Who's the comedian?

yer mine is an e46 204bhp 300lbft version. Wont be staying 204bhp for long mind. I hear its possible to get this engine to 320bhp and 450lbft. ;-) haha. but surely if i can double the power of the 1.9 tdi surely................. haha

my mate has a 335d with a remap. boring auto though ;-)

I think you hit the spot there!

All things aside yes the 330D is more than likely quicker than a standard or even possibly remapped fabia vrs, however I pretty sure the fabia is a hole lot more fun to drive! :rofl:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without this turning into (if it hasnt already) a vs thread.

I remember back when my PD130 was mapped, and sorry but below what I would class as silly speeds, a 330D (of old) wouldnt keep up, infact it took a 330i or whatever the petrol version is, JUST to keep up...

Are you chickening out at going for Quattro?? :p

Does look a nice revised unit they've released for the A8 though, with a nice hike in power too. Mind you, it was well overdue, to keep up with Munich :)

Steve

Are you chickening out at going for Quattro?? emoticon-0110-tongueout.gif

Does look a nice revised unit they've released for the A8 though, with a nice hike in power too. Mind you, it was well overdue, to keep up with Munich emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Steve

My plan is to sell the Sedici next month and see where I stand with money after that. If things go well I would love either the 330D SE with a few choice extras (the better drivers car Imho and noticeably more economical) or the Quattro with Sports Diff and at least the Drive select dampers (not sure if the steering is worth it, or even if I could afford it) with similar toys. Funnily enough, the 2 cars work out at almost the same price when I spec them the way I would like them.

Evenly priced maybe, but I know which one would be the more satisfying driver's car :)

For both I think I would be sticking to their default suspension arrangement, and having some FSDs fitted :thumbup:

I haven't been that impressed with the VAG adjustable system, especially for the money it can cost as an option. I experienced it on the Rocco and while the change in settings are noticeable, I believe the FSDs would be more flexible.

Without this turning into (if it hasnt already) a vs thread.

I remember back when my PD130 was mapped, and sorry but below what I would class as silly speeds, a 330D (of old) wouldnt keep up, infact it took a 330i or whatever the petrol version is, JUST to keep up...

That makes sense...my dad's E39 530D was reasonably quick to 60-70mph, but not noticeably quicker than a PD130. It's beyond those speeds that the real difference was! :o Where the PD130 would start to run out of steam, the 530D just kept on going. Damn fine car it was too...gutted that he sold it for a Polo.

As an aside, I think comparing a 1.9-litre 4-cylinder turbodiesel with a 3-litre 6-cylinder turbodiesel doesn't make a whole lot of sense ;)

Evenly priced maybe, but I know which one would be the more satisfying driver's car emoticon-0100-smile.gif

For both I think I would be sticking to their default suspension arrangement, and having some FSDs fitted emoticon-0148-yes.gif

I haven't been that impressed with the VAG adjustable system, especially for the money it can cost as an option. I experienced it on the Rocco and while the change in settings are noticeable, I believe the FSDs would be more flexible.

I think the A4 system might be slightly cruder than the Sirocco’s? But at least with Quattro I wouldn’t worry about snow and ice so much. I am still waiting for somebody to write up a full test of their experiences of RWD + Winter Tyres + big hills. BMW are chasing me for the sale, whereas Audi are truly pathetic at following up. Still, they are both nice cars.

The part which makes me laugh is faster than a 3.0l diesel bmw 40-70

Funnily enough i did exactly this the other day on my way into work. The BMW was infront of me.. we were doing around 40 when the lane cleared and we both put our feet down.. strangely.. he left be behind!

We weren't racing, just both took the chance to speed up.. Dunno how hard he pushed his pedal though... could have most likely gotten away from me even faster if they'd wanted to.

