Snow-Monster wheels a survey

The Plumber

The wheel debate  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Preferred factory fitted wheels for the SE

• Steel rims 7J 16 with Rif covers
    • 7J 16" Spectrum
    • 7J 16" Moon (not currently available in the UK)
    • 7J 17" Dolomite
    • 7J 17" Spitzberg
    • 7J 17" Annapurna
    • 7J 17" Annapurna silver/black (not UK again)
    • 6J 17" Flash (for winter tyre option)
    • None of these are suitable for my requirements
  2. 2. Preferred factory fitted wheels for the Elegance

• Steel rims 7J 16 with Rif covers
    • 7J 16" Spectrum
    • 7J 16" Moon (not currently available in the UK)
    • 7J 17" Dolomite
    • 7J 17" Spitzberg
    • 7J 17" Annapurna
    • 7J 17" Annapurna silver/black (not UK again)
    • 6J 17" Flash (for winter tyre option)
  3. 3. Last available question: tyres for factory fit

• 205/55 R16 H or V rated summer
    • 205/55 R16 H or V rated all season
    • 205/55 R16 H or V rated winter
    • 215/60 R16 H rated summer
    • 215/60 R16 H rated all season
    • 215/60 R16 H rated winter
    • 205/50 R17 H rated summer
    • 205/50 R17 H rated all season
    • 205/50 R17 H rated winter
    • 225/50 R17 W rated Summer
    • 225/50 R17 H or V rated all season
    • 225/50 R17 H or V rated winter
    • Suitable sized all terrain / off-road tyre to fit standard Yeti rims

Knowing how controversial the views and opinions are regard Monster footwear I decided to carry out another TP survey.

I am primarily going to look at the SE and Elegance (no disrespect to the S & E) and this is a free for all debate. If I get a good and fare response I may be inclined to e-mail the result to SUK :rofl:

Also included a tyre question with all currently specified tyres sizes and options of summer winter or all season.

Finally I am only allowing one vote a question to try get a definitive wish list from each SMOC member or guest.

Regards,

TP

oh to view wheel options if your unfamiliar My link

Edited by The Plumber

Have posted the "225/50 R17 H or V rated all season" on the understanding the tyres would have a mountain and snow rating.

Don't want to downsize and have the additional cost of purchase and the inconvenience of storing additional wheels and tyres because the Yeti Elegance cannot take snow chains

TP,

Is the purpose of his pole to show the importers that people may want to specify differently from what they have chosen for us?

That perhaps they may then consider making some changes for the future when people order a new Yeti?

That they may consider bringing in additional stock in order that it would be possible to buy an additional stet of wheels/tyres.

That owners with recently purchase Yeti might swap at no or minimum cost to a different set of wheels or tyres or both?

I have not yet completed my selection. I would like 16" wheels, 215/60R16 All season tyres. Possibly plus additional set of the same size 215/60R16 winter tyre

Wheels undecided on particular 16" wheel but if there was a price reduction for choosing steel on a new car then I would buy steel and then buy 2 or more sets.

I would specify the 215/60R16 as these give the tallest height that is greater clearance under the vehicle, give the best ride, give the greatest traction on most surfaces including mud, sand snow and ice and give the greatest gearing.

I would like future Yeti modified to allow fitting of snow chains on this size 215/60R16 front and rear. Failing that, I would like them to review and recommend chains such as the Spike Spider and similar, which I believe will fit on this size both front and rear!

Then, this would be perfect for me!

It should be noted that a post concerning a serious loss of control on a hill descent has been deleted from this thread together with the replies.

Surely that sequence of posts would have urged Skoda to take urgent action on this matter.

This is far far worse than the Toyota accelerator problem when all you would have to do is depress the clutch and/or turn off the ignition!

People like us are encouraged to purchase 4WD to cope with snow conditions and could end up in a serious accident for accepting in good faith that Skoda have fitted the best possible tyre on this SUV.

It should be noted that a post concerning a serious loss of control on a hill descent has been deleted from this thread together with the replies.

