Time for a new Octavia

Hi Guys

Im a bit of a lurker but thought I'd say hi and ask everyone's opinion on my next car. Currently driving a 2004 54 plate Octavia 1.6FSI with 27k on the clock and would keep it longer as its been fantastic - reliable, cheap to run and excellent dealer after sales service. However the current VAT free on all Octavia's and 3 years 0% finance has me ready to visit my local dealer cash in hand (that and a 2 year old, wife and parents who need chauffeured around :)). I do have enough savings for the 50% deposit and Im based in Lanarkshire (Central Scotland).

I fancy the Octavia Estate 1.4TSI Elegance (DSG) which comes in at £15,033.19 with the following options

Heated Seats £260.00

Metallic Paint £410.00

Silver Roof Rails £130.00

Sunset Glass £210.00

Spare Wheel £55.00

Inc VAT on the extras / ex vat on the Car itself I get the price to £16,098.19.

1. How much negotiation do you think I can get on price / cost to change ? Glass shows my FSI as circa £3500 - £4000 . I'd like to think I could get a CTC of around £12K (Approx £4100 for my FSI or additional discount on the extras. Possible ?

2. What metallic colour looks best ? My FSI is Silver. Open to recommendations.

3. Anything other models / makes I should consider ? the £16100 is about as high as I can go.

Would welcome your comments.

Cheers

J

Hmm looks like I got ahead of myself - just spotted in the small print that the 0% finance is only on the L&K, Scout, 4x4 and vRS. Looks like Im back to the drawing board :( Cant afford it without the 0%.

Hi Guys

Im a bit of a lurker but thought I'd say hi and ask everyone's opinion on my next car. Currently driving a 2004 54 plate Octavia 1.6FSI with 27k on the clock and would keep it longer as its been fantastic - reliable, cheap to run and excellent dealer after sales service. However the current VAT free on all Octavia's and 3 years 0% finance has me ready to visit my local dealer cash in hand (that and a 2 year old, wife and parents who need chauffeured around :)). I do have enough savings for the 50% deposit and Im based in Lanarkshire (Central Scotland).

I fancy the Octavia Estate 1.4TSI Elegance (DSG) which comes in at £15,033.19 with the following options

Heated Seats £260.00

Metallic Paint £410.00

Silver Roof Rails £130.00

Sunset Glass £210.00

Spare Wheel £55.00

Inc VAT on the extras / ex vat on the Car itself I get the price to £16,098.19.

1. How much negotiation do you think I can get on price / cost to change ? Glass shows my FSI as circa £3500 - £4000 . I'd like to think I could get a CTC of around £12K (Approx £4100 for my FSI or additional discount on the extras. Possible ?

2. What metallic colour looks best ? My FSI is Silver. Open to recommendations.

3. Anything other models / makes I should consider ? the £16100 is about as high as I can go.

Cheers

J

Why do you need the estate boot massive on saloon, unless you need to move a piano?

Why do you need the estate boot massive on saloon, unless you need to move a piano?

I tend to end up lugging stuff around - e.g. Electric wheelchair as my mother has Parkinsons along with usual kids stuff. We can fill the boot on the hatch when we go our hols as it is :)

Hmm looks like I got ahead of myself - just spotted in the small print that the 0% finance is only on the L&K, Scout, 4x4 and vRS. Looks like Im back to the drawing board :( Cant afford it without the 0%.

Is skoda still not doing the lower rate finance? I was going for the 0% but went for the lower finance which was only £500 more simply so I did not have to fully commit all my savings towards the purchase of it. Plus being over 3 years instead of 2 the monthy payments are less.

see: http://www.skoda.co.uk/offers/offers.aspx?section=4#offer295

i think HP iis only about 4% so really wouldn't be much over 2 years. It's still a buyers market so push for the best deal possible. As said elsewhere the VAT free covers extras too, or maybe see if something can be thrown in for free.

