's a no brainer IMHO.

Car is coming from main dealer so I get all the benefits from the skoda approved used car package.

My local dealer Beadles did not have one in black so sourced it from john clarks dealership.

This is the one

http://www.skoda.net.r66.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=600824689

Didn't pay that price though

if you do get it inspected make sure its though somewhere that actually employ people who know what they are doing. I had a guy who bought my old saxo vts have one done on it and it nearly cost me the sale by incorrect information passed on to the seller.

Also spend some time searching the forum for any problems.

Probably won't have the MP3 stereo unless it's been retrofitted - despite what the advert says.

Nice looking car though and a few extras - climate, cruise, jumbo box etc.

Same vintage (and colour) as mine...

If the HU is an Audience it will be MP3 compatible even if it doesn't say so on it (this came as a pleasant surprise to me), but if it is a Stream then as far as I know it is only the ones with MP3 as part of the model name that are compatible - and they didn't become standard till later in the 06 model year.

Still waiting for this car........................transporter is taking its time.

Dealer said they were not aware that the car is picked up on one transporter, brought down to a point and stored in secure covered compound and then brought down south.

Should be with them tomorrow...................2 weeks..............it better be worth the wait!

Edited by Pickings01

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've had a Race Blue 06 vRS since Christmas, same kind of mileage as yours. I don't drive it like a racing car but when I need to move quickly it's a breeze in the vRS. It's reassuring to drive a comfortable car that can do the business when called upon yet still get 35mpg when driven sensibly to and from work. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.

Oh I would check out the alloys and tyres. I got mine touched uo at the dealers expense before I took delivery of mine when I bought it as an ex demo car.

I would also check with the dealer if it is set to the up to date rear camber settings. Odd rear tyre wear will result if not, check them too.

Again not vRS specific but hopefully useful.

Well got to see the car

Arrived down from Scotland but not as mint as I was expecting. Inside extremely good condition, not a scrap, nothing. Electrical no issues except rear wiper not working, looks like the motor. Engine/gearbox sweat, no problems with the running but did get a little wheel wobble around 60 mph.

Now to the Black body work, a few scraps, scratches and lots of swirls. Have asked them to Correct all of that, am I asking to much for an 06 VRS.

http://www.skoda.net...px?id=600824689

Other issues

Brakes all replaced by the other garage but were not as sharp as the test drives in other cars, bedding in! anyway the rear N/S kept locking up on emergency braking.

And the only other thing is that the pserson that said that the posting saying MP3 would be incorrect were right, no AUX in jumbo box and the stream(plain) stereo installed. Now it has AUX in the menu system so can it be added? If not what are my options?

This is all £9500 incl getting it down here. Been quoted best price by dealer as £16500 for new with maxidot, spare wheel, auto dim rear mirror/lights/wipers, rear blinds and extra for paint colour.

Thoughts and suggestions

Edited by Pickings01

Well got to see the car

Arrived down from Scotland but not as mint as I was expecting. Inside extremely good condition, not a scrap, nothing. Electrical no issues except rear wiper not working, looks like the motor. Engine/gearbox sweat, no problems with the running but did get a little wheel wobble around 60 mph.

Now to the Black body work, a few scraps, scratches and lots of swirls. Have asked them to Correct all of that, am I asking to much for an 06 VRS.

http://www.skoda.net...px?id=600824689

Other issues

Brake all replaced by the other garage but were not as sharp as the test drives in other cars, bedding in! anyway the rear N/S kept locking up on emergency braking.

And the only other thing is that the pserson that said that the posting saying MP3 would be incorrect were right, no AUX in jumbo box and the stream(plain) stereo installed. Now it has AUX in the menu system so can it be added? If not what are my options?

This is all £9500 incl getting it down here. Been quoted best price by dealer as £16500 for new with maxidot, spare wheel, auto dim rear mirror/lights/wipers, rear blinds and extra for paint colour.

Thoughts and suggestions

Hi,

I bought a 56 plate Octy VRS Petrol estate last october from a dealer abroad in scotland! I actually did a deal over the phone and drove up to pick the car up. When i saw the car i was happy enough but on closer inspection found a few minor issues with it, including no mp3 (unlike in the advert) stone chips on the bonnet, alloys not 100% perfect and a slightly worn bolster on the drivers seat. Anyway to cut a long story short i worked out that to get the car upto scratch would cost me about £500 so i got this knocked off the price and drove home.

All was well until the esp and engine management light came on which required a new ecu, this was covered by the Skoda warranty and the car now drives perfectly. The servive from my local dealer was excellent and I am very happy with the car.

I paid just over £10000 for the car with 30000 miles on the clock and as my wife correctly pointed out when I noticed the imperfections on the car - It is a 3 year old car, not a new one so you can't expect perfection.

Not sure if this helps!

Paul

Cheers Paul,

They agreed to go over the body work again so lets just hope it all goes well.

Anyone have these with the stream stereo - http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/home.php?cat=9. Any of the bottom two options look good with bluetooth. It says the CD changer still works, is this true?

• 2 weeks later...

OK

Giving up on the 06 VRS, paint work is still not as expected and dealer on about paint shop respraying and commiting to buy before they spend out on the work.

Can't blame the local dealer too much, annoyed at the scottish dealer who sold it as immaculate condition.

Now to the good news I am going to buy a new one.

Colour - I'm thinking white but black is trying to pull me away, your thoughts?

Extras - maxidot, auto dim rear view mirror pack, curtain airbags (protect the kids), full size spare wheel, rear blind, floor mats

All hopefully for around £16K

Colour - I'm thinking white but black is trying to pull me away, your thoughts?

Extras - maxidot, auto dim rear view mirror pack, curtain airbags (protect the kids), full size spare wheel, rear blind, floor mats

All hopefully for around £16K

Red or White, IMO you will not get the extra £400 for metallic back at resale time

I had auto dim mirror and rear blind -- you can not have the blind up if you want the auto mirror to work so I have not had the blind up yetemoticon-0145-shake.gif

Found the rear parking sensors useful as with the rear wing it obscures your rear vision