Surely that sequence of posts would have urged Skoda to take urgent action on this matter.

This is far far worse than the Toyota accelerator problem when all you would have to do is depress the clutch and/or turn off the ignition!

People like us are encouraged to purchase 4WD to cope with snow conditions and could end up in a serious accident for accepting in good faith that Skoda have fitted the best possible tyre on this SUV.

:o Speechless :D

I voted Dolomites for the Elegance because I think they just suit the car better although the Spizburg's look ok with certain body colours (red, white)

I can see why people would want smaller wheel options though.

Again, maybe this comes down to a Skoda UK issue? Maybe they should give more options on what wheels AND tyres you want factory fitted?

Maybe at least the 4x4 versions should be fitted with an all season tyre?

Is it possible to have a "run flat" option ?

I've specced TPM and a spare wheel - however if RF were available, I'd have gone for that (TPM as standard).

have them on my people carrier - only downside is they're £200 a corner...

Apparently if really bad snow and ice, you can lety all the air out for extra grip - not tried this though !

I've specced TPM and a spare wheel - however if RF were available, I'd have gone for that (TPM as standard).

Apparently if really bad snow and ice, you can lety all the air out for extra grip - not tried this though !

Seems a good idea having regard to the fact that a spare wheel is not provided!

What are the pros and cons of a run flat - I read somewhere that there could be repair difficulties after they had been utilised in the run flat mode.

Sincere apologies - the sequence of posts have not been deleted - they were on a different thread

They were in this thread:- Increasing order backlog

Hi again Terfyn,

at the time I was descending a fairly steep single track road, travelling down a straight section with hill decent and 1st gear engaged. Road had a good blanket of snow and been travelled down by a Tiguan moments before. Front lost grip and began to slide forward next thing I knew back end gave up completely and overtook the front. Continued to slide down the hill backwards with a stalled engine until coming to rest in the verge just missing a tree :( :S

After that I had to descend the hill backwards by reversing in and out the verge to stop the sliding until the road was wide enough again to turn round. The verge was still required to brake the slides or for the back to swing into thus preventing it overtaking the front again. Mystified how she completed that 180 without hitting anything, the road was very narrow at that point.

Decided after that winter tyres were a must and they have proved far superior to summer tyres. The only thing I'm finding after an over reading 2000 miles is a mild vibration has started to appear through the chassis, which I believe is from the winters on the rough road surface (hope that's the case anyway) which is adding a little extra accomplishment to the odd chatter and creak I still get from the dash :S

Despite these foibles I'm still very happy with the marvellous Monster, she's been a godsend this winter especially now she's got the right shoes :)

The only down side is, that Run Flats are very unforgiving and as hard as nails price is just another issue. Run flat tyres are one of the biggest pains and moans on BMW websites and the very much detract from BMW famed handling.

There are loads of complaints from BMW drivers about run flats as they make the ride very hard and bumpy. Each to their own and why not as an option but the concept of run flats, very good, is not as good in reality.

I think the trouble with BMW and RunFlat is that it's a combination of sports suspension and run flats - i.e. two stiff components.

Have runflats on the wife's Smax, and there are no problems at all - gives extra peace of mind. She trashed a tyre on the previous touran as she got a sudden blowout on the M6, so decided to carry on to the next junction (quite rightly, in my opinion !).

Given that the ride/handling of the Yeti seems to be universally praised, I doubt it would be an issue.

I voted for 16in Moon wheels on the SE because I would always go for a smaller wheel and higher profile tyre out of choice to maintain ride quality and reduce road noise. If I had been looking at an SE, rather than my 'S', then the 17in wheels, whilst visually more appealing for some, would put me off slightly.

TP,

Is the purpose of his pole to show the importers that people may want to specify differently from what they have chosen for us?

That perhaps they may then consider making some changes for the future when people order a new Yeti?

That they may consider bringing in additional stock in order that it would be possible to buy an additional stet of wheels/tyres.

That owners with recently purchase Yeti might swap at no or minimum cost to a different set of wheels or tyres or both?