My 123D has similar power and torx figures to the older 330D and weighs about the same (hard to believe my little 1 series weighs over 1.5 tonnes!!) and having tested it against one or two Furby vRS’sssss that have been remapped and possibly slightly a bit more on top, I would say it is still slightly quicker. But the gearing on my car is slightly shorter than the 330D’s so accelerating in 5th or 6th gear would probably be a little bit quicker. I can’t see how a lightly modified Furby is quicker than a 330D. Mind you, I think Shifty’s old car might give them a scare :D

I remember going flat out (in an appropriate place naturally) and being fractionally faster at top speed...................................

............then Shifty took his Blackpool Illumination lighting rig off the front of his bonnet and I was left in a cloud of Sooty Briquettes :D

"I can’t see how a lightly modified Furby is quicker than a 330D."

bit less bhp...same if not more tork...300kgs lighter

Well my actual experience as stated above, with similar weight, power and torque to the older 330D, showed the BMW is clearly quicker, if not be a huge amount.

when my fabia had only a remap i was amazed how quick it went 30-80 ish and tried it a few times with my mate driving my merc which has 300+ bhp and in third from 40-80 ish the merc could not gain an inch and i know the merc is quicker than a 330d so for that reason i cant believe a standard 330d with same or less tork but crucially 300kgs heavier than a remapped fabia would be quicker.

only my opinion tho.

Mind you, I think Shifty’s old car might give them a scare :D

I remember going flat out (in an appropriate place naturally) and being fractionally faster at top speed...................................

............then Shifty took his Blackpool Illumination lighting rig off the front of his bonnet and I was left in a cloud of Sooty Briquettes :D

Fancy another go at beating it then Lady E????

I don't want to be following again this time... I could hear the large bits of coal being fired out of the back of the ShiftyMobile and hitting the front of my car :rofl:

I don't want to be following again this time... I could hear the large bits of coal being fired out of the back of the ShiftyMobile and hitting the front of my car :rofl:

Nowadays the little Shifty Fabia doesn't smoke quite as bad as it did when I first got it. A few tweaks here and there have helped. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying it doesn't smoke at all!!! ;)

Fancy another go at beating it then Lady E????

Yes please as long as you fit the lights back on emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

I don't want to be following again this time... I could hear the large bits of coal being fired out of the back of the ShiftyMobile and hitting the front of my car emoticon-0140-rofl.gif

I lifted off and moved into a different County to get away from the briquettes!

Yes, that was pre-Washbrook emoticon-0100-smile.gif

I would bloody hope it's better now, at least the injectors are mapped in properly now! I had to switch to re-circ emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif

Recirc!!!!! I raised my deflector shields

(can I add i am not a Trekie geek, I watched the movie recently emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif )

Edited by Lady Elanore

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that a remapped VRS is quicker than a 330 diesel. The look on their face when they think to just keep pushing in a high gear is quickly turned to a sick grin. This is on a reasonably straight road, of course.

The best fun is on the A40 heading towards Oxford, just before the Witney bypass.

The VRS is just on boost in 6th at 55 as we go round the roundabout, and the assorted BMWs behind sit on the bumper as we just keep going and they drop back 50 meters on each gear change!

The best fun.

Uncle Pete

Fook me, I can't even begin to imagine how bad it must have been back then! You must have been brave man to travel behind it Steve. The soot cloud must have been immense!

It was very bad. The map you have on now provides enough over fuelling to make water meth effective, seriously - please re fit it. You won't believe the difference to the back of the car, and to the performance. I hope you like my exhaust mod too ;).

I'm pretty sure my very lightly fettled 328i was as quick as the Shifty-Fabia with meth though, and the 328i "only" had about 220bhp (and a full interior ;) ). :p

I was hoping the meth was holding it back if anything Dave ;)

I agree that a remapped VRS is quicker than a 330 diesel. The look on their face when they think to just keep pushing in a high gear is quickly turned to a sick grin. This is on a reasonably straight road, of course.

The best fun is on the A40 heading towards Oxford, just before the Witney bypass.

The VRS is just on boost in 6th at 55 as we go round the roundabout, and the assorted BMWs behind sit on the bumper as we just keep going and they drop back 50 meters on each gear change!

The best fun.

Uncle Pete

So why is my 123D faster than a remapped Fabia?