Finally, although I drive an Elegance FL, and think the extras over SE are nice to have, I'm not sure they add c£1100 worth of quality of life! You might go for SE and decide which extras are really worth paying for. And if anything the SE has a slightly more comfortable ride on 15" wheels. Just a thought.

i think HP iis only about 4% so really wouldn't be much over 2 years. It's still a buyers market so push for the best deal possible. As said elsewhere the VAT free covers extras too, or maybe see if something can be thrown in for free.

Finally, although I drive an Elegance FL, and think the extras over SE are nice to have, I'm not sure they add c£1100 worth of quality of life! You might go for SE and decide which extras are really worth paying for. And if anything the SE has a slightly more comfortable ride on 15" wheels. Just a thought.

Thanks for the input. Im planning on keeping this one for at least another 6 years or more so over say 6 years I think I'll appreciate the extras like cruise control (I really miss it in my current Octi).

Cheers

J

If your planning on keeping it for 6 years , bear in mind that the DSG gearbox is in excess of £4000.00 to change should it wear and fail.

Ive just ordered a 1.8 estate DSG but plan on changing it on 3 years time.

I got a 1.5% APR deal on my elegance and given that you pay it off over 3 years rather than 2 with the 0% it makes it just as cheap I think. A nice metallic colour is Anthracite Grey - though it is becoming rather popular. If you prefer more of a colour then I've also seen the dark blue metallic (no idea what its called) and that was really nice too.

Hi Guys

Cheers

J

Buy a standard VRS FL for around £16200 at the 0% and VAT-free offer from your Skoda dealer...simples

Buy a standard VRS FL for around £16200 at the 0% and VAT-free offer from your Skoda dealer...simples

LOL VRS was my first choice but wife wouldnt entertain it - doesnt like the seats or ride :(

I got a 1.5% APR deal on my elegance and given that you pay it off over 3 years rather than 2 with the 0% it makes it just as cheap I think. A nice metallic colour is Anthracite Grey - though it is becoming rather popular. If you prefer more of a colour then I've also seen the dark blue metallic (no idea what its called) and that was really nice too.

I actually really like the cappuccino - must be getting older :)

Thanks for all the comments etc.

Finally settled on:-

Octavia Estate 1.4TSI Elegance (DSG) in Metallic Cappuccino

3 spoke steering wheel with stereo controls / Maxidot / paddles

Sunset Glass

Spare Wheel

Went a little more than I intended but reasonably happy with the deal etc.

Cheers

J

Thanks for all the comments etc.

Finally settled on:-

Octavia Estate 1.4TSI Elegance (DSG) in Metallic Cappuccino

3 spoke steering wheel with stereo controls / Maxidot / paddles

Sunset Glass

Spare Wheel

Went a little more than I intended but reasonably happy with the deal etc.

Cheers

J

Congrats!

Mind if I ask where you got a 1.5% deal from?

j_hankey:

So you were given a quote of 16.100£ for your first order,VAT free Octy Estate Elegance 1.4TSI DSG + a few extras. That's interesting, because when i was inquiring about similar spec in Belfast, and got a quote of 13.000£. Right, it's "just" a hatch-back (cca 1k cheaper), but with metallic paint (cappuccino beige, as yours), curtain airbags, light assist and maxidot i'm paying the price mentioned above. It's a car that will be imported to ROI, and more than half of that price will be paid to ever-greedy-unforgiving government in form of VAT and VRT. So if you're buying VAT free Octavia (as i did) should you not be paying similar price+1000£ more for an estate. Or are there two different levels of VAT free Skodas, for UK and export, respectively???

Slightly out of topic: nearly nobody seems to mention ordering Maxi-Dot as an extra for Elegance octavias. Is it standard, then? I found among extras in the brochure. My order is TSI DSG Elegance, and my dealer happily let me pay 100£ for it. Hopefully, i'm not being ripped. Or, am I.......?