I have not yet completed my selection. I would like 16" wheels, 215/60R16 All season tyres. Possibly plus additional set of the same size 215/60R16 winter tyre

Wheels undecided on particular 16" wheel but if there was a price reduction for choosing steel on a new car then I would buy steel and then buy 2 or more sets.

I would specify the 215/60R16 as these give the tallest height that is greater clearance under the vehicle, give the best ride, give the greatest traction on most surfaces including mud, sand snow and ice and give the greatest gearing.

I would like future Yeti modified to allow fitting of snow chains on this size 215/60R16 front and rear. Failing that, I would like them to review and recommend chains such as the Spike Spider and similar, which I believe will fit on this size both front and rear!

Then, this would be perfect for me!

Hi Anthony,

apologies for not getting back to your question sooner. The original idea was to try and establish the overall preference for a particular design or size of wheel rim and tyre size or type for both the SE and the Elegance. There have been a number of posts on the subject so I felt a survey may unravel some fact from fiction so to speak.

If the result differs considerably from that already specified by SUK I would consider sending them the results. Whether they would take any notice of a small survey from a reasonably unknown organisation called the Snow-Monsters Owners Club (SMOC) is another matter :rofl:

Interesting to see so far that all season tyres are proving popular despite some reviews that suggest they are a compromise in terms of seasonal ability. With regard to the Elegance camp, they like the standard Spitzburg or the optional 'Anna' but the SE cohort are more split between 16" or 17" rim of one design or another, except the Spitzburg which does not get a look in. This is in line with the European SE equivalent specification not the UK's were the standard is 16" but there's a 17" option.

Regards,

TP

edit typo

Edited by The Plumber

One other thought to throw in the mix regard UK spec is the tyre speed rating. In Europe they appear to be fitting the 16" H rated rim an tyre combination no matter which engine is fitted.

In the UK they appear to have limited the H rated tyres to the the two smallest output engines as fitted to the E and S whereas the SE and Elegance which offer the more powerful motors get the 17" and W rated tyres as standard.

With the H being rated up to 130mph this is very close to the limit of a CR 140's capability and on or just under that of the 170 and the 1.8 TSI. Therefore have we been given 17" due to UK safety legislation or SUK not wanting to be hit with the 'where's there blame there's a claim'?

TP

One other thought to throw in the mix regard UK spec is the tyre speed rating. In Europe they appear to be fitting the 16" H rated rim an tyre combination no matter which engine is fitted.

In the UK they appear to have limited the H rated tyres to the the two smallest output engines as fitted to the E and S whereas the SE and Elegance which offer the more powerful motors get the 17" and W rated tyres as standard.

With the H being rated up to 130mph this is very close to the limit of a CR 140's capability and on or just under that of the 170 and the 1.8 TSI. Therefore have we been given 17" due to UK safety legislation or SUK not wanting to be hit with the 'where's there blame there's a claim'?

TP

I think that legally they could getaway with H rated 130 mph tyres as the official max of the 170CR is 125. I suspect though that on the Autobahn the Yeti 170 CR might well exceed it supposed maxim and may go on past 130 mph so perhaps a V rated tyre might be more prudent for them to choose because of the possible litigation.

Edited by Anthony 1

prefferred wheels on the SE is 17" Dolomites - most of the posts i've seen owners or prospective owners find the most disliked thing is those wheels (or lack of options).

Your correct, it is the lack of options that grates.

I would be happy with steel 16" wheels with 215/60R16 tyres from what they have available even summer. I would then just an additional set with the money saved for winter tyres, that is two sets of 5 wheels. I think that Skoda would do better out of me that way and possibly others also. If I do not get what I want then, I may sell the wheels and tyres that it comes with and buy two sets of aftermarket wheels with tyres that I do want. Then inform the insurers what I have done so that there is no funny business from them.

Edited by Anthony 1

I like the dolomites on my Snowmonster. Also my understanding of tyre speed ratings is that you should have a rating 20% higher than the car's top speed.

If that is correct, it must be to allow a safe margin for occasions when we can rev out, in legal places of course